We're Hiring: UI Designer/Front End Developer Position

Dark0ne

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #52462393. #52469463 is also a reply to the same post.

xybolt wrote: Well, it is too late to change the current used technologies anyways, but that you have chosen to use Electron as a desktop platform may be more efficient from budget's perspective. Still were you guys really aware of the decision made? Electron ships with a chrome VM. So for each electron app that you have on a desktop, you have installed chrome's engine too, despite the fact that you have already a chrome browser. It's not a secret that chrome eats up your resources (especially when managing memory). I certainly don't want this on my PC.

I wished that you have considered to stay at C# like the old NMM (even if that software program is not designed correctly). I have also seen the requirements. Especially the "bonus skills" section. The management has to consider if they're not picking too many technologies. Really, for server side only: Node.js + Rails + PHP. Or is node.js used for some client site tooling? I would really say "Really?" if that's the situation.
Canderis wrote: Electron apps rely heavily on Node in my experience.

Node.js is a component of electron so there is no electron application without node.

For the client technology we've considered many different technologies, not just electron and c#. Electron ended up to be the best trade-off for what we wanted to achieve. We of course considered staying with c# but decided against it, it was not a decision made on a whim.

I don't quite get your argument about: "Why use a the chrome vm when you could use the .net vm bundled with Windows?".
With that very same logic you'd have to ask "Why use chrome when you could use internet explorer bundled with Windows?".

The answer is the same for both questions: Because it's better and worth a couple mb of download.
Well, actually, I'm not going to claim electron is superior to .net in general, but for a UI heavy application at this time it is, in my opinion.

In response to post #52462393. #52469463, #52474393 are all replies on the same post.

xybolt wrote: Well, it is too late to change the current used technologies anyways, but that you have chosen to use Electron as a desktop platform may be more efficient from budget's perspective. Still were you guys really aware of the decision made? Electron ships with a chrome VM. So for each electron app that you have on a desktop, you have installed chrome's engine too, despite the fact that you have already a chrome browser. It's not a secret that chrome eats up your resources (especially when managing memory). I certainly don't want this on my PC.

I wished that you have considered to stay at C# like the old NMM (even if that software program is not designed correctly). I have also seen the requirements. Especially the "bonus skills" section. The management has to consider if they're not picking too many technologies. Really, for server side only: Node.js + Rails + PHP. Or is node.js used for some client site tooling? I would really say "Really?" if that's the situation.
Canderis wrote: Electron apps rely heavily on Node in my experience.
Tannin42 wrote: Node.js is a component of electron so there is no electron application without node.

For the client technology we've considered many different technologies, not just electron and c#. Electron ended up to be the best trade-off for what we wanted to achieve. We of course considered staying with c# but decided against it, it was not a decision made on a whim.

I don't quite get your argument about: "Why use a the chrome vm when you could use the .net vm bundled with Windows?".
With that very same logic you'd have to ask "Why use chrome when you could use internet explorer bundled with Windows?".

The answer is the same for both questions: Because it's better and worth a couple mb of download.
Well, actually, I'm not going to claim electron is superior to .net in general, but for a UI heavy application at this time it is, in my opinion.

What's so wrong about using modern technologies? All the ones listed for Vortex specifically are very active and quickly becoming a standard.

In response to post #52463753. #52466613 is also a reply to the same post.

Biikaru wrote: why did the mod manager even need a new name? "Vortex"? lol

"Nexus Mod Manager" name was fine & besides, it was always in beta anyway.
mytigio wrote: They wanted something that could be expanded beyond just mod management without a mid-stream rebranding.

It's explained in the original post about naming the product.

http://www.nexusmods.com/games/news/13257/?

In response to post #52402478. #52402748 is also a reply to the same post.

EnaiSiaion wrote: This makes me happy. :)

This skill set is what I'm currently building towards in my real career. So in a few years' time, I could apply for jobs like this. Thank you. <3
cardmaster wrote: Sometimes it is just learning on the job EnaiSiaion it is all part of life :)

I wish you well EnaiSiaion, in your endeavours but as a true fan of every mod you create, I still hope you have time to help build worlds. :) Edited by FrostByghte

This is just about half if not totally a dream job. I am a web developer and have done more then whats on your required list. BUTTTT.... I live in the US and have no idea how to start that visa process. I have however sent you an email about the position with a question and my resume as well. Since I'm assuming that's what a cv is.

"cv" = curriculum vitae (Latin: "course of life").

cur·ric·u·lum vi·tae
kəˌrik(y)ələm ˈvēˌtī/
noun
noun: curriculum vitae; plural noun: curricula vitae; plural noun: curricula vitarum; noun: CV; plural noun: CVs

a brief account of a person's education, qualifications, and previous experience, typically sent with a job application.

ré·su·mé
ˈrezəˌmā/
noun
noun: résumé; plural noun: résumés
North American
a brief account of a person’s education, qualifications, and previous experience, typically sent with a job application.
synonyms: curriculum vitae, CV
"give your résumé to the HR department"
a summary.
"I gave him a quick résumé of events"
synonyms: summary, précis, synopsis, abstract, outline, summarization, summation, epitome; More

So yeah, a "resume". :thumbsup: