NPCs are blacked out in CK

What you are saying now is something completely different.

That a 32 bits program cannot run a 64bits executable really has absolutely nothing to do with the installation path .... You need a 64bits program, not just a different install dir.

Reinstalling steam under c:\games makes 0 (zero) sense or difference.

That a 32 bits program cannot run a 64bits executable really has absolutely nothing to do with the installation path .... You need a 64bits program, not just a different install dir.

Sorry, Not going to play the word games. It's a known fact the install location (x86) is a troublesome location as Windows protects all files in that location and will deny access to files being edited there.

Good luck with your games.

EDIT: here, read and learn.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/microsoft-does-not-support-changing-the-location-of-the-program-files-folder-by-modifying-the-programfilesdir-registry-value-5bf366f0-8e8f-ba93-9fc7-049064ef56f0

If you change the location of the Program Files folder, you may experience unexpected issues that may affect the stability of Windows. The list of binary files that are protected by Windows File Protection, together with the locations of these files, is coded in Internet Explorer. You cannot modify these locations in Internet Explorer.

And this} https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/-windows-cannot-access-the-specified-device-path-or-file-error-when-you-try-to-install-update-or-start-a-program-or-file-46361133-47ed-6967-c13e-e75d3cc29657

So you Either take the advice or Ignore it. Don't Challenge it.

I am here to help people , Not get into frivolous arguments.

Edited by Purr4me

Sorry, Not going to play the word games. It's a known fact the install location (x86) is a troublesome location as Windows protects all files in that location and will deny access to files being edited there.

Good luck with your games.

EDIT: here, read and learn.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/microsoft-does-not-support-changing-the-location-of-the-program-files-folder-by-modifying-the-programfilesdir-registry-value-5bf366f0-8e8f-ba93-9fc7-049064ef56f0

If you change the location of the Program Files folder, you may experience unexpected issues that may affect the stability of Windows. The list of binary files that are protected by Windows File Protection, together with the locations of these files, is coded in Internet Explorer. You cannot modify these locations in Internet Explorer.

And this} https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/-windows-cannot-access-the-specified-device-path-or-file-error-when-you-try-to-install-update-or-start-a-program-or-file-46361133-47ed-6967-c13e-e75d3cc29657

So you Either take the advice or Ignore it. Don't Challenge it.

I am here to help people , Not get into frivolous arguments.

I agree with your conclusions... However, I am the admin of this machine and I choose when and where files get stored. Windows does not have any qualms relocating my files when I tell it to, it just asks me if I'm sure that I want to overwrite/place files in a protected directory.

Surely, bethesda knows about this issue and would advise me to install into a different directory if it was an issue to running the CK. I do not use IE, I'm a chrome user. My OS is stable, it's the CK that is giving me trouble.

I'm not changing values in RegEdit. I don't see how pointing out possible missteps that I have not done is gonna help me.

The only thing that I have done that you have surmised is installing FO4 into the directory that Steam, Bethesda, and Microsoft have all said is the right one.

Edited by jackjack86

"Surely, bethesda knows about this issue and would advise me to install into a different directory if it was an issue to running the CK. I do not use IE, I'm a chrome user. My OS is stable, it's the CK that is giving me trouble."

They Do and do not care.

None of the Publishers care ,HOWEVER ! , you know during installs from any applications used to date, you are given a choice as to where the install path is to be. So yes, they know about it otherwise it would be a forced install

with No choices.

I own a ton of games and PC's and Laptops.

Just too much stuff.

as for their Online access to certain Libraries ? you must use them in order to get the extracted needed resources they offer for THAT kit and it only happens when you log on.

here's what you do.

1. Find all temp trash folders on your system and delete the internet and old data found
  2. Here is My path: C:\Users\Kitty Black\AppData\Local\Temp
  3. remove all data from that location as much is allowed.
  4. Run the kit.
  5. Logon to Bethesda / log in
  6. Load a data file you intend to edit.
  7. Now you will get a pop up or several asking you to extract the data.
  8. then a scripting zip file will unpack massive amount of resources needed.
  9. before doing any modding? minimize the KIt
  10. Inspect that temp folder and see the new libraries.

Case Closed.

In windows ? Admin means nothing. The desktop is the IE, every thing accessed is not under admin controls. As you may think it is.

The security in windows 10 is very Robust.

On every reboot most things you changed will automatically revert.

Updates also revert permissions. Some may stay some may not. It's a dice roll.

Windows is a sticky Nasty conversational Piece and not really the kind of thing to discuss over a mod or game.

Only if there are problems posted can we fix or determine the problems.

Best policies is to use an external drives and these conversations never develop.

That the point.

"Surely, bethesda knows about this issue and would advise me to install into a different directory if it was an issue to running the CK. I do not use IE, I'm a chrome user. My OS is stable, it's the CK that is giving me trouble."

They Do and do not care.

None of the Publishers care ,HOWEVER ! , you know during installs from any applications used to date, you are given a choice as to where the install path is to be. So yes, they know about it otherwise it would be a forced install

with No choices.

I own a ton of games and PC's and Laptops.

Just too much stuff.

as for their Online access to certain Libraries ? you must use them in order to get the extracted needed resources they offer for THAT kit and it only happens when you log on.

here's what you do.

1. Find all temp trash folders on your system and delete the internet and old data found
  2. Here is My path: C:\Users\Kitty Black\AppData\Local\Temp
  3. remove all data from that location as much is allowed.
  4. Run the kit.
  5. Logon to Bethesda / log in
  6. Load a data file you intend to edit.
  7. Now you will get a pop up or several asking you to extract the data.
  8. then a scripting zip file will unpack massive amount of resources needed.
  9. before doing any modding? minimize the KIt
  10. Inspect that temp folder and see the new libraries.

Case Closed.

I cleaned out the temp folder, launched the kit, logged in, loaded a plugin; all as you suggested. There was no zip DL'd. Not one thing to be extracted.

Still can't render textures using default rendering. You may know a lot but you don't know what's going on with this machine.

I'm gonna DL the latest version of Creation Kit Fixes. after that who knows if that'll fix whatever is happening.

Edited by jackjack86

No problem , you may have already extracted the data in question on first launch.

The thing I am talking about is hidden from the users.

The Libraries you may or may not find can not be stored.

They are temporary in nature.

As for that machine? I can access it and view what's going on thru Team view on my discord channel.

Total privacy.

I can watch and look at the settings , together we can figure it out.

--------------------------

The simple fact mention here shows I am trustworthy. It's your choice.

How ever, before going that far, you see what you can do.

You mentioned a texture file?

IS the file in question Loose ?

IF your building mod ? you may be required to pack them...the file into a BA2 pack in order to allow the kit to render them in a window in the kit.

It's an odd thing that followed the kit's over the years.

Some times you can see them

sometimes you can't. Circumstance's prevailing is the key to understanding what's going on, and

Yes, you're quite correct, there is no way here for me to know what's taking place on that machine.

I keep what I'm working on loose. Most mods that I reference are loose as I find that different plugins cannot access other plugin's archives even when they are in the master list. The only one that aren't loose are ones that don't have archives or other resource files.

The Ck will not render any Textures (loose or archived) unless I set the shader value (theres a "Debug mode" dropdown selection in "Shaders" tab of preferences to "GBuffer 0" that I have to set everytime I run the CK). Screenshots in Spoiler.

51174135420_d02e4278cb_k.jpg

51173271603_21f1983dc4_k.jpg

I am not comfortable giving access to my machine to unknown, although helpful, parties. I appreciate the offer tho.

EDIT:There's one mesh(es) that isn't rendering and that is the headrear. It doesn't like this texture set I'm working with. It'll render if I don't change the nif's (using Outfit Studio) material beforehand but it won't take the body texture for some reason.

Edited by jackjack86