Nexus Mods and GOG Giveaway

TerrorFox1234

In response to post #50669642. #50684202 is also a reply to the same post.

Styrj wrote: I am a GOG regular and frequent the site on a daily basis. When I saw Oblivion and Fallout 3 up on GOG, I almost fell out of my chair. When I came to my senses, I scooped up both (DRM free @ $9.99 a pop = NO BRAINER).
Daynox wrote: Same here brother....same here!!

I'm waiting for "GOG connect" feature.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #50637042. #50637457, #50641767, #50642032, #50642107, #50661332, #50663927, #50670942, #50684132, #50687542 are all replies on the same post.

Maro2107 wrote: Steam is better)
Adeline wrote: i think the same
kcaz25 wrote: drm free though on gog
TerrorFox1234 wrote: Thank you for this incredibly helpful and necessary contribution.
Ethreon wrote: Objectively steam is not better.
Ilrita wrote: Why? Because it has more games? If that's your reason, I disagree entirely. I prefer GOG; reliable, safe, great support, awesome prices and it is a site team that actually appreciates its customers and fans.
Meihyr wrote: > Steam is better)
Well then go and use Steam? If you have no interest in GOG or this giveaway, than don't bother with it.
CaranthirArunwen wrote: Why is Steam better? If you buy a game from GOG and it is marked working with Windows 10, it will work with Windows 10. If you buy games from Steam and they say the game will work with Windows 10...... good luck. Had to fix the Steam games with patches from the net.

So.... GOG is MUCH better.
Sexyowl wrote: Actually I beg to differ. I have had many problems with some GOG games which simply refuse to run. Their support is so bad that I have simply abandoned any hope of me ever playing them. If I see one i like on GOG then I purchase it, but there is a huge risk that it will not work. I have never had that issue with Steam.
mannygt wrote: I love both clients:

GOG
Pros:
- Entirely DRM free
- Download of games can be done via client or via website
- Client is not necessary to run games
- "Connect": some videogames you bought on Steam can be added in your GoG account for free
Cons:
- The catalog does not have so much games but thankfully is growing day by day

STEAM
Pros:
- The catalog is very full of videogames
Cons:
- Games my have third party DRM too such Denuvo
- Client is necessary to download and play videogames

Their support is so bad that I have simply abandoned any hope of me ever playing them.

Sounds to me like you got your companies reversed, cause this is what I always hear about people who contact Steam support. In contrast GoG support is legendary for always being helpful and prompt, and usually right on top of whatever is wrong.

In response to post #50637042. #50637457, #50641767, #50642032, #50642107, #50661332, #50663927, #50670942, #50684132, #50687542, #50687672 are all replies on the same post.

TerrorFox1234 wrote: Thank you for this incredibly helpful and necessary contribution.
Ilrita wrote: Why? Because it has more games? If that's your reason, I disagree entirely. I prefer GOG; reliable, safe, great support, awesome prices and it is a site team that actually appreciates its customers and fans.
Well then go and use Steam? If you have no interest in GOG or this giveaway, than don't bother with it.
CaranthirArunwen wrote: Why is Steam better? If you buy a game from GOG and it is marked working with Windows 10, it will work with Windows 10. If you buy games from Steam and they say the game will work with Windows 10...... good luck. Had to fix the Steam games with patches from the net.

Sexyowl wrote: Actually I beg to differ. I have had many problems with some GOG games which simply refuse to run. Their support is so bad that I have simply abandoned any hope of me ever playing them. If I see one i like on GOG then I purchase it, but there is a huge risk that it will not work. I have never had that issue with Steam.

GOG
Pros:
- Entirely DRM free
- "Connect": some videogames you bought on Steam can be added in your GoG account for free
Cons:

STEAM
Pros:
Cons:
Arthmoor wrote:
Their support is so bad that I have simply abandoned any hope of me ever playing them.

Sounds to me like you got your companies reversed, cause this is what I always hear about people who contact Steam support. In contrast GoG support is legendary for always being helpful and prompt, and usually right on top of whatever is wrong.

GOG is alright, but the library of games available will never be as big as Steam. It's fantastic for older games, though. I have Fallout 1 and 2 on there, as well as Battlespire and Redguard (although Redguard runs awfully).

In response to post #50637042. #50637457, #50641767, #50642032, #50642107, #50661332, #50663927, #50670942, #50684132, #50687542, #50687672, #50688552 are all replies on the same post.

GOG
Pros:
- Entirely DRM free
Cons:

STEAM
Pros:
Cons:
Arthmoor wrote:

StupidDunmer wrote: GOG is alright, but the library of games available will never be as big as Steam. It's fantastic for older games, though. I have Fallout 1 and 2 on there, as well as Battlespire and Redguard (although Redguard runs awfully).

Just my opinion on this one. As far as I understand with GOG you own the game DRM free, Steam you are only leasing it. I looked into this when I was bored and curious and wondered what would happen to any games I own in Steam if the company were to fold. Still lovin' the fact that GOG have released these for peanuts! :) Edited by JamesG73

In response to post #50676477. #50680702, #50681972, #50684127, #50686402 are all replies on the same post.

CokeVoAYCE wrote: can someone explain what the difference is between GOG and steam? what are the pros and cons of each?
lemonsquare wrote: GOG's library of games is entirely DRM free.
Daynox wrote: Good luck getting FO3 to run on any version of windows after vista on Steam. GOG's FO3 just runs!!!!!

I have confirmed that it run perfectly on a win 7 tower, win 8 tower and a win 10 laptop.

Im so happy.
Augusta Calidia wrote: Congratulations to GOG and Steam for their fine cooperative effort.

As to pros and cons for GOG and Steam, I'm staying out of that discussion. I like both sites.

@Daynox. I know that many people have had and continue to have genuine problems trying to run Steam FO3. My guess is that a lot of the problem stems from differing hardware, software, and driver configurations.

However, I recently installed the Steam FO3 GOTY edition on my Win 10 Pro v1607 computer, and it ran "right out of the box." There were no problems whatever. I also have a second gaming computer with the same OS. Once again, the Steam version immediately launched with no problems.

Furthermore, several years ago I installed Steam FO3 on a computer with a Win 7 Pro SP1 OS. It as well installed seamlessly and ran without problems.

Funnily enough just put a response in the previous forum comment that contained what you might be looking for.
As far as I understand with GOG you own the game DRM free, Steam you are only leasing it. Steam does have far more games than GOG. Both are very good at what they do.
Personally I like to own my games outright but I would not be put off from steam if the game I want is on there. There are a couple that I do own on both. Edited by JamesG73

In response to post #50666337. #50668842, #50669047, #50674842, #50677502 are all replies on the same post.

Yondaime12 wrote:

Wow! I love it.

Great that they reached out and that you're doing the give away.

I got Fallout 3 and NV as soon as I saw the sale. The Steam version was very lacking. Glad to see them up there on GOG. :)

nordsavage wrote: It is the same version of the game no matter where you buy it from how could it be lacking?
Ethreon wrote: Don't mind OP, they've got no idea what they're saying.
arcticblue wrote: nordsavage, It's not quite the same version. The Steam version requires hacks to get running on Windows 10. The GOG version requires no such hacks and comes pre-patches for >2GB memory access.
J.O.D. wrote: Brilliantly off-road post...

Love FO3, all hail the GOG! Yep, sunk countless hours over the years into this and still nowhere near finishing the main quest. :) Modding it up just makes it a thing of beauty.

I think one of the main reasons for it's longevity with me has been I find it too easy to set out on a fresh wasteland quest only to start waging a one man war on any wrongdoer I come across. LOL 'Taste Assault rifle raider scum. Oh, What's that? Missing a leg now? I'll have that armour and ammo thanks. Now what was I doing again?'

In response to post #50666337. #50668842, #50669047, #50674842, #50677502, #50689872 are all replies on the same post.

Yondaime12 wrote:

Wow! I love it.

Great that they reached out and that you're doing the give away.

I got Fallout 3 and NV as soon as I saw the sale. The Steam version was very lacking. Glad to see them up there on GOG. :)

nordsavage wrote: It is the same version of the game no matter where you buy it from how could it be lacking?
Ethreon wrote: Don't mind OP, they've got no idea what they're saying.
arcticblue wrote: nordsavage, It's not quite the same version. The Steam version requires hacks to get running on Windows 10. The GOG version requires no such hacks and comes pre-patches for >2GB memory access.
J.O.D. wrote: Brilliantly off-road post...
JamesG73 wrote: Love FO3, all hail the GOG! Yep, sunk countless hours over the years into this and still nowhere near finishing the main quest. :) Modding it up just makes it a thing of beauty.

I think one of the main reasons for it's longevity with me has been I find it too easy to set out on a fresh wasteland quest only to start waging a one man war on any wrongdoer I come across. LOL 'Taste Assault rifle raider scum. Oh, What's that? Missing a leg now? I'll have that armour and ammo thanks. Now what was I doing again?'

I've ran the Steam version multiple times with no problems on W10, at least compared to W7. You are right about the >2GB memory address, but that's not hard to fix. Only time Fallout 3 has any problems is with a bunch of mods, and that's just because the engine is unstable in general. I get more null saves than anything else, and even on Windows 7 that still happened.

It seems to vary for users. Some experienced problems with Oblivion running post WinXP, but I never did.

And a simple .ini tweak isn't really a hack.

No hard copy?

Download speeds in the Unlimited ISP packages only give us 10 GB for our high speed downloads. After I used the 10 GB I had another download that was 21.91 GB. I started it after the first 10 GB was used and the download took 97 hours, that's 4 1/2 days to download.

Seeings as how all the previous versions of FALLOUT Games were PC games, with no link to anyone else's computer, not even in a LAN set up to play against each other in teams on local computers, and did not require any online account.

I would not mind having the complete Fallout series without the link to an outside server like STEAM.

Since there is NO HARD COPY, NO THANKS!

In response to post #50692672.

Pagafyr wrote:

No hard copy?

Download speeds in the Unlimited ISP packages only give us 10 GB for our high speed downloads. After I used the 10 GB I had another download that was 21.91 GB. I started it after the first 10 GB was used and the download took 97 hours, that's 4 1/2 days to download.

Seeings as how all the previous versions of FALLOUT Games were PC games, with no link to anyone else's computer, not even in a LAN set up to play against each other in teams on local computers, and did not require any online account.

I would not mind having the complete Fallout series without the link to an outside server like STEAM.

Since there is NO HARD COPY, NO THANKS!

Make your own hard copy. Download once. Burn to Blu-Ray. Done. Use those installers the next time you want to play, and they'll work even if GoG vanished from the planet.

In response to post #50637042. #50637457, #50641767, #50642032, #50642107, #50661332, #50663927, #50670942, #50684132, #50687542, #50687672, #50688552, #50689297 are all replies on the same post.

GOG
Pros:
- Entirely DRM free
Cons:

STEAM
Pros:
Cons:
Arthmoor wrote:

StupidDunmer wrote: GOG is alright, but the library of games available will never be as big as Steam. It's fantastic for older games, though. I have Fallout 1 and 2 on there, as well as Battlespire and Redguard (although Redguard runs awfully).
JamesG73 wrote: Just my opinion on this one. As far as I understand with GOG you own the game DRM free, Steam you are only leasing it. I looked into this when I was bored and curious and wondered what would happen to any games I own in Steam if the company were to fold. Still lovin' the fact that GOG have released these for peanuts! :)

GOG is alright, but the library of games available will never be as big as Steam.

Give it time. As more publishers wake up and realize DRM isn't protecting their profits the way the DRM companies claimed, they'll come around and GoG's library will only grow.

Also, comparing raw library size isn't really useful since Steam has a hell of a lot of really crappy games that aren't worth the store pages they're on.