Wanted: NMM Testers and Focus Group

TheTokenGeek

Agree with the previous post (by jones177)

The idea about the shared profiles sounds even worse than the mandatory profiling and the symlinks stuff.

If I have even one mod that is not downloaded from Nexus and there is at least one that depends on it everybody that downloads this profile will get CTDs.

The amount of chaos and confusion and the added complexity for mod authors to debug based on user's feedback will be quite big.

I imagine you will block profiles that contain at least one non-Nexus mod from been uploaded for sharing in order to prevent that. But mod authors hide or remove mods at will. And sometimes publish new updates that are not backward-compatible. So even with Nexus-only mods the risks are still too big.

It seems to me this will tie NMM even closer to the Nexus site. I really hope you don't go too far in this direction.

On the Fallout4 front it seems you are getting ready to go to war with Bethesda's upcoming mod hub and vanilla mod manager. It's an uneven fight but I'm getting my popcorn ready :-)

But I really do hope soon you consider the NMM Lite idea and revive the nice tool that pre 0.60 NMM is. This will make lot's of people happy.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #36889375.

Argelos wrote: It would be really cool if you would cjust contact the author of Mod Organizer and create a mix. Most features like UI, Archive-Handling are simply better than NMMs, so why should you invest work, when you already have an advanced Organizer to built on?

+1 .... best thing about mod organizer is that u can pack it on usb without a game and take it use it leater... Also no changes in "core" game... mmmm..

I dont want to share my profiles because I modify just about every single mod i download and at least 60% of the mods i use come from somehwere else or are my personal mods. I dont want to download other people's profiles either. so please don't ruin the experience for those of us who don;'t want that stuff. Don't be windows 8/10

What if we use Mod Organizer? I only ask because what you describe ( "You see a mod you like on our site, you click ‘Download with NMM’ and have it seamlessly downloaded, unpacked and placed in the right location with minimal fuss. Don’t like the file, then click to uninstall and NMM will go through and ensure that all remnants of that file are removed and your game functions exactly as it did previously." ) is what i am already experiencing with MO. I love it's profile based modding system where I can play vanilla, optimized, or full out modded versions. Now I admit I have never used NMM, but that's only because all modding tutorials suggested MO over NMM. I would love to support this page in it's endeavor to provide a more friendly modding environment, but as my Skyrim is perfect right now, I do not want to jeopardize my game with beta testing an unstable mod manager. Edited by snowharpy

One think I always wondered is that Modders while emulate where the files go, but if I copy and paste to manual install, Windows will overwrite the Folders Rather than Merge and on top of that if I want uninstall...I would have to find each file myself.

If Modders say Put these ffiles in the DATA Folder, here and here, really there just needs to be a program that follows the Modder's Folder Structure set out for us (Data > Mesh/Texture > character, etc) , knows which files belong to which Mod (For Uninstalling & Updating) and from there detect optional files that can be switched out (Keep All, but don't remove or overwrite), detect un Program from Mod Manager) and last have the Validation Activation reactivate itself every time you install a mod.

And from there back when I use to mod GTA:SA, people make 2 Types of Mods, Replacers and Adders if it where possible to choose easily between the two and as well if you can choose to make an Add Mod a Replace Mod and versa.

Edited by Lukong1515

In response to post #36895500.

snowharpy wrote: What if we use Mod Organizer? I only ask because what you describe ( "You see a mod you like on our site, you click ‘Download with NMM’ and have it seamlessly downloaded, unpacked and placed in the right location with minimal fuss. Don’t like the file, then click to uninstall and NMM will go through and ensure that all remnants of that file are removed and your game functions exactly as it did previously." ) is what i am already experiencing with MO. I love it's profile based modding system where I can play vanilla, optimized, or full out modded versions. Now I admit I have never used NMM, but that's only because all modding tutorials suggested MO over NMM. I would love to support this page in it's endeavor to provide a more friendly modding environment, but as my Skyrim is perfect right now. I do not want to jeopardize my game with beta testing an unstable mod manager.

Good point. It *probably* would be able to detect what kind of mod manager it is using, but it never fails to address that not all of us use NMM.

After reading this and the comments I have to say... Keep in mind that there are various Modders of varying capabilities. NMM Lite is good for those with more experience. But if you want to keep attracting more people than having a choice through an installation wizard would be fantastic. Adding OPTIONAL tutorials and putting things in plain speak for all to understand would enable the less able to progress and slowly gain confidence and control over their modding experience.

Having NMM heavily automated is a great start... helping people understand what is going on with their game files is better. If you don't understand which mods effect what, than you are still screwed when bugs appear in-game.

What about having our mod profiles backed up to the server, so we can download all mods on the profile at once? This way if we have to reinstall the game or use another pc re-downloading all the mods would be less of a hassle.

In response to post #36897420.

frogsot wrote: What about having our mod profiles backed up to the server, so we can download all mods on the profile at once? This way if we have to reinstall the game or use another pc re-downloading all the mods would be less of a hassle.

That's one of the main parts of the Profile functionality we're currently testing.

In response to post #36893740.

Jinxxed0 wrote: I dont want to share my profiles because I modify just about every single mod i download and at least 60% of the mods i use come from somehwere else or are my personal mods. I dont want to download other people's profiles either. so please don't ruin the experience for those of us who don;'t want that stuff. Don't be windows 8/10

Then don't share your profile or download other people's profiles, then...