• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

Site Bot

Site Bot

Fear me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441,200 posts
Project AtlasIn realtime computer graphics, a texture atlas (also called a sprite sheet) is an image containing a collection of smaller images, usually packed together to reduce the atlas size.
Vanilla Morrowind has objects split into different shapes each using its own unique texture. This is bad for performance and is one of the game's primary FPS bottle

Lysol90

Lysol90

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
This is so brilliant I can't even begin.

I've wanted to do something like this sooo bad, but haven't due to lack of time. Making texture packs for Morrowind is a major PITA because of the thousands of textures for every single mesh. And then we haven't even talked about the performance.

Thank you so much for this.

I haven't downloaded this yet as I am at work atm, but I'll just assume it rocks. Anyway, I'd love to convert my packs to this projects standards. I'll see you on discord I guess.

MelchiorDahrk

MelchiorDahrk

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 2,154 posts
In response to post #65129116.

Spoiler

Hey Lysol90!
Keep in mind this is in alpha and only covers a few sets at the moment. But it hits one of the highest FPS hogs in the game with the Hlaalu set: Balmora! Mileage will vary depending on what your game's bottleneck is, but people have seen +30 FPS in the city with the atlased meshes! So we think it's pretty awesome too. Try out the batch files included in the Velothi and Hlaalu downloads for an easier way to convert your packs to texture atlases.
See you on Discord!

SpaceDevo

SpaceDevo

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
Why was Bethesda so sloppy with these? Did they not yet understand how drawcalls affected performance? Either way, it's strange how so many texture files are identical, unless they used to be different and were changed at the last minute.

MelchiorDahrk

MelchiorDahrk

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 2,154 posts
In response to post #65132121.

Spoiler

It's definitely a mess.

Corsair83

Corsair83

Old hand

• Premium Member
  • 862 posts
In response to post #65129116. #65131551 is also a reply to the same post.

Spoiler

I'm running vanilla land, vanilla plus texture with atlas meshes and shaders - Vivec and Balmora stay a steady 40 FPS. I call this a win for sure!

MelchiorDahrk

MelchiorDahrk

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 2,154 posts
In response to post #65129116. #65131551, #65133256 are all replies on the same post.

Spoiler

Good to hear!

Resident poster

• Account closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
I love this and PRE-ENDORSE it.

DassiD

DassiD

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 261 posts
Great initiative!

ArticusArt

ArticusArt

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
As I understand retextures won't work with it?
For example, if I'd like to retexture some objects and would like to save performance, I should use models from this mod?

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.114 seconds