Vortex Alpha Release

Dark0ne

Ok installed Alpha and this program does exactly what NMM does, tries to highjack my mods and force update them... good thing I always make backup plugin list and add stuff manually, because it tries to connect my current mods to nexus and cleared my pluginlist while doing so, it then does'nt find my current version since I freeze update of fallout4 as I dont want to change version nor update and break mods until that version is tested and other mods are updated with it, WHY cant a mod manager just read my list and THEN let me choose to continue adding mod from there and just read my current esp into the list and what order I have it in. I dont want autosort because that is'nt tested and perfected enough as I have in my list, I dont want to link or connect my current mods while the site might no longer have that mod version and want me to update.

Since this mod manager probably with have an update issue as NMM had with reloading list it will be more annoying work than just keep sorting things manually, I will not use this, maybe on a fresh install but that will not add this to my current modded fallout 4.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #59954856. #60237321, #60261261, #60313006, #61121552 are all replies on the same post.

TheInquizitor wrote: Oh god, it's so very bad. Just looking at it is a headache. There's animations for no reason on s*** that should be a right-click menu. There's notifications that pop up. It's infuriating. Make it function like Mod Organizer where you have to click on the notifications for them to show. And why the hell is there a "dashboard?" Nothing is right. It's so incredibly bad. And there's no lines or color differences to separate lines of mods. And why is everything separated by tabs? Why can't we just have one window with multiple panes like in Mod Organizer? Who thought this was a good idea? Who thought any of this looked or felt good?

Speaking of terrible design, why is there still no separate "updates" page for the new website? A dropdown menu for 841 updates isn't very useful. And why can't I block updates for images that authors I follow upload?
Purgey wrote: Winge, winge, winge.
anvilton wrote: Didn't care for it either. I certainly do not like the steam client interface and Vortex is trying to be just like it, not good for me. There is far to much crap in the way. Sure I suppose most of it can be disabled, or at least hidden. But really, all I want a mod manager to do is manage mods. The rest of the stuff in Vortex is useless fluff AFAIAC. Frankly I sorely miss Tannin on Mod Organizer. Can't fault him though, money is money. The last thing I want is a steam-a-fied mod organizer.
redravens13 wrote: NMM was good, it worked. Vortex killed all my mods and corrupted my saved games. Vortex just does not work and the interface is terrible!
Minecraften wrote: RedRaven, Look up the dictionary definition of "Alpha" ITS SOFTWARE IN ALPHA FORM YOU DUMMKOMPH!!

His critique may be over the top but he still got valid points which should be addressed in future updates.

Honestly I had high hopes for this mod manager but alas its one of the worse mod managers out there, not to be rude but its true even if Nexus mod manager had its problems it was still better than vortex plain and simple is just better sometimes and speaking of, Vortex is a great example of this, vortex not only is over complicated and over saturated with unnecessary content such as the hide game feature and url download its kind of unneeded sense you could download it from the site which makes it easier for me and then there's the downloads not only does it mess up some of them vortex also manages to mess up a heavy amount of mods i have downloaded in the past tsk tsk, to conclude we were better off with Nexus mod manager Vortex doesn't make anything better even if it is an alpha its already got too much added to it and even if it has lowered its massive amount of problems the damage is already done by forcing us to us it.

I havn"t had any problems and love it. Its easy and simple. some say it over complicated...…….. no idea how its just as easy as nmm. learn how to do a load order lol. Also if you don't like either just go and download manually. its great and I love it stop complaining its too complicated. learn to mod.

• 2 weeks later...
In response to post #61559542.

mexichan wrote: Honestly I had high hopes for this mod manager but alas its one of the worse mod managers out there, not to be rude but its true even if Nexus mod manager had its problems it was still better than vortex plain and simple is just better sometimes and speaking of, Vortex is a great example of this, vortex not only is over complicated and over saturated with unnecessary content such as the hide game feature and url download its kind of unneeded sense you could download it from the site which makes it easier for me and then there's the downloads not only does it mess up some of them vortex also manages to mess up a heavy amount of mods i have downloaded in the past tsk tsk, to conclude we were better off with Nexus mod manager Vortex doesn't make anything better even if it is an alpha its already got too much added to it and even if it has lowered its massive amount of problems the damage is already done by forcing us to us it.

@mexichan: I switched to Vortex Alpha for Fallout 4 and Fallout NewVegas and didn't have any problems whatsoever. I must admit that I found it better to download the mods from Nexus rather than try to install from file from the NMM directories - but that's a doddle especially if you have unrestricted download speeds from being a Premium Member. I don't like the dashboard front end but that could be because I'm still happy with Windows 7 on a desktop and don't appreciate all the flat screen Windows 10 stuff. The big plus points I get from Vortex are:
1) I have 22GB less on my SSD C;/ Drive for Fallout 4 compared with the same 191 mods installed with NMM.
2) I get easy to deal with notifications when one mod needs to be loaded before or after another rather than all that individual overwrite this file stuff with NMM.
3) I don't have to keep reinstalling mods to modify the load order.
Just my tuppence worth.....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm loving the ease of use that Vortex provides. NMM was a great tool, and MO1 and 2 are awesome, too. Vortex provides me with a simplified functionality of MO2, which I love.

But I've noticed that Vortex often uses an insane amount of memory while it's just sitting idle. Almost 7G of RAM while idle. This won't stop me from using it, but it means I have to shut it down after starting Skyrim.

Just wanted to post that this is happening. I'll keep an eye on it and see if there's something in particular causing this and/or how to recreate the issue for troubleshooting purposes.