Skyrim Special Edition Nexus Mod Manager support

SirSalami

6499047-1477623017.gif

The continued dedication that our community displays towards Skyrim as a modding platform never ceases to amaze us. Looking back, other titles have come and gone but the Skyrim modding community remains as strong as ever. In fact, the Skyrim Nexus hit the 1 billion downloads mark at the end of last month. One Billion! Modders everywhere have made the harsh icy lands of Skyrim their home and with the release of the Special Edition, it would seem this tradition is likely to continue.

While it's definitely going to be fun returning to a fresh but familiar Skyrim, there are certain considerations that we modders must make before getting back on the wagon, so-to-speak. Specifically, in regards to compatibility.

---------------

Save file compatibility

Unmodded or "vanilla" save files from the original Skyrim are supported by Skyrim Special Edition (SSE). Simply copy (rather than move) the appropriate files from the original folder (/Documents/My Games/Skyrim/Saves), to the new one (/Documents/My Games/Skyrim Special Edition/Saves).

More concerning to us modders however, is compatibility between modded save files and SSE. In short, there are no guarantees that a modded save file for original Skyrim will be compatible with SSE. This is especially the case with save files that are dependent on modded content that is not compatible and present in your SSE installation.

---------------

Mod compatibility

As Jim outlined in his previous post, there are several key changes that determine SSE compatibility with original Skyrim mods. These include new compression methods, new methods of handling meshes and animations, to name a few. This means updating will simply not be possible in many cases. For those that are able, it will take some time for authors to convert and republish their work, so please respect their time and efforts and be patient.

Authors, we encourage you to please hide existing, or refrain from publishing, any mods that have not yet been confirmed as working with SSE. Once confirmed, feel free to use our new duplication tools and publish your file. For more information about compatibility and updating mods for SSE, Thallassa has written up a detailed outline which can be found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/wiki/sse#wiki_how_will_mods_work_for_sse_on_pc.3F

---------------

So with all of that said, we suggest that you prepare yourself to "start fresh", both with a new character and a new set of SSE compatible mods that can be found on our SSE Nexus site. That may sound a bit ominous, especially to those of you with huge load-orders, but it's important to remember that SSE is a stand-alone installation separate from original Skyrim. This means that you can keep your current Skyrim installation, load-order, and data folder intact with NMM appropriately handling the titles separately when utilized.

Which brings me to the release of the latest (and possibly last!) update to Nexus Mod Manager. This update brings support for SSE, with all of the bells and whistles you'd expect including easy downloads, installations, and endorsements of SSE mods. Again, NMM will treat SSE as a separate title from original Skyrim, hopefully making the process as intuitive as currently possible.

Download the latest version: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/modmanager/

6499047-1477624257.jpg

It's been a long but lovely road for Nexus Mod Manager. The knowledge we've gained from NMM will be instrumental during the development of our next platform... Until then, stay tuned and happy modding!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I correct to assume that MO2 will NOT recieve an update to work with SkyrimSE?

(Just asking, since after what Dark0ne and Tannin posted and said in the "Tannin now works for Nexus" news and thread, it did sound like it was acknowledged that both tools had a target audience that was/is "important". And since the new mod organizer/manager won't likely see the light of day for many months, only updating NMM now does seem quite a bit strange and has a certain "playing favourites" vibe to it. Because, lets face it, long-term MO users who are used to it's feature set will be unlikely to be happy to have to switch to another tool that seems inferior in their eyes. And yes, I am among them.)

In response to post #43627705.

SpiritWolf448 wrote:

Am I correct to assume that MO2 will NOT recieve an update to work with SkyrimSE?

(Just asking, since after what Dark0ne and Tannin posted and said in the "Tannin now works for Nexus" news and thread, it did sound like it was acknowledged that both tools had a target audience that was/is "important". And since the new mod organizer/manager won't likely see the light of day for many months, only updating NMM now does seem quite a bit strange and has a certain "playing favourites" vibe to it. Because, lets face it, long-term MO users who are used to it's feature set will be unlikely to be happy to have to switch to another tool that seems inferior in their eyes. And yes, I am among them.)

Yes... If I read the articles correctly Tannin has stopped any dev of MO2. So unless someone comes along to take over and continue we will likely not be able to use MO2 with Skyrim SE. Sad.

It is indeed cool that the NMM team was so quick to update NMM for the new Skyrim release. I will miss MO for the management of the game however appreciate the efforts to get the NMM up and running for Skyrim SE considering the current version is being discontinued with Tannin leading the dev team to create a new replacement.

Edited by rblood01