Masterlist issue

tizl

So I am running Windows 10, recently installed Vortex, downloaded and installed a mod list, then fixed dependencies, only to realize the masterlist could not be updated. Vortex seems not to be able to communicate with Github. Here is the error I am getting:

Error: Git operation failed. Details: -1; failed to send request: A connection with the server could not be established
: libgit2 error
at l.handleResponse (C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar.unpacked\bundledPlugins\gamebryo-plugin-management\index.js:31:34813)
at C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar.unpacked\bundledPlugins\gamebryo-plugin-management\index.js:31:33289
at Array.forEach (<anonymous>)
at Socket.<anonymous> (C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar.unpacked\bundledPlugins\gamebryo-plugin-management\index.js:31:33273)
at Socket.emit (events.js:315:20)
at addChunk (_stream_readable.js:295:12)
at readableAddChunk (_stream_readable.js:271:9)
at Socket.Readable.push (_stream_readable.js:212:10)
at Pipe.onStreamRead (internal/stream_base_commons.js:186:23)

I have looked this issue up, including a couple of threads on this site, and nothing seems to address exactly what is going on here.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Verified the Mod staging folder was correct in settings

2. Re-installed Vortex, made sure my vpn and virus software were both OFF.

2. Downloaded the masterlist from github for skyrimse and put it in the masterlist folder myself.

None of those helped, and when I click "Reset Masterlist" in the plugins page, it simply cannot create a new yaml file. I watch the folder and briefly see a .git folder appear, then disappear, then the "Failed to reset Masterlist" messages appear in Vortex.

I don't know why it cannot connect. I can go to github, I did so to download the masterlist.yaml from there. However I'm not very familiar with it so not sure what I might be missing.

I also tried to install and run LOOT, but I guess I don't get that program because I can't get it to do anything at all even though I point it to where my game is installed.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Sometimes an internet problem or a github problem can prevent Vortex from connecting to github.

Since you were able to Download and Install Vortex, and download mods (assuming with Vortex), then the problem could be a temporary problem with Github

DO NOT use Stand Alone LOOT with Vortex.

I don't know which VPN you use, but does it have a KILLSWITCH option when disabled/bypassed?
The one I use does, and it prevents me from connecting

Also, did you download the Mods with your browser or with Vortex?

Sometimes an internet problem or a github problem can prevent Vortex from connecting to github.

Since you were able to Download and Install Vortex, and download mods (assuming with Vortex), then the problem could be a temporary problem with Github

I don't know which VPN you use, but does it have a KILLSWITCH option when disabled/bypassed?

Would this be an issue that github would have very often? It's been going on for the whole day, and I'm pretty sure I saw this same error yesterday, but didn't pay it any mind because I thought it was just something that would get resolved by sorting or fixing dependencies.

I'm not aware of a killswitch, but my vpn is disconnected and the process is not even running. I did the same with my virus protection, to test this out. With both down, I still cannot connect.

I did download the mods using Vortex, and installed and enabled them.

Thanks for the warning about LOOT, I guess it's a good thing I couldn't get it to work anyway.

I should also mention, I've checked the permissions on my folders, and full control is allowed. Also, I've tried running Vortex as administrator, and that didn't help either.

Is there any other way to test the connection from Vortex to github? Or to test the particular connection that Vortex uses? I assume it's some sort of backend connection? I even went and created a github user and downloaded some code, created a test repository, etc., and had no issues.

Would this be an issue that github would have very often? It's been going on for the whole day, and I'm pretty sure I saw this same error yesterday, but didn't pay it any mind because I thought it was just something that would get resolved by sorting or fixing dependencies.

I'm not aware of a killswitch, but my vpn is disconnected and the process is not even running. I did the same with my virus protection, to test this out. With both down, I still cannot connect.

I did download the mods using Vortex, and installed and enabled them.

Thanks for the warning about LOOT, I guess it's a good thing I couldn't get it to work anyway.

I should also mention, I've checked the permissions on my folders, and full control is allowed. Also, I've tried running Vortex as administrator, and that didn't help either.

Is there any other way to test the connection from Vortex to github? Or to test the particular connection that Vortex uses? I assume it's some sort of backend connection? I even went and created a github user and downloaded some code, created a test repository, etc., and had no issues.

OK, so since Vortex can download mods from the Nexus, then it's OK, so the problem is between Github and Vortex, and yes, they do occasionally glitch when trying to communicate

When you installed Vortex, did you first turn off your AntiVirus, because there's a chance, that something important but small, may have been blocked by your AV, and it was just enough to make the communication not work between Github and Vortex.

If you installed Vortex with your AV running, you could always turn it off, reinstall Vortex and test if it will connect to github, because you downloaded from github with your Browser, so it's definitely a problem between Vortex and Github

At first I did install with my AV up, then later took it down and reinstalled Vortex over the top of itself, but still got the same issue. Am I going to have to completely uninstall and remove everything, and redo it all?

At first I did install with my AV up, then later took it down and reinstalled Vortex over the top of itself, but still got the same issue. Am I going to have to completely uninstall and remove everything, and redo it all?

No, don't do that, I don't know where people got the idea that uninstalling then reinstalling anything actually helped

There was one guy in here that uninstalled EVERYTHING, then reformatted his drive and reinstalled Windows, then Vortex, then his games etc.

That's like using a sledgehammer to kill a mosquito

I don't know which AV you use, but on some systems I believe that Windows Defender will start up automatically if your main AV is shut down, I know it tries on my system when I pause Kaspersky.

It's possible Windows Firewall is blocking access

Yes I should have mentioned, I added vortex.exe to the list of applications allowed through Windows firewall, and that hasn't helped either. There is definitely something that is not letting the connection go through, it's not my AV, or Windows firewall, or vpn. I've reinstalled Vortex (though not a clean reinstall, as you said that is probably unnecessary), checked permissions, rebooted my PC multiple times (the old "try turning it on and off again" trick). I'm pretty well stumped. Is there anything in the detail of the error that gives any clue, like the files or modules mentioned?

Thanks for the link, I actually read through that thread before I posted, and that's actually where I got the idea to download the masterlist.yaml from github and put it into the masterlist folder. However when I do that, then start up Vortex it gives me an error that it can't read the file, and I another error in addition to the server connection error:

Error: yaml-cpp: error at line 58, column 48: illegal map value
at l.handleResponse (C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar.unpacked\bundledPlugins\gamebryo-plugin-management\index.js:31:34813)
at C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar.unpacked\bundledPlugins\gamebryo-plugin-management\index.js:31:33289
at Socket.<anonymous> (C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar.unpacked\bundledPlugins\gamebryo-plugin-management\index.js:31:33273)

I don't know what file exactly is giving out a parsing error here, perhaps the masterlist.yaml? If so, this is line 58:

<meta name="description" content="The TES V: Skyrim Special Edition masterlist. Contribute to loot/skyrimse development by creating an account on GitHub.">

And column 48 seems to either be "V" or ":"

But even regardless of this, it still wants to connect to github but can't for some reason.

I also tried changing the mod staging and download folders to different locations, but still have the same issue.

Register I know you said blowing it all up and starting over is usually too much, but at this point I'm about ready to do that, because I have zero clue why this thing is not working.

Thanks for the link, I actually read through that thread before I posted, and that's actually where I got the idea to download the masterlist.yaml from github and put it into the masterlist folder. However when I do that, then start up Vortex it gives me an error that it can't read the file, and I another error in addition to the server connection error:

Error: yaml-cpp: error at line 58, column 48: illegal map value

I don't know what file exactly is giving out a parsing error here, perhaps the masterlist.yaml? If so, this is line 58:

<meta name="description" content="The TES V: Skyrim Special Edition masterlist. Contribute to loot/skyrimse development by creating an account on GitHub.">

And column 48 seems to either be "V" or ":"

But even regardless of this, it still wants to connect to github but can't for some reason.

I also tried changing the mod staging and download folders to different locations, but still have the same issue.

Register I know you said blowing it all up and starting over is usually too much, but at this point I'm about ready to do that, because I have zero clue why this thing is not working.

You may as well blow it up, because you keep manually replacing files, and moving folders etc.

Just make sure to PURGE and then uninstall any mods, and REISNATLL Vortex WITHOUT THE ANTIVIRUS running.