Fallout 4 Survival Mode Beta

SirSalami

In response to post #36664880. #36696840 is also a reply to the same post.

DannyOuter wrote: Man...
...I want to play this beta, but since I have play this game with the mods that I have, I don't want to go back. Anybody knows how long this beta will last? And when they will release it as a non beta update?
Camonna Tong wrote: If you put a "*" in front of a mod in your plugin.txt, your mod will work. For example, If there's a mod called mod1.esp, then under the other plugins you will put *mod1.esp and so on.

Bethesda never disabled mods, they just changed the way the mods are loaded in preparation for the CK and the Bethesda.net uploading. If I were to guess, the game will remove the asterisk to disable the mod.

Does putting a * in front of the mod name in plugin.txt really allow a mod to run?

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #36664880. #36696840, #36703575 are all replies on the same post.

...I want to play this beta, but since I have play this game with the mods that I have, I don't want to go back. Anybody knows how long this beta will last? And when they will release it as a non beta update?
Camonna Tong wrote: If you put a "*" in front of a mod in your plugin.txt, your mod will work. For example, If there's a mod called mod1.esp, then under the other plugins you will put *mod1.esp and so on.

Bethesda never disabled mods, they just changed the way the mods are loaded in preparation for the CK and the Bethesda.net uploading. If I were to guess, the game will remove the asterisk to disable the mod.
orcus2190 wrote: Does putting a * in front of the mod name in plugin.txt really allow a mod to run?

no it didnt work for me

In response to post #36664880. #36696840, #36703575, #36707050 are all replies on the same post.

orcus2190 wrote: Does putting a * in front of the mod name in plugin.txt really allow a mod to run?
hieunj wrote: no it didnt work for me

Yes, it absolutely works. Just remember to set plugins.txt to read-only after you make the changes, and not opening NMM after that if you don't want to start over again. For more info, check "Solution #3" in the description of this mod:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11479/?

You can even use the tool it provides to save you the changing plugins.txt process. I've tested it by myself and it completely works.

You're welcome :)

I don't have the beta, but I got a NMM update and now no mods works. After reinstalling them my game just crashes when I try to load a game.

What's that got to do with this topic?

In response to post #36538710. #36546365, #36563250, #36563570, #36594350, #36615955, #36631860, #36632370 are all replies on the same post.

killgore wrote: I played FNV story in 1 run before f4 release in survival mode and in FNV it was well done if a bit on the easy side, you had use for food and water and all items so it was good

now this survival mode of f4 is a pile of poo because it's not the same game at all
FO4 is about building and crafting stuff aka hoarding items around..the sleep I can play with the lack of fast travel NO the game is entirely around crafting stuff this is not an action fps
also this game is badly designed from the start, that loose max health with rads breaks half the perks, I would bet on the fact it was an after tought
so maybe before trying to make ( I say try because we all played better survival mods than that...crap) maybe they should try to fix the base game mechanics which are badly broken
the whole eat drink system doesnt even work because you are a builder and can create your own food and drink very easily, so its just a matter of building sources and using them

to have a proper survival mode you would have to rewrite 70% of the story remove all crafting change half the perks redo the whole game loot it's never happening so its only a waste of dev time, leave the serious adult stuff to modders Bethesda
and keep improving on your fallout-craft since you decided to do that
printerkop wrote: I have to agree with you on the fact that it is silly that you can create tons of food and water, so it ain't really survival, more resource management, make sure you grow enough and carry it around and you'll never get hungry or thirsty, yeah, just for one second till you hit the hotkey your water and food is under.

after playing it for a while it became a bit tedious to have to drink and eat all the time.
in that regard it definitely has nothing to do with survival.

the combat however is nice only the first 20 levels, after that you become a tank again and again almost can't die in combat anymore, only when they throw 20 molotovs in 10 seconds at you or shoot a mininuke (which are sometimes ridiculously powerful because the enemies have 3x damage perks), or some ridiculously high level enemies spawn all of a sudden right in front of you.

i do like the game, but it needs a serious overhaul to be really challenging and fun from beginning to end.

I might give that a go once the creation kit is released, but i doubt if it is easy to do since the AI is just bad, it needs to be rewritten, right now they just make enemies have a lot of HP or have weapons with humongous damage, while some are just flies you can swat, there's no real balance here.

STALKER did this a lot better, enemies and player both had the ability to kill eachoter in a few shots, and they ran around and hide behind cover much smarter. They where also always there, they didn't spawn, you could see the enemies in the PDA all across the map infact walking around.

That being said, you could ignore the crafting stuff alltogether and just play the game, only use looted weapons from enemies and only take bullets with you, also, when you take the no rads from eating and drinking perk you don't need to worry about food and drinks, you can just gobble up an animal after you killed it.
it is doable, but i agree that it still needs to be rewritten if you want to call it survival mode.

EDIT: hah, just when i typed this i got an email from Bethesda that i can BETA test the Creation kit, time to dig into the scripts some deeper.
MagnaBob wrote: STALKER imho was and is the best FPS game ever. It was certainly the most deadly.
killgore wrote: it's not that I hate survival modes but I played several "needs" mods in oblivion-skyrim-f3 and fnv and all of them were better than the official survival beta of F4 so I'm a bit disappointed :/ especially after new vegasi
also the 1st 2 dlcs are : craft robots & more crafting items so yeah for me F4 is a crafting game now I went with it and have fun building stuff..I just hope they won't do that to the next elder scroll O_O

loved stalker too but my favorite fps AI I think was FEAR(1) if you made any noise they were coming to you guaranteed and often 1 enemy per corridor not all from the same direction

I mod bethesda games since 2006 so I've seen what the modder community can create and it's way better than the survival beta ;)
faky wrote: Have to agree with this but original 'survival' mode was poo as well.
If anything i'd say this overhual is bit better from original but once kit is out we will get what i should have been.

That beeing said they could tweek some stuff like make your settlers actually do some stuff for settlement instead of freeloading.

Like to send them to collect those mats so you dont have to hoard stuff around without maybe some rare stuff. An eg. that game which they made you know fallout shelter it could have been more like that the settlement management.

Also fast travel could be swaped with vertibirds not like you can controll them manually anyway and you have to unlock them first.
printerkop wrote: that would indeed fix the only problem i have with the game, that settlers just make sure there is enough materials to build the rest of the settlement.

That way you only have to set up the initial base, and you won't have to hoard materials and can just play the game, and just build stuff when you get back in your settlement.

cause the scavenging for desktop fan's and getting overencumbered get's mighty tiresome after a while.
HighGuy92 wrote: You're an idiot. If you know so much about how to make a survival game, why don't you go make one and then come back and say how bad this game is? No? I thought as much.
Ethreon wrote: Has 4 posts, comes and insults someone for disagreeing with them.

he was probably high and forgot his manners in the process.

In response to post #36538710. #36546365, #36563250, #36563570, #36594350, #36615955, #36631860, #36632370, #36734090 are all replies on the same post.

killgore wrote: I played FNV story in 1 run before f4 release in survival mode and in FNV it was well done if a bit on the easy side, you had use for food and water and all items so it was good

now this survival mode of f4 is a pile of poo because it's not the same game at all
FO4 is about building and crafting stuff aka hoarding items around..the sleep I can play with the lack of fast travel NO the game is entirely around crafting stuff this is not an action fps
also this game is badly designed from the start, that loose max health with rads breaks half the perks, I would bet on the fact it was an after tought
so maybe before trying to make ( I say try because we all played better survival mods than that...crap) maybe they should try to fix the base game mechanics which are badly broken
the whole eat drink system doesnt even work because you are a builder and can create your own food and drink very easily, so its just a matter of building sources and using them

to have a proper survival mode you would have to rewrite 70% of the story remove all crafting change half the perks redo the whole game loot it's never happening so its only a waste of dev time, leave the serious adult stuff to modders Bethesda
printerkop wrote: I have to agree with you on the fact that it is silly that you can create tons of food and water, so it ain't really survival, more resource management, make sure you grow enough and carry it around and you'll never get hungry or thirsty, yeah, just for one second till you hit the hotkey your water and food is under.

after playing it for a while it became a bit tedious to have to drink and eat all the time.

the combat however is nice only the first 20 levels, after that you become a tank again and again almost can't die in combat anymore, only when they throw 20 molotovs in 10 seconds at you or shoot a mininuke (which are sometimes ridiculously powerful because the enemies have 3x damage perks), or some ridiculously high level enemies spawn all of a sudden right in front of you.

i do like the game, but it needs a serious overhaul to be really challenging and fun from beginning to end.

I might give that a go once the creation kit is released, but i doubt if it is easy to do since the AI is just bad, it needs to be rewritten, right now they just make enemies have a lot of HP or have weapons with humongous damage, while some are just flies you can swat, there's no real balance here.

STALKER did this a lot better, enemies and player both had the ability to kill eachoter in a few shots, and they ran around and hide behind cover much smarter. They where also always there, they didn't spawn, you could see the enemies in the PDA all across the map infact walking around.

That being said, you could ignore the crafting stuff alltogether and just play the game, only use looted weapons from enemies and only take bullets with you, also, when you take the no rads from eating and drinking perk you don't need to worry about food and drinks, you can just gobble up an animal after you killed it.
it is doable, but i agree that it still needs to be rewritten if you want to call it survival mode.

EDIT: hah, just when i typed this i got an email from Bethesda that i can BETA test the Creation kit, time to dig into the scripts some deeper.
MagnaBob wrote: STALKER imho was and is the best FPS game ever. It was certainly the most deadly.
killgore wrote: it's not that I hate survival modes but I played several "needs" mods in oblivion-skyrim-f3 and fnv and all of them were better than the official survival beta of F4 so I'm a bit disappointed :/ especially after new vegasi
also the 1st 2 dlcs are : craft robots & more crafting items so yeah for me F4 is a crafting game now I went with it and have fun building stuff..I just hope they won't do that to the next elder scroll O_O

loved stalker too but my favorite fps AI I think was FEAR(1) if you made any noise they were coming to you guaranteed and often 1 enemy per corridor not all from the same direction

I mod bethesda games since 2006 so I've seen what the modder community can create and it's way better than the survival beta ;)
faky wrote: Have to agree with this but original 'survival' mode was poo as well.
If anything i'd say this overhual is bit better from original but once kit is out we will get what i should have been.

That beeing said they could tweek some stuff like make your settlers actually do some stuff for settlement instead of freeloading.

Like to send them to collect those mats so you dont have to hoard stuff around without maybe some rare stuff. An eg. that game which they made you know fallout shelter it could have been more like that the settlement management.

Also fast travel could be swaped with vertibirds not like you can controll them manually anyway and you have to unlock them first.
printerkop wrote: that would indeed fix the only problem i have with the game, that settlers just make sure there is enough materials to build the rest of the settlement.

That way you only have to set up the initial base, and you won't have to hoard materials and can just play the game, and just build stuff when you get back in your settlement.

cause the scavenging for desktop fan's and getting overencumbered get's mighty tiresome after a while.
HighGuy92 wrote: You're an idiot. If you know so much about how to make a survival game, why don't you go make one and then come back and say how bad this game is? No? I thought as much.
Ethreon wrote: Has 4 posts, comes and insults someone for disagreeing with them.
printerkop wrote: he was probably high and forgot his manners in the process.

The idea of using vertabirds as fast travel is genius. I still think that making a version that you pilot would be more fun. But atleast in the spirit of survival mode, having the vertabird require fuel and potentionally shot down in route should be a feature. Man this is giving me so many ideas... printerkop, if you don't make a mod for this I just might! Come on besthesda, come out with the creation kit or make this a feature already!!!

In response to post #36538710. #36546365, #36563250, #36563570, #36594350, #36615955, #36631860, #36632370, #36734090, #36777275 are all replies on the same post.

printerkop wrote: he was probably high and forgot his manners in the process.
Viseriod wrote: The idea of using vertabirds as fast travel is genius. I still think that making a version that you pilot would be more fun. But atleast in the spirit of survival mode, having the vertabird require fuel and potentionally shot down in route should be a feature. Man this is giving me so many ideas... printerkop, if you don't make a mod for this I just might! Come on besthesda, come out with the creation kit or make this a feature already!!!

Pack Brahmins (mod), Automatrons, Companions, and Lone Wanderer Dogmeat combo, Scavenging Benches(or whatevertheycallems). Those all aid you in hoarding and transporting scrap to make your super, ultra, mega, minuteman base of ultimate doom. They also become much, much more important. You really have to think about how much food, water, and ammo you're taking with you into the Boston wastes. It definitely has a bunch of rough edges (no indicators for how much you need to eat/drink/sleep? No values on food and water? C'mon Beth, that's a no brainer) but I'm really starting to like what could be done with it. Ultimately modders will make it immensely better but it's a nice platform to start from.