GPU spiking when starting Vortex

Drevan80
Go to solution Solved by Guest deleted34304850,

• Solution
Guest deleted34304850

go to settings, under advanced, disable gpu acceleration, see what happens?

Keep in mind, GPU utilization is not necessarily a bad thing.

Use Google to search for "what tasks can be offloaded to the gpu" to give you some insight.

For array operations, your CPU may have 8 cores that can process in parallel. Your GPU - may have thousands.

Guest deleted34304850

i must admit, i've never once found a reason to do this personally. i really don't care if my gpu spikes, that's what its there for.

Well Vortex work a lot better together with my computer after I disabled GPU acceleration

Some people were having a permanent "Blur" screen, (Like how the vortex blurred screen blurs the background screen when there's a window open in front, with Vortex)

Turning off GPU acceleration helped in those cases too.

So far, turning that acceleration off has helped in two different types of instances.

Without GPU acceleration scrolling in long lists in particular will be noticeably slower, e.g. scrolling in the mod list if you have a lot of them.

But yes, if you have GPU acceleration enabled, Vortex will be affected by global driver settings, e.g. if you have FXAA enabled globally (which is not the default for any graphics card ever) instead of on a per-game basis, Vortex will look blurry.

This isn't only true for Vortex btw, most modern UI toolkits use GPU acceleration in some capacity hence I would generally advice against changing any global driver settings.

The GPU load spiking is weird, on my system I can barely see a difference in GPU utilization between Vortex running or not, but there are so many factors that may affect this, maybe it's a driver thing?

However if this is only at start time or something you only see in a load monitor: why bother?