Photo

Skyrim ENB Mods 1 - Sharpshooter (original)

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

Gopher

Gopher

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 6,595 posts
A2DS-0ebnwE
ENB mods have been around since the start of Skyrim and yet several people have not tried them because they either don't know what they do, or are nervous about installing them. So I have started a new video series aimed at exploring the world of Skyrim ENB mods. In this, the first video of the series, I look at a popular classic, 'Sharpshooters Extreme Graphics ENB', and discuss what you get, and the price you pay to get it.

For an overview of the aims of this series see this video.
Watch the installation video for this mod here.

Download link for mod:
Sharpshooters Extreme Graphics ENB

grobbendonk

grobbendonk

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts
In response to post #8211646.

A good ENB that you should try is Cinemascope, it has practically no fps hit and works really great IMO http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15425/?

Edited by grobbendonk, 07 June 2013 - 09:23 PM.

SMORG76

SMORG76

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Gopher. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain Ambient Occlusion, ENB, the lot. I'm an avid viewer, first time commenter. I've stayed away from enb in the past as i've believed Imaginator could do what i want without the performance hit. I LOVE that you have cleared this up for me (The wood block comparison was fantastic). I was going to install sharpshooters, but my card is a 2Gb 6950 (stuck on an i5) which I hoped would handle, but with the texture mods I've got I get 'moderate to good' performance as it is. Sadly I don't think I could live with the performance loss because of my texture mods (I really don't want to start from scratch again). Thank you again for helping me out.

Gopher

Gopher

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 6,595 posts
In response to post #8211927.

Well I will be trying a lot of different ENB mods in this series, and I will also try tweaking settings to see what happens. eg. I may find medium setting with a good ENB mod looks nicer than Ultra without one, and gives just as good performance. Or perhaps an ENB with no DoF, and use Dynavision etc.

I have no idea what we are going to find to be honest, which is why I am looking forward to making this series :)

Daemonui

Daemonui

Friendly Neighbourhood Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
A few things I dislike about Sharpshooter's ENB is that during the daytime the sky has too much desaturation, the clouds are too bright, it's a little over-contrasted, the ambient lighting is too dark and the distance lighting is too dark.

But I'm extremely picky about my lighting. Heck, I have various dislikes about Climates of Tamriel as well, despite the fact that it's a fantastic mod.

SMORG76

SMORG76

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
In response to post #8211927. #8211967 is also a reply to the same post.

And I too look forward to seeing what we discover along the way in this series. Should I see an enb that works like the woodblock and logs comparison with minimal hit, I'll be on it. Thank you for all your videos. Best wishes from rural Wales, UK :)

JawZENB

JawZENB

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts
A recommendation is to download K ENB and use the enbsunsprite.fx along with the enbsunsprite.tga from that ENB mod and remove the Skyrim corona by setting the SunCorona setting to 0, as the Skyrim 4K HD you have now looks awful in comparison to that. I promise you that the K ENB sunsprite will make your corona way better visually without any performance impact ;) Also from a performance perspective these things do wonders for just enhancing the vanilla look, depending on ENB version of course Skylighting - gives the shadows more of a depth feel. Image Based Lighting - Adds reflections and ambient lighting based on the color of the Sky. Sun Rays - Very subtle settings for this adds a very nice atmosphere to the scenes. Detailed Shadow - Fixes shadow issues such as Shadow stripes and shadow casting. Adaptation - Works in a better way then the Skyrim adaptation does if set up properly, both Skyrim and ENB adaptation can be customized with the proper code added in the enbeffect.fx file. Anyway there is a small input from me concerning effects that I deem is not a must have but can really make things "shine" with ENB without suffering heavy performance losses.

Edited by --JawZ--, 07 June 2013 - 10:20 PM.

Slinkusss

Slinkusss

Regular

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Gosh Gopher you really are a hardworking, diligent and thorough contributor to the Skyrim community.

I was just wanting to look into ENBs.

Thank you!

Kalell

Kalell

Old hand

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
I used an ENB for several months and loved the way it looked, but eventually I got tired of the fps hit. Without the ENB I could stay at a steady 60 fps on ultra in most places, but with the ENB my fps was cut to the mid 30's.

I ended up using Imaginator, Dynavision, FXAA Injector, and a stripped ENB that only has sunrays and detailed shadows enabled. As far as color I was able to match the ENB I had been using almost exactly. Unfortunately the realistic lighting was something I wasn't able to replicate, but overall it wasn't a bad compromise. With everything I have installed now I usually only get about a 4 or 5 fps hit (sometimes no hit at all) vs what I get with the vanilla game. I sure do miss that beautiful lighting though.

TomSawyer

TomSawyer

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

several people have not tried them because they either don't know what they do, or are nervous about installing them.

Im one of the several but the reason is that ENB cause fps loss. There are mods out there who make skyrim very nice looking and without fps loss so thats the better way for me.

Edited by TomSawyer, 07 June 2013 - 11:15 PM.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.168 seconds