Plugins Not Sorted Because of Cyclic Rules - But no related rules to cause cycling.

blackstarling
Go to solution Solved by Tannin42,

A mod called All Settlements Extended expands settlement building borders. I recently installed it but in testing it, I noticed that one section of the map isn't expanded as reported in the mod description.

Reading through the posts on the mod page I noticed that another player mentioned that it needed to be loaded after another mod called Hangman's Alley Interior Apartments. (Just now realized this requirement is also mentioned on the description all the way at the bottom in version changes.)

ASE is loading 8th in my load order while HAIA is loading 42nd. Dragging and telling ASE to load after HAIA, I "sort now" and then get a message that says "plugins not sorted because of cyclic rules." When I click more it says "LOOT reported a cyclic interaction between rules. AllSetsExtended.esl@default-->HAIA.esp@default-->AllSetsExtended.esl@default"

I've never made any other rules with either plugin and don't see anything like it listed in dependencies. I get an option to remove custom rules and if I don't take it the warning message remains.

Can anyone help?

Vortex Version: 1.1.15
Modding: Fallout 4

Installed Mods: 150
Environment: Windows 10 x64, 16GB RAM
Experience With Doing Anything More Than Downloading And Enabling Mods: Nada

• Solution

AllSetsExtended.esl is a master, HAIA.esp is not.

Masters can not be loaded after regular plugins (the game doesn't allow it, independent on which tool you use for your load ordering).

The user telling you to load them in that order was either talking about different mods, different versions of the mods or they were misinformed.

Edit: To clarify: files with the extension .esl are automatically masters.

What you said sounded vaguely familiar so I went and checked the files section of ASE which offers an .esp version. I'm going to uninstall and load a save from before I installed ASE, save, then download and activate the .esp. And make the proper rules.

Thanks! I didn't know about that rule. I'm guessing I chose the .esl because I read that they don't count toward your mod count or something.

What you said sounded vaguely familiar so I went and checked the files section of ASE which offers an .esp version. I'm going to uninstall and load a save from before I installed ASE, save, then download and activate the .esp. And make the proper rules.

Thanks! I didn't know about that rule. I'm guessing I chose the .esl because I read that they don't count toward your mod count or something.

ESLs are good in that they don't take up a mod slot, however, they're bad because you can't sort them.

ESPfes on the other hand (something you can use Vortex to convert Esps to ESPfe) can be sorted AND they don't take up a mod slot.