Wanted: NMM Testers and Focus Group

TheTokenGeek

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #36995585.

cykablyatcheekki wrote: Personally I'd like to see NMM not break FO4 for once

Currently it is really the only choice that I know for modding Fallout 4 if you don't want to do it manually. MO is still very buggy last time I tried.

Edited by rblood01

I appreciate the added efforts and the streaming of the development process (Github etc). I have noticed a constant stream of versions and yes, some of those have problems but I suspect it is more due to all the advanced features that are being added.

It might not be where we want it to be and yes might have some issues however so far I have noticed a steady stream of versions attempting to resolve those issues (most are due to added features that some desire). I am sure at this rate things will get sorted and NMM will be stable and fully functional.

In response to post #36995585. #37002955 is also a reply to the same post.

cykablyatcheekki wrote: Personally I'd like to see NMM not break FO4 for once
rblood01 wrote: Currently it is really the only choice that I know for modding Fallout 4 if you don't want to do it manually. MO is still very buggy last time I tried.

Well, it's probably more the case that the Creation Kit hasn't been released yet, so all the mods so far are bodges.

I tested the beta with the profile backup/sharing for several hours. I don't think it is appropriate to discuss it in an open forum outside of the dedicated channels for this. But I also don't want to leave some suspicions and worries I have expressed here earlier hanging.

That's why I want to assure everybody that the profile backup/sharing is indeed implemented as an optional feature. It doesn't affect other aspects of the way the software works and it will not inconvenience you in any way if you choose to ignore it. I do believe many people will use the online backup even if now they are skeptical about it. If only for the "peace of mind" that there is a "off-site" backup that is quickly created and used. Also because the feature is designed in a way to keep the install order, the load order and the choices made when installing mods, such a backup is way superior than simply copy/paste of files.

P.S. Really not sure how appropriate is posting this at this time. If the moderators think it is not please delete the post.

In response to post #36886230. #36886405, #36886615 are all replies on the same post.

BlindJudge wrote: We’re currently in the process of adding new features into Nexus Mod Manager, Robin covered it briefly in a previous news post, so I’ll try and expand a little more.

What we are aiming for with NMM is a piece of software that will make the installation, management and visibility of mods incredibly easy and open. You see a mod you like on our site, you click ‘Download with NMM’ and have it seamlessly downloaded, unpacked and placed in the right location with minimal fuss. Don’t like the file, then click to uninstall and NMM will go through and ensure that all remnants of that file are removed and your game functions exactly as it did previously. We’ve not really scratched the surface of advanced modding techniques yet, but we’ll get there once we’ve sussed out the simple stuff!

The thing is, with a bare-bones team behind the scenes here at the Nexus, testing and bug finding is a very long and tedious process, and we often miss things that an extended team might pick up on. So we are looking to find some current users of the NMM to join Robin, myself and the team in testing the future builds and helping us develop a concise and user-friendly bit of software.

You will be added to a closed focus group that will be dedicated to the NMM platform and be able to try out new test builds before we publish the new version to the masses. It’ll be your job to try and break the test builds and inform us of the problem so we can fix it.

If you fancy joining in then either drop me a PM through the site or an email to [email protected] and I will send you an invite through a piece of software called ‘Slack’. Here we will have a number of channels where you can discuss bugs you find for a particular build, ideas you have for improving the software or even just to chat about the weather. Within the group you will have direct access to Robin, Tom, Dave and Myself along with the NMM developers and with all of us working together we’ll move the NMM platform onwards and upwards.

Our current tests involve the new ‘Profile backup and sharing’ functionality. Here a user can save their mod profile and have it backed up on the Nexus Mods site. This profile can either be kept as a personal backup, available only to yourself, or it can be shared with other users, allowing them to download any mods they’re missing from your profile and have it setup exactly how you have it (including scripted installer options, installation order and load order). The result being they can play their game with the exact same mods and options as yourself.

In addition, we'd like to invite those of you interested in directly helping us with the development of NMM to the new repo we've opened on Github. Though NMM has always been open-source, we're hoping that the well-known Github interface and functionality will inspire even more collaboration. We're always on the lookout for new and better ways of doing things as well as expanding NMM's feature-set. So, if you're familiar with modding and software development, your contributions will undoubtedly go a long way in helping us offer a better modding experience for everyone.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance

Kind regards

http://s16.postimg.org/aitykfgyp/signature_xsmall_yellow.png
fredlaus wrote: I was a scepitic and I am no more so I will keep at that way.
Good luck with building a testing company - I guess that will not become a big problem :-)
crisdavid7341 wrote: Love this idea and will shoot a message. :D

I can only find the Windows version, where can I find a version for Linux?

In response to post #37008355.

prinyo wrote:

I tested the beta with the profile backup/sharing for several hours. I don't think it is appropriate to discuss it in an open forum outside of the dedicated channels for this. But I also don't want to leave some suspicions and worries I have expressed here earlier hanging.

That's why I want to assure everybody that the profile backup/sharing is indeed implemented as an optional feature. It doesn't affect other aspects of the way the software works and it will not inconvenience you in any way if you choose to ignore it. I do believe many people will use the online backup even if now they are skeptical about it. If only for the "peace of mind" that there is a "off-site" backup that is quickly created and used. Also because the feature is designed in a way to keep the install order, the load order and the choices made when installing mods, such a backup is way superior than simply copy/paste of files.

P.S. Really not sure how appropriate is posting this at this time. If the moderators think it is not please delete the post.

The focus group is private because we want to ensure the people using the test builds are aware of the risks when using the test builds. If other people get their hands on it and use it then they do so at their own risk.

I'd say it's fine to comment on the functionality, but naturally anything released in the test builds is in an unrefined state and ergo is subject to a lot of change, especially on the cosmetic side. So it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

We're not enforcing an NDA or anything.

Not sure if it is possible but if we could make it so that we can merge mods together to save .esp/.esm and balance the system better I would appreciate it. For example I can then easily merge all weapons into one file. When I download a new weapon I can test it if there are no conflicts then merge it with all the others with a simple interface.

This might be a pipe dream as I am unfamiliar with scripting but if it is possible I think many people would love this idea.

I also want to thank the Nexus for having one of the best Mod sites for many games available. I come here first before try downloading any where else. Keep up the good work and I look forward in checking out the new manager

Hi, and thanks so much for an awesome tool for modders and gamers !

I never had any problem updating NMM up to 0.61.16, however the latest update "updating function" has a bug : it can't find the downloaded update and thus doesn't install it. From then on it won't automatically update anymore, since the last erroneous auto update already downloaded the file (but couldn't find it so as to actually do the update). Here's an image of the error pop-up:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/images/29086/?

Edited by HawkFest