Vortex taking ages to start install of mods suddenly

Diabolus83
Go to solution Solved by Diabolus83,

Hi everyone,

I'm currently modding Skyrim SE, I have been modding it for a few months (this time), last night I was uninstalling and installing a bunch of mods as LOOT was being a pain and then suddenly I noticed the mods taking ages to start the install.

So when I enable the mod, Vortex takes about 1 minute before it starts the install of the mod, the mod install, deploy etc all go fast as normal.

I thought if I restarted the PC it would put it back to normal but it's still painfully slow. Sometimes I can jump start it if I install another mod while I'm waiting for the first mod to start installing, and it will all kick into gear.

Any ideas ?

Thanks for reading.

Hi Pickysaurus,

Thanks for your reply.

My Anti-Virus already has an exception for Vortex. I have tried adding an exception for Windows but it won't let me as it is already an exception in my Anti-Virus software. I will do some research on security software on my pc and see if I can figure anything else out.

Cheers

Guest deleted34304850

is it all mods or just some?

if the mod contains a lot of assets, vortex obviously has to do more processing to unpack archives and the likes.

what happens if you install a mod that is really small? do you get the same delay in processing?

also your target drive - is it a HDD?

Hi 1ae0bfb8,

Cheers for your reply,

No, I have done some testing and with small mods there is no delay.

By target drive do you mean the drive the mods are installing on ? If so no its SSD as I read these are best for games.

Cheers

Guest deleted34304850

i wonder if its simply because the mod being installed contains a lot of assets and vortex has to unpack them and this activity causes a lot more cpu consumption, I/O and so on, all of which combine to give the impression of poor performance?

if you open up task manager and have vortex deploy a mod that contains a large number of assets, you can monitor cpu/i/o etc, which may give you some insight into the work thats going on under the covers. there's also procexp and procmon available from microsoft that give you insights into what files are being accessed on your system which you can use to show file by file access activity for any program.

today, i pulled down and installed a mod that contains 11gb of graphics files, when i deployed that it took vortex some time to get a message out to me that it was installing the mod - perhaps there's an idea for a process improvement here, whereby vortex tells you instantly that it's about to install a mod, rather than telling you some seconds/minutes after its started to perform the deployment?

if i get time this weekend i may open a feedback item to the devs to see if they can consider the idea as something viable. or - if you're confident enough, you can send in the feedback via the three vertical dots in vortex and see how you go?

• Solution

Yes I think you were right, in fact it seems it may have just been that particular set of mods, as I have installed some large mods since then and they went just fine.

When I checked the CPU usage for those mods which were graphic heavy it went up to 100%.

I really appreciate the time you have taken to respond and have submitted the feedback to the Vortex team as per your suggestion.

Cheers 1ae0bfb8

P.S Also I was bitterly disappointed when I goggled your name to see what came up, I didn't get to see something amazing like a rick roll :laugh: