The sequence is ok. If I put animations to play, I can see that it switches through every animation in nifskope. (Nifskope is something I am much more experienced in.)

With the script the actor shows the first animation only. I suspect that either something is missing from the script, or I have set it wrong in CK.

(I know how to set script for activemagiceffect, but if setting it for actor, I'm not so sure anymore)

As I said - scripting and CK are exception for me. I usually mod models and textures. That doesn't mean I'm dangerous. lol

I never release anything before testing it thoroughly and confirmed by other testers it's working. You can see from my currently uploaded mod, that it works perfectly. (With the limitations I mentioned at the beginning of this topic, nothing dangerous or game breaking)

Is the script I posted in my previous post (in yellow) all that needs to be ? No conditions to be set or something like that ?

NifSkope IT IS NOT A RELIABLE WAY TO TEST / BE SURE THAT THE ANIMATION SEQUENCE IS CORRECT AND THAT IT WILL PLAY IN-GAME. THE GAME AND NifSkope ARE 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS.

The script has nothing to do with it.

Sorry my friend, but i'm out.... because i can't take someone by the hand right now to guide him step by step, i'm losing valuable time from my own project which it's massive.

Well, I know how to create animations. That's not too complicated. If you know how, it's actually easy.

The current nif's animations have been set up exactly like the ones in the "magic tablets" (built, not copied) + added one additional animation into the sequence. If the tablets work, then my nif works too. Nifskope CAN be used to check if the animation sequence is correct. All I have to do is to compare it (and understand how and what) with some other nif that's working. (As I did)

I am certain, that the problem is that I have set up the script wrongly in CK. It would be much easier If I knew how to extend this animation script for activemagiceffect, not actor.

If you don't have time for this, I understand. Good luck with your massive project.

Adding the script directly to the actor it's more reliable, lighter and faster for checking if your nif is working than creating an Ability Spell.

Alternative:

Go to any interior cell > now drag and drop inside the render window an actor > double click it and go to the "Script Tab" and add the script there > save and give your esp a unique name > enable your esp in your load order > go in game to a cell that's next to the one you place the actor and enter it (use the load door) > now you will see if the actor is playing the animations, you need to fight it and kill it.

Ok, I managed to create the test environment. (Used Breezehome). Now I can load saved game that's made outside the Breezehome (made the save before activating the test mod), then I go inside and the centurion is there. So this all works. Into the script I added debug messages for every event and the messages show on top left on the screen.

But the centurion is still showing only the first animation from the sequence. I checked over ten times at least - everything is correct, it should work.

Then I discovered that no matter what I write into the script in the lines Self.PlayAnimation, debug messages still play. (Obviously because the messages are tied to the events, not animations)

So I tried different lines. For example:

Self.PlayGamebryoAnimation("playanim05") <-used animation order number

Self.PlayGamebryoAnimation("AnimPulse") <-used animation name

Self.PlayAnimation("AnimPulse") <-used animation name

Self.PlayAnimation("playanim05") <-used animation order number

Self.PlayAnimation("xxx") <-used random letters to check if it's about the correct line or not

Non of these worked, just the debug messages showed. It seems to me that the script can not trigger the animations.

At least the test environment works, script is attached to the actor correctly and detects events correctly.

Do I have to add something like this in the script:

bool Function PlayAnimation(string asAnimation) native

or

bool Function PlayGamebryoAnimation(string asAnimation, bool abStartOver = false, float afEaseInTime = 0.0) native

or

RegisterForAnimationEvent

or

SendAnimationEvent

or some other things ?

The scripts for the "magis tablets" seem more complicated: http://www.filedropper.com/tablets

And in the CK in Preview Object window the nif animations are not showing up (should show up as "Gamebryo Animations"). I even tried with some animated nif tutorial - ceated an animated nif step-by-step, still not showing in CK. Are there any extra steps to be made in CK ?

Update:

Animations show up in CK when I convert the mesh to BSFadeNode. Then the animations show up when I open the file by right-click, "open with CK" (copying it into the data, meshes before)

But, if I load up the CK, and then open the preview, the CK crashes. Also it crashes the game when I use BSFadeNode instead of NiNode.

So the problem is, that in order to play the animations, the mesh should be BSFadeNode. But then it crashes. When I convert it to NiNode, it does not crash, loads in game, but not animating.

crap...

It's the NiControllerManager. If that's inside the BSFadeNode (even just empty NiControllerManager), it causes CTD (That's why the nif must be NiNode)

Any way to make it work ?

UPDATE: It seems to crash only if I use the nif with BSFadeNode to replace the steamcenturion. If I use the same mesh to replace one of the magic tablets, there is no crash.

So, it seems that nif animations can only work in game if the main node in the nif is BSFadeNode, but by default the automatons use NiNode.

If I convert this NiNode to BsFadeNode, game and CK crash.

Is there any way to force nif animations work in game when the main node is NiNode ?

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to give an update - I finished the mod (actually some time ago).

Solved all problems and now everything is working perfectly.

(Using animated mesh and modified behavior)

Thanks for everyone who helped me.

The updated mod is uploaded to Nexus.