2 frame freeze

Even in Vanilla my game will randomly freeze rapidly switching back and forth between 2 frames. I can alt+tab, re-enter the game, it will be on the pause menu now, I'll click continue and a second later it will happen again. Audio will still play fine, though no commands like jump seem to go through. I've re-installed, I've modified recommended game files, I've manually installed fix mods, wiped, gone through vortex, run on compatibility mode for Windows 7, checked disc drive. I've been at this all week, feel like I've tried everything, but I hate giving up.

set-up: Windows 10, cpu: ryzen 5 2600, gpu: radeon 590

First, when you say "vanilla", did you just disable mods, or start a "new game" without any mods? If you haven't yet, try the latter.

And did you then include "the essentials" from 'Towards Game Stability', and the 'Essentials for Getting Started' sections of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article with the "vanilla" game?

Are you using any "post processors" such as ENB or SweetFX/Reshade?

How much VRAM is on that Radeon 590?

Then check over the 'Solutions to Performance problems' section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article. Pay particular attention to the "video" related entries. Note that conflicting settings between the video adapter configuration and the game INI files can cause similar symptoms.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, please provide ALL the information requested in the wiki "How to ask for help" article. Don't forget to identify things that do not appear in the "load order", such as the version of Windows, if you are using a "Steam" or "GOG" and/or "regional language version" of the game (even if you are playing it in English); using the "FNV 4GB Patcher", "xNVSE" and it's related plugins, "New Vegas Tick Fix (NVTF)" and "New Vegas Heap Replacer (NVHR)"; replacements for textures (specifically their larger image sizes: 1024x1024, etc.), animations, or "bodies", etc.; and "post-processors" like ENB or SweetFX. It saves us playing "20 questions" and gets you a more specific answer more quickly. (The usual turn-around on post and reply in an older game forum is 24 hours.) Screenshots of the "load order" don't usually work so well because they tend to cut off or fail to display needed information and are hard to "piece together" into a complete and coherent picture.

We REALLY need to see a sorted "load order" (such as produced by "LOOT"); to include the main game and DLC files. (Screenshots don't work so well for the purpose.) With modded games its the sequence, not merely the list of mods, which is the cause of many problems. LOOT's sort gives a good first approximation, correcting the most obvious issues and is sufficient for most players. You can make minor adjustments to the order and tell LOOT how to remember them. It's in the on-line documentation under "Metadata". Instructions on how to copy it's list for posting are in the "How to ask for help" article, and "Checklist Item #11' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

I recommend anyone read the entire "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article to understand the differences between this game and others you may have experience with; especially if this is your first attempt to play a modded FNV or it's been more than a year since you last set it up. It is designed for someone who has never played a modded PC game before, so it tries to avoid making any assumptions, is kept "up-to-date", and covers years of "lessons learned" by a retired Technical Support expert. It is NOT a list of various mods to install that happen to work on the author's machine; only "the essentials". It addresses fundamentals underlying how to get the basic game and mods to work together. At least 90% of everything I post in the "Technical Support" sub-forum is already in that article. Once you can play a test game to at least Primm, only then should you try adding other mods from some other "guide".

-Dubious-

thanks for a reply, actually seem to have fixed it by deleting all mods (both manual installs and vortex) and deleting all game files, then having steam validate and thus replace all files. I'm not running any mods besides recommended patches and bug fixes with tons of users. So far cleared from goodsprings to the mojave outpost, took a break, came back, went into an interior cell where a mr. handy immediately sprayed me with fire and my game crashed. Thankfully it's a normal crash and not an endless loop freeze. My gut is telling me though that the first time I installed 4GB, I placed it into the game folder but didn't run the application, not 100% sure on that. Mods in, super stable 60 fps, let's hope I didn't just get lucky.

Yes, you have to run the 4GB Patcher to get the benefit. Also, make sure you do NOT install the game to the default location Steam picks. (See "Installing Games on Windows Vista+".)

You can get a "crash free" game, but it takes a fair amount of patient setup to do so. Which is what the "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article is about.

-Dubious-