Photo

Morrowind's 20th Anniversary - Modathon, Prizes, Memories!

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

BigBizkit

BigBizkit

Community Manager

• Admin
  • 6,300 posts
Morrowind is turning 20 today! To celebrate this anniversary, our good friend darkelfguy is running a special edition of his yearly Morrowind May Modathon and we're also giving away fabulous prizes in our Morrowind quiz!

Did you know that our site started out as a fansite for The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind? That's right, and that was back in 2001 when the site launched under the name "Morrowind Chronicles" in anticipation of and leading up to the game's release exactly 20 years ago - 1 May 2002.

Ever since, Morrowind modding has been a staple of our site and the community for this classic RPG is going strong to this very day. It's because of this fact that we're today celebrating the 20th anniversary of TES III: Morrowind. As part of the celebrations, we've come up with a short quiz which is suitable for everybody regardless of whether you've played Morrowind or not - as long as you know a thing or two about Elder Scrolls lore!

Posted Image

The Prizes

• 1x Game of your choice (Steam/GOG/Origin)
  • 1x Steam Gift Cards valued at £25
  • 2x Steam Gift Cards valued at £10

Morrowind May Modathon

But that's not all, like every year darkelfguy is running another Morrowind May Modathon and, given the occasion, you can bet it's a special one. Please, darkelfguy, take it away:

Morrowind's 20th anniversary is finally upon us, and to celebrate this momentous occasion, today I'm once again announcing the eighth annual Morrowind May Modathon Month Modding Competition, one of the biggest annual modding competitions in The Elder Scrolls modding community. Returning on May 1st, the Modathon will once again run throughout the entire month of May, and as always, participating Morrowind mods will have a chance to win a slew of prizes and unlock any of a number of new achievements as they try and become the ultimate modding champions of 2022!

The last few years have been absolutely massive for the Morrowind modding community, with over a thousand new mods released each year, including over 1200 mods released just in 2021! And about 236 of those were from last year's Modathon! But of course, for Morrowind's big 20th anniversary, we're looking to beat that record, and to that end, we once again have over 70 achievements for modders to unlock, for everything from overhauling a town, to building a cozy little house mod, to creating entire new gameplay mechanics, and much, much more! Unlock as many as you can!

In addition to achievements, this year we're also introducing optional themed weekly challenges that will run alongside the Modathon. Can you make a mod to match each theme? New achievements and prizes await for those who take up the challenges!

Participation is simple, any Morrowind mod released in May can be entered into the competition, just remember to include a tagline "Part of the May Modathon Month" (or the Modathon logo) near the top of your mod's description, or use the Modathon 2022 tag to enter your mod as part of the competition. You'll be automatically entered to potentially win one of our weekly random-drawing prizes, and of course unlock achievements!

Mod your way to fame and glory in the biggest modding event of the year, and help celebrate one of the greatest games ever made! The best games never die, so get out there, have fun, and build a ton of mods to make this great game even better than ever before!

The competition runs from May 1st (12am GMT) through to June 2nd (12pm GMT), and you can find out more about how to participate, along with a complete list of achievements, over on the official announcement thread! 

More Nostalgia!

If you're now thinking "an anniversary quiz and the modathon are great, but I want MORE Morrowind" then Danae has got you covered. Over the last few months, Danae has collected many stories from avid Morrowind players - you may call them memories - and, with the help of XeroFoxx? who did the visual work, combined them into an equally impressive and nostalgic booklet.

Here's a sneak preview, but if you want to see the full thing then keep your eyes peeled on our social media where we'll be posting the link to the entire booklet once it's finished.

UPDATE: The site hosting the full booklet is now live and can be viewed here.

Posted Image

Moreover, Danae has been putting in an incredible amount of work into both a mod author interview series, as well as a podcast on YouTube - talking to various mod authors about their experience with Morrowind.

A huge thank you goes out to you both, Danae and darkelfguy, for showing and sharing your love for Morrowind to this day. It's not only the game that really put our site on the map, but we're also proud that even in 2022 the Morrowind modding community is still going so strong.

Thank you to all the mod authors and everyone who is still wandering Vvardenfell, in other words, playing and modding Morrowind even two whole decades after its initial release!

AlienSlof

AlienSlof

Crazy Cat Lady

• Premium Member
  • 2,768 posts
I'm happy to be a part of this for Morrowind's 20th birthday! Still working on my offering. :)

MTRHasAlreadyBeenTaken

MTRHasAlreadyBeenTaken

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Happy Morrowind's Birthday Everyone! :P

Edited by MTRHasAlreadyBeenTaken, 01 May 2022 - 11:29 AM.

alex3725337wolf

alex3725337wolf

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Happy Birthday!

Corsair83

Corsair83

Old hand

• Premium Member
  • 839 posts
Morrowind will always be home - it's where I learned the ins and outs of how a game operates under the hood, where I learned to use photoshop, and where I finally put decades-old quest ideas into some tangible form. And above all else, Morrowind's the one place, where the modding community feels as much at home as wandering the streets of Balmora. The fact that it's grown exponentially, despite newer titles in the series, is a true testament to this irreplaceable game. New games may come and go, but Morrowind is forever my place.

Edited by Corsair83, 01 May 2022 - 11:42 AM.

black7en

black7en

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Happy Birthday Morrowind <3 

Danae123

Danae123

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,521 posts
Happy birthday Morrowind.

antistar

antistar

Resident poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,341 posts
As a kid/teenager in the nineties, my favourite game of all time was Ultima 7. Ultima 9 was the first game I followed the development of, and I became extremely hyped for it. Unfortunately, Ultima 9 was a crushing disappointment once it finally came out in the late nineties. It was my first time learning that lesson.

A little while later, I found myself following the development of weird-looking game called Morrowind, and couldn't help but get hyped for it too. I even picked out a race and put together a custom class before the game's release. (A Khajiit ninja-type.)

Unlike Ultima 9, Morrowind actually lived up to the hype. Morrowind taught me to love (games) again. I think it's still far and away the game I've got the most out of, out of all the games I've ever played.

Happy 20th birthday, Morrowind!

JimboUK

JimboUK

There's someone watching me, I can tell.

• Premium Member
  • 46,264 posts
Twenty years, now I feel old. 

theocddragon

theocddragon

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 375 posts
morrowind .

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.039 seconds