Cant Save Game

KnightTobi

You probably have a corrupt save. Quick saves and autosaves will eventually cause these. Quick saves overwrite the previous file, and every time that happens it increases the chance of a corruption.

I recommend you go back to your last full save ans see if that loads and saves. If it does, start from there. Disable quick saves and auto saves to greatly diminish the chance of save game corruption in the future.

Also, do not continue adding/removing mods or tweaks to a stable game. The more you do this the more likely that you will end up with a game that you canot play.

One thing you can do is to go to an earlier save that allows you to get out. Obviously, if you rely on autosaves or quicksaves that could mean a LOT of lost game play (more on that in a moment). One thing you can try is after loading your problem save, bring up the console by tapping the tilde key (~) and typing the following command then hit enter.

coc riverwood

If all goes well you'll see a loading screen and appear just outside of Riverwood. Sometimes using the coc command will work when using the normal in-game method of exiting a cell fails, it's worth a try..

To guarantee in the future that you won't lose hours of gameplay in the event that a quicksave or autosave gets corrupted, yet still enjoy the convenience of using them, I recommend using a good savegame manager that automatically converts quicksaves and autosaves into actual hard saves. I prefer Skyrim Character Helper, the link is in my signature.

Good luck!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...