Games saved in OneDrive\Documents\My Games. I want to change save game location.

nathaniela
Go to solution Solved by nathaniela,

I'm running Windows 11 and I'm using Vortex to manage Skyrim SE mods. I do not recommend Windows 11 to anyone because Microsoft has made OneDrive infect everything. It seems that every time I install a new program on my computer, I have to manually purge a OneDrive infection from it. Now I'm working on Vortex.

Today I discovered that Skyrim SE is saving games in C:\Users\[user name]\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\Saves. I would like to change that location. Is Vortex managing the save location of these files? How can I change that location?

After this, I'm going to make the OneDrive folder read-only, and hopefully I'll start getting errors to alert me if something touches OneDrive.

• Solution

I think I fixed it through a bunch of registry hacks. I opened regedit, then did a search for every instance of C:\Users\[user name]\OneDrive\Documents and %USERPROFILE%\OneDrive\Documents and changed them to get rid of OneDrive. Still don't have complete control over where the game files are saved, but I have what I wanted.

I think your save games - and Downloads - should be safe in Onedrive.

Game folders and mod staging directories are at risk, and I think not supported by Vortex. Hard links, you know.

I do agree Onedrive is a pestilence. I only use it for backups.