Mod Author Donation System

Dark0ne

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #56780006. #56782196, #56792801, #56793281, #56804631 are all replies on the same post.

KatArus wrote: I ask only for one thing: some analogue of 'this mod was shite' toggle button separate from endorsement so your downloads would not count for it or would if it is eventually fixed. I got into modding myself simply because good half of mods I've tried over the years didn't work as advertised, didn't work at all, or turned out to be half-assed crap I would be ashamed to publish myself.

Apart from that, PLEASE consider Patreon-like functionality for USERS who could buy reward points directly from nexus (VISA/MC preferably) and use them to slowly "fund" promising WIP or further development of feature complete ones monthly. Slower stream of constant support (or ceasing of it) is a much better incentive to work than a few random piles of cash you get out of the blue. It will also help seeing if there is still demand for your work and double as a feedback mechanism NEXUS social mechanisms like discussions and endorsement lack in depth.

Cheers.
Ethreon wrote: Totally cannot see the dislike button being abused. Totally.

That idea existed before, it was hugely abused and since scrapped. You have comments already, that should be enough to signal to anyone that a mod is not up to par.
KatArus wrote: I never said anything about making it visible to the others so.... I totally cannot see 'don't count my download' button being abused - everyone decides for themself. Their system, as is, is basically an autoendorse by downloading. I propose an ability to manually unendorse if expectations were not met. Nexus will be flooded with clickbait one-time jocks similar to Creation Club stuff where it merely qualifies as passable but will be valued as much as effort-heavy stuff. I believe this form of self-regulation will alleviate jocks a good bit. Let ppl decide themselves. Someone will think that an esp containing a single FastTravelSpeedMult = x line is a good mod for immersion if speed is measured to be equal to ingame running speed. Some will not. Such 'unendorsement' is taking effort and is invisible to others, so it will happen only if there are real issues for that particular downloader.
Ethreon wrote: What bearing does it have on someone that wants to press it? None. Whether it can be seen or not will end up in the same spot - abuse by trolls or misinformed users.
KatArus wrote: It seems that you have a personal conflict of interest on this matter. My opinion still stands. You've expressed yours too.

"You have comments already, that should be enough to signal to anyone that a mod is not up to par"
The problem with this is that mod authors are allowed to delete any posts they don't like now, or ban anyone from commenting on their mod. Some mod authors even disable commenting on their mods altogether... Edited by J Allin

It is interesting any alternative to support the modders.

But if you allow me an opinion, would not it be easier for you how youtube put an

advertisement style before download and give 1 or 2 cent of dollar to the modder that upload the file? I think that would be worth more.

Thanks for the effort anyway :)

Cheers

Locaster

Edited by Locaster

You're out of your mind. This is a blatant rip off.

"At the end of the month, the total donation money pool will be converted into its DP equivalent. For example, a total donation money pool of $10,000 is the equivalent of 10,000,000 DP. A script will then sum up the total unique downloads that each file page has received in that month, from mod authors who have opted into this scheme, and divide the total available DP amount by the total unique download amount for that month. For example, if the total donation money pool is $10,000 (which is 10,000,000 DP) and the total unique download count is 5,000,000 then that means each unique download would be worth 2 DP. Ergo, a mod author who receives 25,000 unique downloads that month will receive 50,000 DP, which is the equivalent of $50 to redeem in our redemption storefront."

No money no reason. Just give us a Paypal button. I have no interest in you lot as the middle man. Absolutely outrageous. Where did it go? There was one some time back. It was going to be great. Now it's not.

How stupid do you think people are? Putting out mods for a possible $50 dollar gift card in your Steam gift shop LOL. The slippery wording makes it sound initially good but it's the worst deal I've seen outside a den of Indian con-artists.

Edited by Crankgorilla

In response to post #58488906.

Crankgorilla wrote: You're out of your mind. This is a blatant rip off.

"At the end of the month, the total donation money pool will be converted into its DP equivalent. For example, a total donation money pool of $10,000 is the equivalent of 10,000,000 DP. A script will then sum up the total unique downloads that each file page has received in that month, from mod authors who have opted into this scheme, and divide the total available DP amount by the total unique download amount for that month. For example, if the total donation money pool is $10,000 (which is 10,000,000 DP) and the total unique download count is 5,000,000 then that means each unique download would be worth 2 DP. Ergo, a mod author who receives 25,000 unique downloads that month will receive 50,000 DP, which is the equivalent of $50 to redeem in our redemption storefront."

No money no reason. Just give us a Paypal button. I have no interest in you lot as the middle man. Absolutely outrageous. Where did it go? There was one some time back. It was going to be great. Now it's not.

How stupid do you think people are? Putting out mods for a possible $50 dollar gift card in your Steam gift shop LOL. The slippery wording makes it sound initially good but it's the worst deal I've seen outside a den of Indian con-artists.

So the donate button is in the profile only now? (had to dig to find that answer) Fair enough. Can one reference it in the description? Also, can one link to Patreon or other donation platforms in the description?

Crank, srs?

Mb I am not seeing this the same way as you. What I am seeing is Nexus saying "thx mod authors for giving us a reason to exist. Thx for letting us earn from your work. We would like to give some of that back. And users, here is your chance to get involved too, if you choose to get involved"

Like any new system there will doubtless be teething problems, and tears, but I think it is a step in the right direction.

If you have a better idea, I am sure everyone would love to hear it. Mb we can code loot boxes into our mods?

In response to post #58546516.

Frankfranky wrote:

Crank, srs?

Mb I am not seeing this the same way as you. What I am seeing is Nexus saying "thx mod authors for giving us a reason to exist. Thx for letting us earn from your work. We would like to give some of that back. And users, here is your chance to get involved too, if you choose to get involved"

Like any new system there will doubtless be teething problems, and tears, but I think it is a step in the right direction.

If you have a better idea, I am sure everyone would love to hear it. Mb we can code loot boxes into our mods?

Eww, man, that brings back bad memories of the one chap that pretty much *did*.

Well, ok, not a lootbox... but microtransactions nonetheless.

In response to post #58546516. #58598036 is also a reply to the same post.

Frankfranky wrote:

Crank, srs?

WightMage wrote: Eww, man, that brings back bad memories of the one chap that pretty much *did*.

Well, ok, not a lootbox... but microtransactions nonetheless.

What?? Who did that and how?