Assorted severe bugs on start-up

spontaneite

For a while, I've been having the occasional inexplicable issue when loading up Skyrim. Like the ground would be black or the snow would be a blank whiteness with no texture, and I'd mess about with all my mods for ages before realising that the only working solution was to exit and reload until it worked.

But it's been getting worse and worse. Now, 3/5 times I load the game I'm having issues which make me need to reload it.

Issues I've experienced (so far, or that I've noticed. Usually only one at a time, but combinations have happened)

1) ground textures not loading (goes black)

2) Mountain textures not loading (patches of mountain go black, ground is fine)

3) Snow textures not loading (affected areas go blank white)

4) night sky textures not loading (plain dark blue, lighter than with my usual textures, with random patches of bright stars showing)

5) White flashing - in loading screens and menus the screen is completely white except for text, when walking around screen flashes white

6) (only occurred once) There was a massive grey line through the sky. When I opened the map, the line showed, warping areas of the map around it. It ran south to north, getting thinner. Took two reloads to get rid of.

I have some screenshots of 4 and 5:

=4 (edit: massive contrast from my usual lovely display from Enhanced Nights. It's only skystars.dds not loading here - if I use one of the custom galaxies, it shows up fine)

= 5 (edit: as you can see, this is a pretty new save)

I haven't experienced 1, 2, or 3 in a while. 6 only happened the once.

All of these issues:

- Do not go away when reloading the save

- Do not go away when exiting to main menu and loading the save

- Do not go away when creating a new save

- Do not go away when disabling various mods

The only way I've found to fix them is to reload the game, over and over. Sometimes it's taken as many as four tries to get it all working.

I do run a lot of mods, but I'm careful with them. I avoid save game bloat obsessively, I never uninstall a mod unless I plan on starting a new save, I use BOSS, and I make sure that my mods don't conflict. And if they do, I either get compatibility patches or I make sure it's in small areas that don't matter.

I run HialgoBoost

I use ATTK Power Loader

I use SKSE

I have a very crappy PC - I typically run Skyrim on around 6fps, with highs of 12 and lows of 1. I consider my game to be extraordinarily fast when it's managing 8fps.

These issues are increasing in number and frequency. I sincerely hope someone can shed light on them because I'm well and truly flummoxed.

I have a very crappy PC - I typically run Skyrim on around 6fps, with highs of 12 and lows of 1. I consider my game to be extraordinarily fast when it's managing 8fps.

This is your problem, along with :

I do run a lot of mods

You are seeing your graphics driver failing to function properly due to overload. You may also be overheating.

I honestly don't know anyone who would be willing to play with 6 fps...I realize you are trying ot make the best of what you have, but you are simply asking too much of your computer.

The "solution" would be to start removing mods, tweaks, etc until you can "play" again. However, if your attempts to play have been chronically overheating your card, you may also be looking at a card that is damaged and dying.

Thought it might be something PC related...I use a fan to keep the PC cool and stop playing once it gets too hot, so I certainly hope my card isn't damaged.

When I uninstall all mods, I see an fps improvement of 2. My mods don't make a massive amount of difference on my performance - I make sure not to download any of the highly demanding ones, no matter how much I want to. My fresh-installed game would never go above 10fps, even in the beginning, so I suppose I'm just used to the slow gameplay.

Around Christmas, with luck, I'll have a high-spec gaming rig to play on. Until then...well, 6fps is painful, but I'm still more than willing to play it. In fact, I've played a good 330 hours at and around 6fps. :P

In fact, I've played a good 330 hours at and around 6fps.

Well, there should be a prize for that! That is some kind of dedication! :happy:

If unmodded skyrim gives you 10 fps, that is a good clue that your game really can't handle anything more. There is more to graphics/computer performance than fps...that is just a common and fairly useful indicator. The failure to render graphics is a very clear indicator. Temperature is also an indicator.

Anyway, Good luck and I hope you get your Christmas wish!