Vortex Alpha Release

Dark0ne

Oh god, it's so very bad. Just looking at it is a headache. There's animations for no reason on s*** that should be a right-click menu. There's notifications that pop up. It's infuriating. Make it function like Mod Organizer where you have to click on the notifications for them to show. And why the hell is there a "dashboard?" Nothing is right. It's so incredibly bad. And there's no lines or color differences to separate lines of mods. And why is everything separated by tabs? Why can't we just have one window with multiple panes like in Mod Organizer? Who thought this was a good idea? Who thought any of this looked or felt good?

Speaking of terrible design, why is there still no separate "updates" page for the new website? A dropdown menu for 841 updates isn't very useful. And why can't I block updates for images that authors I follow upload?

Edited by Guest

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am using vortex only for fallout4 at the moment just to see how it goes. In a nutshell I love it. The speed of doing anything I normally do has increased at least 100% and I might add here I am just a mod user not a modder but hey maybe I can learn even at my age (60). My only problem at the moment is that I need to download mods manually because there doesn't seem to be a way to just click and let vortex do it. I assume that this is something that will be added later but you have my vote even if this isn't the case. well done and thankyou.

Works okay for simple games. Is a good starter for beginning modders for Skyrim and Fallout 4. But is less usefull for advanced modders of Skyrim and Fallout 4. A lot of community tools just do not work that well currently with it. And these tools for example merge plugins are important to be able to work with.

In response to post #59962506.

laser1 wrote: I am using vortex only for fallout4 at the moment just to see how it goes. In a nutshell I love it. The speed of doing anything I normally do has increased at least 100% and I might add here I am just a mod user not a modder but hey maybe I can learn even at my age (60). My only problem at the moment is that I need to download mods manually because there doesn't seem to be a way to just click and let vortex do it. I assume that this is something that will be added later but you have my vote even if this isn't the case. well done and thankyou.

There is! check Gopher's guides on youtube, he explains how to do tons of stuff included the download from nexus thing.
I'd recommend you watch them, they are very helpful. Hope this helps you out, have fun!

In response to post #59962506. #59974506 is also a reply to the same post.

laser1 wrote: I am using vortex only for fallout4 at the moment just to see how it goes. In a nutshell I love it. The speed of doing anything I normally do has increased at least 100% and I might add here I am just a mod user not a modder but hey maybe I can learn even at my age (60). My only problem at the moment is that I need to download mods manually because there doesn't seem to be a way to just click and let vortex do it. I assume that this is something that will be added later but you have my vote even if this isn't the case. well done and thankyou.
fedeenjoi wrote: There is! check Gopher's guides on youtube, he explains how to do tons of stuff included the download from nexus thing.
I'd recommend you watch them, they are very helpful. Hope this helps you out, have fun!

Thank you for your kind reply. It was such an easy fix. Maybe this old dog just needs new glasses.

Using for SSE and the most recent release of Vortex. Windows 10, 32GB RAM, Radeon RX580 8GB Gaming.

I find the program to be very slow, exceedingly so. I haven't had a program run this slowly in over 20 years. Changing between tabs takes forever. I am constantly getting socket hangups from it frequently. It takes two to three minutes to remove or enable anything. In order to get it to download things, I have to close the program, click the download link on the mod page and then wait. The first one or two will work just fine, then it gets socket hangup after socket hangup and I have to go through the process all over again. When I have to close the program in order to download something else, it creates duplicates of whatever I had downloaded in the last session, but doesn't install them, thankfully. As a note, downloads with NMM took a tiny fraction of the amount of time it takes Vortex.

It uses a lot of memory. I have 32 GB of RAM, so it shouldn't take as much as it does. It takes up to 8% of memory resources. It's also taking up to 16% of my CPU. If I open Wrye Bash to even think about making a bashed patch, Vortex tells me that changes have been made outside the program (before I've done anything) and it loses the esp of the mod. I've disallowed ghosting, so it isn't from that.

I do like that fact that we can enter all the info necessary for the program to link with the mods on the site in a much more effective way than with NMM. However, it often has difficulty with looking up mods and attempting to download updates result in socket hangups.

Edited by ladyaurora

Excited for this software but I have to talk about this comment section it’s fascinating!!!

Wow, I love comment sections. I didn’t even make it past the second page before I had to “weigh in” as it were. I can’t really say if I agree with the comment made last month about a certain way of rewriting the original post to be as what most uses dubbed “PR-y” witch seem to be the storthand way of choosing your word carefully enough to not inadvently offending someone while still atemping to express your opinions. But I really don’t want to dive right into replying as seems to be the way of most people these days, myself included. Rather, want to think about it for more than 10 minuites.

Also for those who don’t like that I am spending all this time on an old comment, not particularly relevant to the oringal post, it’s just an experiment I wanted to try to see if having more time to think on comments was good or not. As far as the Alpha release I really, really excited!

In response to post #59954856.

TheInquizitor wrote: Oh god, it's so very bad. Just looking at it is a headache. There's animations for no reason on s*** that should be a right-click menu. There's notifications that pop up. It's infuriating. Make it function like Mod Organizer where you have to click on the notifications for them to show. And why the hell is there a "dashboard?" Nothing is right. It's so incredibly bad. And there's no lines or color differences to separate lines of mods. And why is everything separated by tabs? Why can't we just have one window with multiple panes like in Mod Organizer? Who thought this was a good idea? Who thought any of this looked or felt good?

Speaking of terrible design, why is there still no separate "updates" page for the new website? A dropdown menu for 841 updates isn't very useful. And why can't I block updates for images that authors I follow upload?

Winge, winge, winge.

Well Well well, It seams over all it is about 50/50 for those who like or don't VORTEX. personally I like it. Just for the Fact that it really helps with the load order WAY Better than Loot or NNM. I like to call out for cycle-lit redundancy and the Master to dependency. These are all things I have had problem with in the past.

The 2 issue I have with Vortex is the view. I would like to control the size of the window with in each screen So things fit better.

And I am still having problems launching my games thru VORTEX. All and All I LIKE IT. Keep up the good work.

As to the slowness of the program. I really don't see it. And for those that complain about it and are on WINDOWS 10, your issue is not Vortex it is CORTANA!!!!! This Windows 10 program tries to in-bead itself into every program you have installed. When I ran Win10, Cortana use almost 48% of the MEM resources. Oh and good luck trying to shut cortana down. It is in over 120 locations with in the registry. And if you miss just 1 when ever you do an update it will reinstall. :( :P.

In response to post #60256451.

MyridonT wrote: Well Well well, It seams over all it is about 50/50 for those who like or don't VORTEX. personally I like it. Just for the Fact that it really helps with the load order WAY Better than Loot or NNM. I like to call out for cycle-lit redundancy and the Master to dependency. These are all things I have had problem with in the past.
The 2 issue I have with Vortex is the view. I would like to control the size of the window with in each screen So things fit better.
And I am still having problems launching my games thru VORTEX. All and All I LIKE IT. Keep up the good work.

As to the slowness of the program. I really don't see it. And for those that complain about it and are on WINDOWS 10, your issue is not Vortex it is CORTANA!!!!! This Windows 10 program tries to in-bead itself into every program you have installed. When I ran Win10, Cortana use almost 48% of the MEM resources. Oh and good luck trying to shut cortana down. It is in over 120 locations with in the registry. And if you miss just 1 when ever you do an update it will reinstall. :( :P.

In regard to Vortex, I share your enthusiasm for it. I've been using Vortex for about a month and a half and have not encountered any serious problems. For me, its most attractive feature is how Vortex manages mod dependencies. Also, I find the program to be fast and responsive, especially in switching from one game profile to another.

In regard to Cortana in Windows 10 Pro, you can permanently disable Cortana in the Local Group Policy Editor. This, of course, does not uninstall the program, but it does prevent Cortana from hogging resources and butting in on your computer activities. Once it's been permanently disabled, it will not be re-enabled even when there are feature updates. As for Windows 10 Home, the same thing can be accomplished through a registry edit. However, this is a dangerous undertaking if you don't know what you're doing. Edited by Augusta Calidia