We're Hiring: UI Designer/Front End Developer Position

Dark0ne

In response to post #52462393. #52469463, #52474393, #52488258, #53088598, #53166238, #53867398 are all replies on the same post.

xybolt wrote: Well, it is too late to change the current used technologies anyways, but that you have chosen to use Electron as a desktop platform may be more efficient from budget's perspective. Still were you guys really aware of the decision made? Electron ships with a chrome VM. So for each electron app that you have on a desktop, you have installed chrome's engine too, despite the fact that you have already a chrome browser. It's not a secret that chrome eats up your resources (especially when managing memory). I certainly don't want this on my PC.

I wished that you have considered to stay at C# like the old NMM (even if that software program is not designed correctly). I have also seen the requirements. Especially the "bonus skills" section. The management has to consider if they're not picking too many technologies. Really, for server side only: Node.js + Rails + PHP. Or is node.js used for some client site tooling? I would really say "Really?" if that's the situation.
Canderis wrote: Electron apps rely heavily on Node in my experience.
Tannin42 wrote: Node.js is a component of electron so there is no electron application without node.

For the client technology we've considered many different technologies, not just electron and c#. Electron ended up to be the best trade-off for what we wanted to achieve. We of course considered staying with c# but decided against it, it was not a decision made on a whim.

I don't quite get your argument about: "Why use a the chrome vm when you could use the .net vm bundled with Windows?".
With that very same logic you'd have to ask "Why use chrome when you could use internet explorer bundled with Windows?".

The answer is the same for both questions: Because it's better and worth a couple mb of download.
Well, actually, I'm not going to claim electron is superior to .net in general, but for a UI heavy application at this time it is, in my opinion.
strike667 wrote: What's so wrong about using modern technologies? All the ones listed for Vortex specifically are very active and quickly becoming a standard.
pacfish wrote: Would the Nexus sponsor citizenship and pay to move the candidate?

Edit: this was meant to be a reply to the telecommute question asked by a CS major in Germany. Not sure why it posted it on this reply.
Kadaja wrote: Guess the team, and new guy they hired can figure that out and you can go start your own application for something?
dragonjet wrote: electron is pretty much being used by many apps you probably didn't know they did

slack, atom, visual studio code, twitch, discord

now you're saying yo won't let another chrome get installed in your system :P

UI heavy application ? Are we still talking about a mod manager ?
No offense, but I'm surprised that a mod manager is considered as UI heavy.

Edited by KitaKonqata

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

When it has to be able to support as many different games, and game engines, and ways of installing and using mods within those games as the Vortex will, then... yes, it becomes very UI heavy. :cool:

In response to post #52462393. #52469463, #52474393, #52488258, #53088598, #53166238, #53867398, #53994653 are all replies on the same post.

xybolt wrote: Well, it is too late to change the current used technologies anyways, but that you have chosen to use Electron as a desktop platform may be more efficient from budget's perspective. Still were you guys really aware of the decision made? Electron ships with a chrome VM. So for each electron app that you have on a desktop, you have installed chrome's engine too, despite the fact that you have already a chrome browser. It's not a secret that chrome eats up your resources (especially when managing memory). I certainly don't want this on my PC.

I wished that you have considered to stay at C# like the old NMM (even if that software program is not designed correctly). I have also seen the requirements. Especially the "bonus skills" section. The management has to consider if they're not picking too many technologies. Really, for server side only: Node.js + Rails + PHP. Or is node.js used for some client site tooling? I would really say "Really?" if that's the situation.
Tannin42 wrote: Node.js is a component of electron so there is no electron application without node.

For the client technology we've considered many different technologies, not just electron and c#. Electron ended up to be the best trade-off for what we wanted to achieve. We of course considered staying with c# but decided against it, it was not a decision made on a whim.

I don't quite get your argument about: "Why use a the chrome vm when you could use the .net vm bundled with Windows?".
With that very same logic you'd have to ask "Why use chrome when you could use internet explorer bundled with Windows?".

The answer is the same for both questions: Because it's better and worth a couple mb of download.
Well, actually, I'm not going to claim electron is superior to .net in general, but for a UI heavy application at this time it is, in my opinion.
strike667 wrote: What's so wrong about using modern technologies? All the ones listed for Vortex specifically are very active and quickly becoming a standard.
pacfish wrote: Would the Nexus sponsor citizenship and pay to move the candidate?

Edit: this was meant to be a reply to the telecommute question asked by a CS major in Germany. Not sure why it posted it on this reply.
Kadaja wrote: Guess the team, and new guy they hired can figure that out and you can go start your own application for something?
dragonjet wrote: electron is pretty much being used by many apps you probably didn't know they did

KitaKonqata wrote: UI heavy application ? Are we still talking about a mod manager ?

Love the new look :)

In response to post #52462393. #52469463, #52474393, #52488258, #53088598, #53166238, #53867398, #53994653, #54124673 are all replies on the same post.

KitaKonqata wrote: UI heavy application ? Are we still talking about a mod manager ?

Deathclawhunt3r307r wrote: Love the new look :)

What new look?

In response to post #53999608.

Thandal wrote:

<snip>

When it has to be able to support as many different games, and game engines, and ways of installing and using mods within those games as the Vortex will, then... yes, it becomes very UI heavy. :cool:

I don't think many understand how many games Vortex must be able to support.

In response to post #54380538.

tajetaje wrote: Y'all have been oddly silent recently, anything much going on (hint hint: Vortex); or is it just us fans being hopeful?

Aside for that lengthy announcement and beta release of the new website.. ?

In response to post #54380538.

tajetaje wrote: Y'all have been oddly silent recently, anything much going on (hint hint: Vortex); or is it just us fans being hopeful?

Aside for that lengthy announcement and beta release of the new website.. ?

No announcements show on this site since August. Where are the things you are referring to posted?