Custom music in Oblivion

SolaireFlair

I've been trying to add my own custom music to Oblivion, & I searched a how-to on the web, & it said I could simply drop the songs I wanted in the proper folders. I have tried certain songs I want to play, but it doesn't work. I know they're in mp3 format just like the normal Oblivion songs, I'm just wondering if there's some special way I need to format them. In the past, I've gotten certain songs to work, but not all of them. The only songs I could get to work are from an anime called Bleach. I've tried some from other video games, such as the Halo soundtrack, but those don't seem to work. Please help, I've been banging my head on a wall trying to figure this out. :wallbash:

I doubt that anyone is holding back info just to annoy you, and bumping your own posts is likely to draw the mods' attention.

Have you tried comparing the Oblivion music files with the files you want to use, in a program such as Audacity (free to download if you don't have it)? OB music is stereo; are the substitutes also stereo? Don't know if it matters but it might. You could also compare sample rates between the two options. Otherwise it's anybody's guess what is wrong, but if no-one has responded it's because someone who does know hasn't seen your post yet. ;)

Thanks for the tip. I'll download that now & try it. As far as myself & my ultra-computer-savvy friend know, there should be nothing wrong. He tried the same thing on his Oblivion & it worked fine. And yes, I shouldn't get so worked up over no responses. I was working on the problem at the time of posting them, & I was a little annoyed with the whole problem, needless to say. But yeah, thanks. I'll try it out.

If you wish to extract custom music that you already have on your computer, find the music you'd like in Oblivion and right click on it and on the menu that appears, scroll to "copy" and click it. Then go to the drive you have Oblivion installed in (Drive C, D, etc.) and go to "Program Files" - "Bethesda Softworks" - "Oblivion" - "Data" - "Music" (or create a file named music as a subfolder in "Data", creating subfiles "Public", Dungeon", "Battle", and "Explore" within the "Music" folder.)

If you already have the "Music" file (be sure the subfolders in Music are there as well), go to the folder of your choice ("Public", "Dungeon", "Battle", "Explore", but not "Special"), and right click in the empty area of the folder of your choice and scroll down to "Paste".

Note that the folder you paste the music in will effect the time when the music will be played. And as a final note, the music must be an MP3 format file (meaning it has mp3 or MPEG behind the bullet point in the name, or is evident when you check the files properties.

I've seen a couple other posts like this, but never a real answer as to why it doesn't work. Personally I only use custom music in Oblivion, I've heard those songs so much I couldn't stand it anymore. The thing is, I didn't have to change anything. The songs have their original titles, I even have some songs in the "explore" and "public" folders. They play randomly, but I never had any other problem. If you don't have a mod that already alters the way music plays, there is no reason it shouldn't work.