How to make hanged npcs (Just thought I'd share.)

Surjamte

Glad I happened upon this thread. I was surprised there weren't any mods for gallows or nooses, or making a hanged man. I'd be interested in having a few NPCs hanged outside a fort somewhere. With a little bit of tweaking, I'd like to make it so they sway seemingly in the wind. Another nice addition would be to have the NPC with bound hands like our Dragonborn is when he/she is first a prisoner.

• 1 month later...

I just did this, but my npc seems to be swaying in the wind, I mean swinging wildly. It's funny to watch but it there a way to keep it to a slight sway? I clicked "Don't havok settle," before, the person was just crumpled on the ground.

I clicked on don't havok settle on both the npc and rope. Worked fine except the rope, with NPC attached moved around like a balloon in high wind and still attached to the gallows. So I used a collision cube and that seemed to fix it. Now I just get a gentle sway, which is what I was looking for.

• 1 month later...

Nice work. I did find that if you set the RigidBodyDummy at the top of the rope, it works a lot better. Not sure where that is - go to All, type rigidbodydummy in the filter box and it'll pop up. Drop it into the scene and put it at the top of the rope, and select that in the Script options. As well, I LinkRef'd the rope to the Dummy, but I'm not sure if that's required.

I'll be adding this to my Thalmor Hunters mod :D

• 6 months later...

Did anyone get this to work reliably, if so how? I've tried this and managed to get it to sort of work but it's very unreliable. If you save in the cell go through a load door, come back again sometimes the rope disappears, sometimes the rope goes rigid at an angle, rope ends up through the centre of the NPCs head ect.

Edited by MaximumPain

• 3 months later...

Did anyone get this to work reliably, if so how? I've tried this and managed to get it to sort of work but it's very unreliable. If you save in the cell go through a load door, come back again sometimes the rope disappears, sometimes the rope goes rigid at an angle, rope ends up through the centre of the NPCs head ect.

Same problem here. Most of the time the rope gets tilted at a horizontal angle and the NPC swings wildly in all directions. I tried using RigidBodyDummy or using collision cubes as suggested above but this doesn't seem to be making much of a difference. I'm not sure if it is even possible to get this to work correctly or if the script is broken.

Edited by lemonhead01

• 1 year later...

I clicked on don't havok settle on both the npc and rope. Worked fine except the rope, with NPC attached moved around like a balloon in high wind and still attached to the gallows. So I used a collision cube and that seemed to fix it. Now I just get a gentle sway, which is what I was looking for.

Can you post a screenshot how you set up the collision cube? Do you attach it to the rope or to the corpse?

• 1 year later...

I am following these exact steps and have tried everything and cant get this to work! :( the bodies that I target for the rope to connect to don't connect to it they just fall to the ground as if nothing happened. is there any extra settings Im missing or do I need to connect the corpse at a specific spot to get them to attach? plz help I know Im a couple years late but I just dont get why this works flawlessly for everyone else and doesnt work for me

• 2 months later...

With ChrisKley's mod Gallows of Skyrim I found jakeoberg's Hang Man Script Tutorial which led me here.

I had worked on this very thing not long ago and figured out how to do things right.

So I started a page called Jebbalon's Stuff - first item on it is an Example mod for using my modified Hanged Man script.