Sharing Access Issues: Vortex Does Not Open on Other Account, and Skyrim SE Save Files Not Detected on My Account

LoonyLiberal
Go to solution Solved by LoonyLiberal,

A few hours ago, I posted about attempting to share my Skyrim SE mod data and profile with another user on my WIndows 10 Home 64-bit machine.

I've managed to get Vortex to rediscover and reinstall my previously-downloaded mods and tools. However, I've encountered two problems:

- When the other user logs into the computer and attempts to launch Vortex, she gets an error message indicating that Vortex is already running. We determined that Vortex does not appear in her Task Manager. It appears in mine when I log in, but I can also use Task Manager to kill the task. Also, we tried restarting the computer and logging in as her, but that did not resolve the issue.

- On my profile, I can launch Skyrim SE using the Skyrim Script Extender. However, the game does not recognize the save files. I have confirmed that the save files are still present by using both Vortex's "Open Save Games" and from supplementary web-searching for similar errors. I'm not able to get the game to recognize the existing save files.

Please let me know if you require additional information regarding these issues.

Edited by LoonyLiberal

Vortex is set to Shared. I made the change on both my account and hers after you answered my previous question.

That means that everything vortex related should be going in a folder called C:\ProgramData rather than C:\users\YOUR NAME\appdata\roaming\Vortex

At least that's where it is on my system

You're not running Vortex as an admin are you?

If so, don't it should only run as admin when installing

With regards to running Vortex as administrator: neither account runs Vortex as an admin.

With regards to the save files: I attempted to manually copy the save files to the new directory for shared data. The game still does not identify the save file.

I attached a screenshot: when I click the "Open Save Games" button, Vortex loads up the "old" location of the save files. I'm curious if this has anything to do with the save files not being recognized when I copy them into the ProgramData/vortex Skyrim folder.

With regards to running Vortex as administrator: neither account runs Vortex as an admin.

With regards to the save files: I attempted to manually copy the save files to the new directory for shared data. The game still does not identify the save file.

I attached a screenshot: when I click the "Open Save Games" button, Vortex loads up the "old" location of the save files. I'm curious if this has anything to do with the save files not being recognized when I copy them into the ProgramData/vortex Skyrim folder.

The saves are going to be different, because those go from user to user, because they are in C:\users\YOUR NAME\documents\my games\skyrim se

• Solution

Regarding the save files: I decided to start a new game, manually save immediately after naming the prisoner, looking at where the game placed the save files, and manually copying the "old" save files to that location.

I also had to perform a manual full reinstall of SKSE 64 because many of the mods did not recognize SKSE running.

After performing these two steps, both new games and previously saved games are working as expected.

Thanks for your help.