Fallout 4 CTD/ General Instability Even With Less Than 25 Mods.

zhuemin

So I'm running a Lenovo Legion 5 with 16gb of ram the rtx 2060 and a i7 10750 cpu. If anything I figure my cpu is the weakest part of my setup. That being said within the last couple of weeks I've done multiple installs of fallout 4 because of CTD's. The first time I was running over 100 mods and got about 20 hours into a playthrough before having issues. Then I did a clean install etc and started loading a mod or two testing exiting etc. Still ended up getting CTD by the red rocket truck stop (sanctuary) so I did another clean install. I uninstalled all mod managers (I was using vortex but thought maybe that was the culprit so I am now using MO2) then Installed F04 and cleaned the dlc's and installed FO4SE, literally nothing else. I was able to go through the torturous vanilla start and get out of the vault with zero problems. So I added Start me up and XDI. That seemed to be running fine so I added MCM and basically some character creation mods. Then I installed the UFO4P and some other mods that alter appearance maybe I should have started with this but since I'm using MO2 I figured it wouldn't matter when I installed a mod but rather making sure it's in the proper place in the load order. Maybe I'm incorrect in that assumption. I'll attach a file that has my load order, But these are the mods I'm using:

Achievements

Appealing Moles

CBBE

Commonwealth Cuts

DeLuxe Mas

XDI

Extended Hair Colors for Looks Menu

Eye Liner Masks

Eye Normal Map Fix

Faster Terminal Displays 5x

Immersive Mouth and Teeth

Looks Menu & Customization Compendium

Lots More Facial Hair

MCM

Start Me Up Normal Dialogue & Patches for Far Harbor/NukaWorld

The Eyes OF Beauty

UFO4P

Load Order =

(FYI I manually downloaded the archives and installed them with MO2 that way instead of using the mod manager download)

Honestly at this point I'm ready to give up on modding. I've been out of practice for a couple years but I don't ever remember having this many issues. I've spent the majority of my free time the last couple weeks perusing forums watching youtube videos and staring at the computer screen trying to figure out why fallout 4 just doesn't want to cooperate. I installed, cleaned dlc's, edited INI's. (to the best of my knowledge idk if it should just be fallout4prefs or fallout4custom or what and what changes other than the ones under {Archive}) I also have the most recent script extender and it seems no matter what I do even with a very small light mod list I'm getting CTD, in character creation at that.

I know it's kind of a lot but I figured I'd reach out to the community in the hopes of finding some sort of solution to the problem. Thanks in advance for anyone who can provide me an iota of information that could be useful.

Sincerely,

an out of practice modder at their wits end.

Guest deleted34304850

curious as to why you think a mod manager would be the cause rather than the mods you've installed?

curious as to why you think a mod manager would be the cause rather than the mods you've installed?

You definitely make a good point. After posting and doing some more trouble shooting I realized my issue was failing to make the proper ini edits in the MO2 application. Since then it's been running smooth. I have a decent number of mods installed mainly texture and CBBE related and it's doing ok. I think when I was using vortex I did something wonky with my ini edits. I also decided to use XDI instead of FDI with Start me up since XDI is a bit more simplistic and doesn't need compatibility patches. Overall I've tried to trim some of the fat off of my load order.

I feel your pain. Sometimes instead of relaxing you, the game infuriates. Check this out and see if it can help:

https://themidnightride.github.io/index.html

Also

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23556

I have not tried the former but the BiRaitBec Modlist is very popular and the guide is very detailed. There is a discord channel where you can get a lot more info. There is an updated guide available in Discord. The instructions are easy to understand and I have seen performance gains with respect to textures and the like. Many times, if you are not sure about an ini, don't mess with it unless you have a good source to go by. I have made that mistake more than once.

One piece of advice which is also mentioned by the BiRaitBec Modlist is to install the game directly into your C drive not the program directory which is default. It would require that you completely uninstall Fallout from your computer and when Steam asks you where to install the game, pick the C drive (hopefully an SSD) c:\Games this way your Microsoft Defender and all the other stuff meant to protect your PC will not impact your game files by blocking certain mods or actions taken by mods. It can be frustrating, but once you have a stable set-up, it will be fun.

Hope this helps.

Forgot to add this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/50005?tab=files

I feel your pain. Sometimes instead of relaxing you, the game infuriates. Check this out and see if it can help:

https://themidnightride.github.io/index.html

Also

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23556

I have not tried the former but the BiRaitBec Modlist is very popular and the guide is very detailed. There is a discord channel where you can get a lot more info. There is an updated guide available in Discord. The instructions are easy to understand and I have seen performance gains with respect to textures and the like. Many times, if you are not sure about an ini, don't mess with it unless you have a good source to go by. I have made that mistake more than once.

One piece of advice which is also mentioned by the BiRaitBec Modlist is to install the game directly into your C drive not the program directory which is default. It would require that you completely uninstall Fallout from your computer and when Steam asks you where to install the game, pick the C drive (hopefully an SSD) c:\Games this way your Microsoft Defender and all the other stuff meant to protect your PC will not impact your game files by blocking certain mods or actions taken by mods. It can be frustrating, but once you have a stable set-up, it will be fun.

Hope this helps.

Forgot to add this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/50005?tab=files

I wasn't aware of the first or 3rd and definitely thought about installing the second but was intimidated by how long the mod list was. Maybe I'll have to give it a try and check the discord out.

Also thanks for the last one, it's definitely going to be useful!