How to Switch Vortex Instance

ZultonB
Go to solution Solved by rmm200,

Problem:

The only game I play through Vortex is Skyrim (the original... no SE, no LE.)

Everything was running great until I updated Vortex... Now I cannot play at all.

As I was trying to reset everything up.. Vortex states that I have another Instance.

How do I switch back to that instance?

(checked the Task Manager, Vortex is not running twice)

Thanks!!!!

Guest deleted34304850

have you played with your profiles, perhaps switching from single user and back again?

what happens if you follow the instructions that come up in your image above, and let vortex attempt to clean up?

have you played with your profiles, perhaps switching from single user and back again?

what happens if you follow the instructions that come up in your image above, and let vortex attempt to clean up?

I will look for instructions. The only thing I have seen up there is the notifications.. Maybe that is what your referring to? There are no current notifications. If I start the process then notifications come up. when I followed them vortex gave me that message I have copied and pasted up above. Since no one else uses my computer I turned off profiles a while back. Man I wish I had not updated Vortex.

OK>> I have an idea... The game works ok when I start the game using Steam. Not great though.. but at least I can play.

QUESTION: If I delete and reinstall all of the mods through vortex... does that change any of the files in Steam? I assume it does... but maybe, hopefully, I am wrong.

QUESTION 2: Have the mods changed any of the original game files, OR does it just overwrite them when starting? (So if I just deleted all the mods it would not mess up the original game files, or would I need to reinstall?)

ONE last Question: If I buy and install Skyrim SE, does it work independently of the original? Can both be on the same computer? / IE Vortex, can it manage BOTH at the same time?)

If anyone can answer even one of these please do..

Thanks!!!

Situation: I played Skyrim though Steam. I had about 10 mods from Steam Workshop. Then I found out about a mod that Workshop did not have, and was introduced to Vortex. I have used Vortex ever since. The only game I play through Vortex is Skyrim (the original... no SE, no LE.)

Everything was running great until I updated Vortex... Now I cannot play at all.

As I was trying to reset everything up.. Vortex states that I have Skyrim set up in another Instance. (See Pic)

QUESTION: How do I switch over to that instance?

I am running in Shared mode.

Okay, I am also looking for alternatives incase no one knows that first question... So do you know any of theses?

QUESTION 2: If I delete and reinstall all of the mods through vortex... does that change any of the files in Steam? I assume it does... but maybe, hopefully, I am wrong. (the game works okay in steam.. not great.. but at least I can play.)

QUESTION 3: Have installing the mods changed any of the original game files, OR do they just overwrite them when starting?

QUESTION 4: If I buy and install Skyrim SE, does it work independently of the original? Can both be on the same computer? / IE Vortex, can it manage BOTH at the same time?)

Thanks a ton! Any help is very much appreciated.

Zulton

• Solution

Let me have a crack at a couple.

1) You have one version of Vortex you are using. Purge mods from that version - and clean up your game directory. Remove everything not installed by Bethesda. Then start Vortex and Deploy.

2) Neither Purge nor Deploy change anything in Steam.

3) Vortex does not change any game files. Mods may be loaded in place of game files - but they do not change those game files either.

4) Profiles are not to accommodate additional users on your computer. I have maybe 20 profiles on my single user computer. Every time I want to try a script-intensive mod (likely to break my game), it gets it's own profile.

5) Skyrim LE and Skyrim SE happily co-exist. I run both. ~150 mods on each. Just be careful - do not use mods for one on the other.

If you say you're using shared mode, that message is probably referring to any mods you had installed before switching to shared.

If you want to keep your workshop mods you can use the "Import from Steam Workshop" extension (shameless plug of my own work) to pull them into Vortex. Find it in the extensions tab under "Find more".

Edited by Pickysaurus
Merged both your threads as they appear to be discussing the same thing.

Situation: I played Skyrim though Steam. I had about 10 mods from Steam Workshop. Then I found out about a mod that Workshop did not have, and was introduced to Vortex. I have used Vortex ever since. The only game I play through Vortex is Skyrim (the original... no SE, no LE.)

As I was trying to reset everything up.. Vortex states that I have Skyrim set up in another Instance. (See Pic)

post-99085128-0-69059200-1602700397_thum

QUESTION: How do I switch over to that instance?

I am running in Shared mode.

Okay, I am also looking for alternatives incase no one knows that first question... So do you know any of theses?

QUESTION 2: If I delete and reinstall all of the mods through vortex... does that change any of the files in Steam? I assume it does... but maybe, hopefully, I am wrong. (the game works okay in steam.. not great.. but at least I can play.)

QUESTION 3: Have installing the mods changed any of the original game files, OR do they just overwrite them when starting?

QUESTION 4: If I buy and install Skyrim SE, does it work independently of the original? Can both be on the same computer? / IE Vortex, can it manage BOTH at the same time?)

Thanks a ton! Any help is very much appreciated.

Zulton