Nexus Mods and GOG Giveaway

TerrorFox1234

In response to post #50692672. #50694632, #50713727, #50777167 are all replies on the same post.

Pagafyr wrote:

No hard copy?

Download speeds in the Unlimited ISP packages only give us 10 GB for our high speed downloads. After I used the 10 GB I had another download that was 21.91 GB. I started it after the first 10 GB was used and the download took 97 hours, that's 4 1/2 days to download.

Seeings as how all the previous versions of FALLOUT Games were PC games, with no link to anyone else's computer, not even in a LAN set up to play against each other in teams on local computers, and did not require any online account.

I would not mind having the complete Fallout series without the link to an outside server like STEAM.

Since there is NO HARD COPY, NO THANKS!

Arthmoor wrote: Make your own hard copy. Download once. Burn to Blu-Ray. Done. Use those installers the next time you want to play, and they'll work even if GoG vanished from the planet.
bigdeano89 wrote: You are complaining about something purely based on your own experience. In the UK most broadband is truly unlimited so we have no usage caps. It's also rather fast. Digital is the way of the future, your internet just hasn't caught up yet.
xXBalthorXx wrote: I'm surprised that there are still countries with limits on their broadbands. I live in a shitty european country with a shitty internet connection, but I have no limit whatsoever. In any case, if you want hard copies your best bet are retail stores or sites like Amazon. GOG and Steam, like most modern on-line retailers, only offer digital downloads of games.

Ironically it's because the internet infrastructure in "shitty" EU countries is actually much newer than ours so it's likely all been built with high speed in mind from the start. Ours wasn't. 130 years ago when they strung cheap copper wire up everywhere for terrible voice quality phone calls, nobody even knew what a computer was :P

So we still have plenty of pockets where the infrastructure is 50+ years old and simply can't handle the speeds modern internet use requires.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #50733777. #50733937, #50734032, #50752942, #50758612, #50776262 are all replies on the same post.

omarag wrote: Forgive me for the undoubtedly simple questions.

But as I read that GOG has ensured FNV and FO3 work without the workarounds/mods/utilities required by many for running on Windows 10 via Steam, does this mean that the game is now more stable and adept at running on multi-core rigs, or does that remain inherently an issue with the engine?

And on areas that generally see lag in the Steam vanilla game etc like The Strip, Freeside etc - is it wishful thinking that this will now be improved (I suspect it won't be!)

Also, does this make modding any easier/more difficult? I'm not a mod freak but there are a dozen or so 'essentials' I couldn't live without. The forthcoming TTW 3.0 is on my hit list for sure.
Ethreon wrote: They're making sure the game functions. I seriously doubt they did anything beyond that.
omarag wrote: Suspected so. Thanks.

Some of the reviews on GOG imply smoother running beyond 'not crashing', and hence my questions.
URM1979 wrote: They have added into exe's (both F3 and FNV) support for >2g address space handling. Nothing more
omarag wrote: Duly noted. So I suppose that does constitute a bit more than merely 'getting them to work on Win10'. Not that the 4GB patch is especially difficult for Steam versions, it nevertheless is nice that GOG removed that extra bit of hassle.

Had I not sweated blood and cried bitter tears trying to get FO3/F:NV to work consistently on my rig with numerous mods, workarounds and utilities, I would have gone straight to GOG.
cian9 wrote: I recall in the boot menu of windows 10, you can toggle multicore or singlecore. Therefore, allowing you to play games that only work with singlecore.

Dunno about this multi-core thing, because as far as I've ever seen it's rumor without proof that anything was ever wrong there. That said, all I can say is that playing through the first 2-3 hours of FO3 on the GoG copy was smooth sailing on Windows 7. No lag, no crashes, nothing. Not even the usual stuttering from days gone by. So they may well have done a bit more than just slapping LAA on the exe, unless that's all the game ever seriously needed.

In response to post #50637042. #50637457, #50641767, #50642032, #50642107, #50661332, #50663927, #50670942, #50684132, #50687542, #50687672, #50688552, #50689297, #50694787, #50697272, #50702562, #50722097, #50736117, #50742857, #50746872 are all replies on the same post.

Maro2107 wrote: Steam is better)
Adeline wrote: i think the same
kcaz25 wrote: drm free though on gog
TerrorFox1234 wrote: Thank you for this incredibly helpful and necessary contribution.
Ethreon wrote: Objectively steam is not better.
Ilrita wrote: Why? Because it has more games? If that's your reason, I disagree entirely. I prefer GOG; reliable, safe, great support, awesome prices and it is a site team that actually appreciates its customers and fans.
Meihyr wrote: > Steam is better)
Well then go and use Steam? If you have no interest in GOG or this giveaway, than don't bother with it.
CaranthirArunwen wrote: Why is Steam better? If you buy a game from GOG and it is marked working with Windows 10, it will work with Windows 10. If you buy games from Steam and they say the game will work with Windows 10...... good luck. Had to fix the Steam games with patches from the net.

So.... GOG is MUCH better.
Sexyowl wrote: Actually I beg to differ. I have had many problems with some GOG games which simply refuse to run. Their support is so bad that I have simply abandoned any hope of me ever playing them. If I see one i like on GOG then I purchase it, but there is a huge risk that it will not work. I have never had that issue with Steam.
mannygt wrote: I love both clients:

GOG
Pros:
- Entirely DRM free
- Download of games can be done via client or via website
- Client is not necessary to run games
- "Connect": some videogames you bought on Steam can be added in your GoG account for free
Cons:
- The catalog does not have so much games but thankfully is growing day by day

STEAM
Pros:
- The catalog is very full of videogames
Cons:
- Games my have third party DRM too such Denuvo
- Client is necessary to download and play videogames
Arthmoor wrote:
Their support is so bad that I have simply abandoned any hope of me ever playing them.

Sounds to me like you got your companies reversed, cause this is what I always hear about people who contact Steam support. In contrast GoG support is legendary for always being helpful and prompt, and usually right on top of whatever is wrong.
StupidDunmer wrote: GOG is alright, but the library of games available will never be as big as Steam. It's fantastic for older games, though. I have Fallout 1 and 2 on there, as well as Battlespire and Redguard (although Redguard runs awfully).
JamesG73 wrote: Just my opinion on this one. As far as I understand with GOG you own the game DRM free, Steam you are only leasing it. I looked into this when I was bored and curious and wondered what would happen to any games I own in Steam if the company were to fold. Still lovin' the fact that GOG have released these for peanuts! :)
Arthmoor wrote:
GOG is alright, but the library of games available will never be as big as Steam.

Give it time. As more publishers wake up and realize DRM isn't protecting their profits the way the DRM companies claimed, they'll come around and GoG's library will only grow.

Also, comparing raw library size isn't really useful since Steam has a hell of a lot of really crappy games that aren't worth the store pages they're on.
J.O.D. wrote: If BSG games were realeased on GOG and not on Steam, I would use it. I don't care about being it GOG or Steam, I care about the game I want to play.
JeniSkunk wrote: @ mannygt
Another pro for GOG:

There are also 6 games, that if you have the physical releases of, or STEAM releases of, you can add them to your GOG account for free.

https://www.gog.com/reclaim

Eador: Genesis
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow Of Chernobyl
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
Mount & Blade: Warband
SirTwist wrote: Steam in not better, it also not worse. Steam has a larger catalogue of games than GoG, but you do need Steam to run said games. With GoG, you do not need Steam. There are pros and cons to both. One con to GoG is that you can't, easily, near as I can tell, you can't verify the game files like you can with Steam. One pro I do like about GoG, is that I don't need a disk, or securom to run my game. Another pro to GoG is that I don't have achievements (which I could really careless about.) An additional pro to GoG is no friends list.
mannygt wrote: @ JeniSkunk:

Correct, but I'm not sure about S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Cernobyl.

I tried that time ago and the CD-KEY didn't worked. Also you can reclaim The Witcher 1 and 2 too.
Dipanjanc33 wrote: thats the main problem i hate about steam that is DRM
Natterforme wrote: I didnt know about the reclaim! I just got my copy of Shadow of Chernobyl again in digital format!!! :3

One con to GoG is that you can't, easily, near as I can tell, you can't verify the game files like you can with Steam.

You can, provided you used Galaxy to install the game. It has a validation function just like Steam does and it works just as well.

FNV (& FO3, I suppose) come with the 4Gb enabled, the multi-core fix in the INI and the GECK preinstalled. There's is an xtra esp named FalloutNewVags_lang.esp installed too (still have to find out what this one is for).

It runs (unmodded) very smoothly on my very old computer (two sessions of 2h30 in a row without crashing).

Although GOG doesn't offer support on older OS (XP, Vista), it is possible to have it running on XP, provided a small manipulation is done on one DLL. (taking a steam_api.dll from any Steam game, renaming it GalaxyWrp.dll and replace the one in the FNV folder by the renamed one.)

This will, of course, make Galaxy unusable.

*Edit* If the game is managed through FOMM there will be a warning message saying: Steam couldn't start automatically. No other consequences.

Edited by Guest

In response to post #50784532.

pixelhate wrote:

FNV (& FO3, I suppose) come with the 4Gb enabled, the multi-core fix in the INI and the GECK preinstalled. There's is an xtra esp named FalloutNewVags_lang.esp installed too (still have to find out what this one is for).

It runs (unmodded) very smoothly on my very old computer (two sessions of 2h30 in a row without crashing).

Although GOG doesn't offer support on older OS (XP, Vista), it is possible to have it running on XP, provided a small manipulation is done on one DLL. (taking a steam_api.dll from any Steam game, renaming it GalaxyWrp.dll and replace the one in the FNV folder by the renamed one.

Just delete it if you don't use the additional languages it provides.

In response to post #50784532.

pixelhate wrote:

Although GOG doesn't offer support on older OS (XP, Vista), it is possible to have it running on XP, provided a small manipulation is done on one DLL. (taking a steam_api.dll from any Steam game, renaming it GalaxyWrp.dll and replace the one in the FNV folder by the renamed one.

Just delete it if you don't use the additional languages it provides.

Good to know, thanks.