We're Hiring: UI Designer/Front End Developer Position

Dark0ne

Update: Thank you to all the applicants and submissions, please note that this position is now filled.

We're looking for a UI Designer/front end developer to join our team at our office in Exeter, UK. The ideal candidate will be multi skilled with experience working with HTML/CSS/JS for both websites and desktop applications.

Your primary short term role will be to help design and shape our new desktop application "Vortex" which is replacing the Nexus Mod Manager. This application uses Electron, so the front end is rendered in HTML/CSS/JS.

In the long term, you'll be the major creative driving force behind the UX and UI of both Vortex and the Nexus Mods website, shaping how both the site and application look for millions of users.

The Role

You'll be joining our established development teams for both the Nexus Mods website and Vortex.

Nexus websites - which currently consists of 5 programmers whose primary responsibility is the Nexus Mods website and everything around it. The stack consists of a mixture of technologies - Linux, Apache, NginX, PHP, MySQL, APC, Redis, Ruby, Rails, Bash, Git, Puppet, Vagrant, Javascript, Jquery, CSS, HTML and everything in between. Your role will be to design the UX/UI for current and new features on our website and create imagery for use throughout the site.

Vortex - which currently consists of 3 programmers who are working on producing an open source desktop application to replace Nexus Mod Manager. The stack for Vortex is currently: Javascript, Typescript, C#, C++, HTML, Node, Electron, React, Redux and Bootstrap. Your role will be to design the UX/UI and layouts for this application and work with the other developers closely on new features.

We work as closely as possible to an agile project management scheme and every team member's input is highly valued - we're looking for people who can constructively discuss and present new ideas in our meetings.

Ultimately, we're looking for people who are keen to learn and flexible in their approach with a strong background in website and/or UI design.

Your Background

• You'll need production experience with HTML/CSS/JS and be comfortable with all related technologies such as the related frameworks for each.
  • Experience of using these technologies to deliver a desktop product would be an advantage, but not essential - a portfolio of web only design/UI would be acceptable.
  • Knowledge of gaming and modding would be very beneficial.

Responsibilities

• Working as part of the Vortex team and taking the lead role in the UI and UX.
  • Working with our web team to design new features and functionality for the Nexus Mods website.
  • Occasionally helping out the community team with imagery for site content.
  • Participating in team meetings, keeping track of your workflow using project management tools.
  • Working with everyone at Nexus Mods to shape the future of our platform.

Requirements and Skills

• HTML
  • CSS
  • Javascript & Javascript Frameworks
  • Strong graphic skills (Photoshop, etc.)
  • Strong communication skills both verbally and written (English)
  • Right to work in the UK

Bonus Skills

• Node.JS
  • Electron
  • React
  • Ruby / Rails / PHP
  • Experience with code testing
  • An understanding of games modding and knowledge of Nexus Mods
  • A sense of humour
  • A love of computer games

Other Information

• We will offer a competitive market-rate salary dependent on your level.
  • We will provide high spec hardware for you to work from in the office.
  • For the right candidates, we may be able to assist with relocation expenses and logistics.
  • Fridays are Chocolate Fridays in the office. Get hyped.
  • You'll want to hone your skills in "Golf with Your Friends" before joining us.

To Apply

In order to apply, please send an email to [email protected] with your CV and why you'd be suitable for this role.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #52402478.

EnaiSiaion wrote: This makes me happy. :)

This skill set is what I'm currently building towards in my real career. So in a few years' time, I could apply for jobs like this. Thank you. <3

Sometimes it is just learning on the job EnaiSiaion it is all part of life :)

In response to post #52403913.

lxndr wrote:

This basically means the release of any sort is postponed. I am right?

No postponements. Our current workflow has shown up a shortfall so we're simply planning for the future.

This isn't possible as a part time remote job, is it? I am currently making my bachelor in CS in Germany and definitely want to finish it before moving to another country. But I love creating nice looking UIs and would be interested to contribute to this remotely in my freetime.

In response to post #52405048.

DarthWayne wrote: This isn't possible as a part time remote job, is it? I am currently making my bachelor in CS in Germany and definitely want to finish it before moving to another country. But I love creating nice looking UIs and would be interested to contribute to this remotely in my freetime.

I'm afraid not. We need someone full time and in the office with us! Edited by Dark0ne

In response to post #52405048. #52405938 is also a reply to the same post.

DarthWayne wrote: This isn't possible as a part time remote job, is it? I am currently making my bachelor in CS in Germany and definitely want to finish it before moving to another country. But I love creating nice looking UIs and would be interested to contribute to this remotely in my freetime.
Dark0ne wrote: I'm afraid not. We need someone full time and in the office with us!

To bad, but I can totally understand you on this. I hope you find someone suitable for the job! Anyway if you still need a UI guy next summer, maybe I will be available full time and in office then.