Internet cuts out when downloading large mods

QuenIgni47
Go to solution Solved by Dark0ne,

Hey there. So, whenever I start downloading a mod that's large enough to take a few minutes to complete (usually around 2GB or more), my internet almost completely goes out. The weird thing is that the mod itself will download just fine, but I can't use my internet for anything else. I can't load other websites or stream any music, etc. All my other devices like my phone, PlayStation, and work laptop can't use the internet either. My router even flashes like it itself lost connection. It's like whenever a mod downloads, it hogs the entire network for itself, and won't let anything else use the internet. As soon as the mod finishes downloading, or I cancel the download, my internet connection is completely restored. Normally, this wouldn't be too big a problem, but there are other people in my house who need to use the internet. This issue also happens when I download a mod manually as well, not JUST through Vortex. I also don't have this problem whenever I download things from other websites or services (like Steam games). So my issue just seems to be with Nexus Mods.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know how to fix it?

Hi, because you're premium you can download files at your ISP provided cap (most sites don't allow this by default). What is your home internet speed? If you are on a 5Mb/s plan or something you'll totally saturate what your provider offers you and nobody else will be able to use the internet at a reasonable speed.

You can always use your web browser to throttle your data throughput (assuming it supports that) to test. Set your speed to something slow like 500kb/s and see if everything is fast again during a download.

*edit: normally a router flashes showing network activity, not necessarily lost connection and throttling your browser for a manual download is only a test to see if your saturating your bandwidth*

• Solution

It's nice to get an error that your download speed is too fast to our servers for once, it's often the other way around :laugh:

It sounds like this is actually an issue with your router not being able to properly distribute traffic on the network properly. Most modern routers (as long as they are not super, SUPER cheap) will ensure a single download does not saturate all the bandwidth and ensure there's enough bandwidth for other users on the network through Quality of Service functionality.

If you are not the person with access to the router, ask the person who is to go into the router settings and ensure "QoS" or "Quality of Service" functionality is turned on.

It's nice to get an error that your download speed is too fast to our servers for once, it's often the other way around :laugh:

It sounds like this is actually an issue with your router not being able to properly distribute traffic on the network properly. Most modern routers (as long as they are not super, SUPER cheap) will ensure a single download does not saturate all the bandwidth and ensure there's enough bandwidth for other users on the network through Quality of Service functionality.

If you are not the person with access to the router, ask the person who is to go into the router settings and ensure "QoS" or "Quality of Service" functionality is turned on.

I know this reply is a few days late, but thank you both for your help!