Limited Vortex alpha release today, full release soon

Dark0ne

In response to post #57657331.

Sesheenku wrote: About Vortex... is this a virtual install only? In other words, do mods never install to the actual Skyrim folder?

I'm highly concerned because I'm a mod user that likes to tweak mods to my taste. This often means installing them and editing/replacing installed files as needed which I don't see being possible with a fully virtual install?

If that's the case then Vortex can never serve me as well as NMM. As I speak my Skyrim contains numerous mods that have to be installed and then customized by moving/replacing/editing files that are installed in the folder.

So what's the deal here?

If you mean that you customize your downloaded mods and create you own custom mods, that is not a problem because I did also create my own custom mods and I added them to my load order in Vortex and everything is running as it should.

Regarding moving mods in your load order, if you download install / enable your mods following a proper load order, I doubt that you would have to move several of them but some and if so, you can drag/drop a mod but it will ask you to implement the rule and this is a great difference between Vortex and NMM.

Thru Vortex, we are not moving records via CK or xEdit to resolve mod conflicts as we had to do it with NMM; in Vortex we are just placing a mod under or above depending which one you want to take precedent or depending ( which it is more important to me ) on what the mod author suggested in his/her description page about load order and compatibility so conflicts are resolved.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #57657331. #57670421 is also a reply to the same post.

Sesheenku wrote: About Vortex... is this a virtual install only? In other words, do mods never install to the actual Skyrim folder?

I'm highly concerned because I'm a mod user that likes to tweak mods to my taste. This often means installing them and editing/replacing installed files as needed which I don't see being possible with a fully virtual install?

If that's the case then Vortex can never serve me as well as NMM. As I speak my Skyrim contains numerous mods that have to be installed and then customized by moving/replacing/editing files that are installed in the folder.

So what's the deal here?

sopmac45 wrote: If you mean that you customize your downloaded mods and create you own custom mods, that is not a problem because I did also create my own custom mods and I added them to my load order in Vortex and everything is running as it should.

Regarding moving mods in your load order, if you download install / enable your mods following a proper load order, I doubt that you would have to move several of them but some and if so, you can drag/drop a mod but it will ask you to implement the rule and this is a great difference between Vortex and NMM.

Thru Vortex, we are not moving records via CK or xEdit to resolve mod conflicts as we had to do it with NMM; in Vortex we are just placing a mod under or above depending which one you want to take precedent or depending ( which it is more important to me ) on what the mod author suggested in his/her description page about load order and compatibility so conflicts are resolved.

"Thru Vortex, we are not moving records via CK or xEdit to resolve mod conflicts as we had to do it with NMM"

Oh man, it's gonna be fun watching people that will believe this to be true.

I see there is a downloads folder and mods folder, so the same files are in two places thus taking up more precious SSD space :)

Do we need to keep the files inside the downloads folder or...?

PS Thank you for Vortex, I love it!

Edited by TheDespicableMind

In response to post #57575051. #57575211, #57577341, #57580321, #57580761, #57588396, #57611521, #57614271, #57636106 are all replies on the same post.

ElkkuEEN wrote: Finally, NMM was so bad anyway...
sopmac45 wrote: Ok, now that you are saying that, can you please point out why it was so bad as you said ? Let us know please !

You are new to Nexus ( only one posts ) and your first is to express that NMM was so bad. Go ahead and let us know please why NMM, in your opinion, was so bad. Waiting.
griskald wrote: I mean, the person joined in 2016, they could just be a lurker.
Rovlad84 wrote: NMM has ancient UI for one thing, though it's still way more user friendly than MO/Bash.
Ethreon wrote: Profile switching is not entirely functional.
Installing and uninstalling mods doesn't always add all the files, ending with users having to manually install and uninstall, defeating one of the main roles of a mod manager
Invariable (for me) the UI mods either don't install at all, or they crash the whole thing. It's even funny when it happens during a download as I can simply say I don't want to close NMM, unlike crashes not happening during a download which just boot me out of NMM.

There's a host of bugs you can easily find on the forums, and not all of them are user error. It needs a replacer, and the devs are the first ones to tell you that. It works, and I use it, but those are very common issues a lot of people seem to face.
DarkDominion wrote: @Ethreon: I always like your comments and I get what you are saying, but
Installing and uninstalling mods doesn't always add all the files, ending with users having to manually install and uninstall, defeating one of the main roles of a mod manager
Invariable (for me) the UI mods either don't install at all, or they crash the whole thing. It's even funny when it happens during a download as I can simply say I don't want to close NMM, unlike crashes not happening during a download which just boot me out of NMM.
This is not broken, it’s just not working for some users for reasons unknown.
I do agree that NMM needs to be replaced because the community wants more out of a mod manager and they want a stable mod manager which will work for all of us, not just some ( give or take a few who can’t read descriptions and are otherwise just plain idiots )
bigd4450 wrote: Strangely though, I have downloaded thousands of mods and never had any of the problems you have mentioned, push a button and it worked. If I had wanted all the bells and whistles I would have gone to MO. I just wanted something that simply worked as advertised and in my case NMM did.
Ethreon wrote: I'm glad it works for you and you think that means the issues doesn't exist.

-- the uninstall issue is spread enough to be more than just user error. If a (basic) feature doesn't work even for part of the software users then said feature is most likely broken to some degree. And it can't really be pinned on user error as it's just a button press.
bigd4450 wrote: Well your right, I can only speak for myself and the countless others that have stated they had no problems with NMM and the old Nexus. And I am sorry that all of the problems of Nexus seemed to have heaped upon you as I've never had any of your stated issues, and I'm one of those people that if something involves pushing more than one button I have to call my grandkids.
Also, using your logic. (sorry, I dont know how you quote someone on here so I will paraphraise.) "if a basic feature doesnt work for even part of the users". If a basic program doesnt work, for even part of the users, it shouldnt be implemented. Just saying.

Well I am sorry bigd4450. I have had problems with NMM like bulk mod install not working and freezing. Other than that it works great. I defiantly feel your pain though. I help some older people who do not understand these type of things a lot. Well I can say if you ever need help I am sure the community would be more than happy to help you. But the good news is they said you can use a simple or complex version of it. Which means you might be able to use it a lot easier than you think. Hope they meet yours needs as well. Hope the best for you.

Haven't posted much on the nexus here, but a couple of things Id like to ask and point out. I'm wondering if this got answered or not (Seen it asked, but not sure if it was answered) will this mod manager be capable of virtual install? One thing I liked with MO or NMM able to install and run mods without them going directly to the Skyrim Directory. Secondly will this new mod manager have better assistance with mod conflicts? (grey face, neck seams, purple textures, bulk downloads, etc.) I use both mod managers and I honestly like NMM UI over MO due to it's easier to tweak your load orders. Bugs I've noticed are the common ones I've seen MO not properly installing files, and NMM freezing and crashing when overloaded with tasks. Wish I was able to take a crack at using this Mod Manager to see how it stands up to processing. I'm just looking for something I don't have to deal with uninstalling and reinstalling my Skyrim over and over when i'm making changes to load order and neither having to load up old LOOT masterlists and changing patches and patch names that end up cluttering my disk space.

In response to post #57575086. #57580346, #57587846 are all replies on the same post.

adamscd123 wrote: While it certainly has its flaws and issues, NMM is not as bad as some people have been making it out to be. However, I am looking forward to a new program for mod management.
Belfaborac wrote: Very much agreed. I've used NMM since it first appeared, with fairly large mod lists, and have had zero *serious* issues.

Whenever someone drops in here crying and ranting like a moron I automatically think "user error".
peteredw wrote: Lol,Belfaborac some people can not read directions for load order. The only time I had an issue with Skyrim was a memory issue, it was nothing to do with my Mods. :)

I agree. I love NMM and can't figure out what problems people are having.

In response to post #57675401.

TheDespicableMind wrote: I see there is a downloads folder and mods folder, so the same files are in two places thus taking up more precious SSD space :)
Do we need to keep the files inside the downloads folder or...?

PS Thank you for Vortex, I love it!

Well, you need the downloaded archive, if you want to reinstall a mod with different install options. The mod folder contains unpacked mod, but only the options you have chosen during install, nothing more.

BTW: I have the download folder on regular HDD, while the mod folder and Fallout 4 are on SSD. Edited by J.O.D.

Aaah thanks so much, finely a replacement for this horrible nmm. Will Vortex at least make use of my pc's power, not like nmm taking ages to install something while cpu never goes above 5% usage? And when i push delete mod, will it actually delete the mod 100% of the time, unlike nmm? And when i only select a mod will it not open name change option half the time? plsssss

In response to post #57943981.

kenta011 wrote: Haven't posted much on the nexus here, but a couple of things Id like to ask and point out. I'm wondering if this got answered or not (Seen it asked, but not sure if it was answered) will this mod manager be capable of virtual install? One thing I liked with MO or NMM able to install and run mods without them going directly to the Skyrim Directory. Secondly will this new mod manager have better assistance with mod conflicts? (grey face, neck seams, purple textures, bulk downloads, etc.) I use both mod managers and I honestly like NMM UI over MO due to it's easier to tweak your load orders. Bugs I've noticed are the common ones I've seen MO not properly installing files, and NMM freezing and crashing when overloaded with tasks. Wish I was able to take a crack at using this Mod Manager to see how it stands up to processing. I'm just looking for something I don't have to deal with uninstalling and reinstalling my Skyrim over and over when i'm making changes to load order and neither having to load up old LOOT masterlists and changing patches and patch names that end up cluttering my disk space.

MO not properly installing files? Is Data set to Top Level and Looks Good?