Donation Points system now live for mod authors on Nexus Mods

Dark0ne

In response to post #60319021. #60320551, #60321006, #60321391, #60321416 are all replies on the same post.

Corsafire1 wrote: Mod authors who convert a lot of mods like one guy who ported 100+ follower mods to special edition are not working as hard to earn money. Some people will point that out over and over and like a dog never let go their teeth because we are stubborn. I just want to tell you that this is a very dangerous step like opening pandora's box. My intuition tells me this is dangerous, just wanted to let you know. If money gets into the modding community it will create a lot of tension in my opinion. The act of charity will be merged with selfish intentions and this uncertainty might separate us. It's controversial as well. The concept is good but it's unnatural. Donations are good enough in my opinion and it makes it even more special when someone gives his own money to you by kindness. I love the modding community and I fear making this service anything other than altruism would break the magic, the secret sauce. What about meme mods, fake mods, personal saves? I sense upcoming spam.
saurusmaximus wrote: I agree. As much as I love this website, and it's associated community, I fear this will only lead to an increase in low-effort garbage (and there is plenty of that already), rather than encouraging the creation of quality content.
I get rewarding the mod-makers; after all they are the bread and butter of this site, but I believe monetary rewards is the wrong way to go about it.

Hopefully, I'm wrong.
BlahBlahDEEBlahBlah wrote: You both have looked over the conversion rates, points to money, right?
...I feel like maybe not...
UWShocks wrote: I've ported a few mods; I refuse to add them to the Donation System as it seems to be a very scummy thing to do. However, mods I made myself I will add to the new system. Of course, I don't expect to make much, that's why I work for a living.
endgameaddiction wrote: "The act of charity will be merged with selfish intentions and this uncertainty might separate us."

Hate to break it to you but Beth modding has been tainted for a long time now. It's way too deep in the rabbit hole and there is no saving it.

Donations are good enough

Unfortunately the stats we can all gather for those of us who get any tells a vastly different story. Sure, a lot of people SAY that they'd prefer to donate rather than pay outright or contribute to a prize pool, but this inevitably turns out to be all talk.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Nexus thinks that Skyrim SE and SKyrim VR are so much alike, (even though they Require different versions of SKSE), that they insist on clustering them together in the Skyrim SE section of the site (Like they did with Morrowind and Oblivion back in the day, and realized how bad that was), DESPITE how many people have suggested it's not a good idea, and now they've introduced an incentive program to steal mods.

This plan is not good, just wait, but what do I know? The Nexus is going to ignore it's older and experienced users and implement stuff that doesn't work

The Nexus is going to continue going ahead with bad ideas (Website redesign, mixing Skyrim SE with SkyRim VR, and Fallout 4 with Fallout 4 VR) while pretending to ask for User Input, while ignoring 100% of it.

Man, and I thought only Bethesda had bad ideas.

This is just my 2c on this topic but..

I feel there is something missing in this new DP system.. That being mods which are purely ports. Shouldn't there be some sort of royalty % attached which will be transferred to the original mod authors? I know it may just be me speaking, but it seems wrong that the original modders aren't being presented cut for these influx of ported mods (some of them which haven't even been altered from the original).

For good or bad, I have a feeling this system is opening a deluxe sized can 'o worms.

In response to post #60322236.

HadToRegister wrote:

First Nexus thinks that Skyrim SE and SKyrim VR are so much alike, (even though they Require different versions of SKSE), that they insist on clustering them together in the Skyrim SE section of the site (Like they did with Morrowind and Oblivion back in the day, and realized how bad that was), DESPITE how many people have suggested it's not a good idea, and now they've introduced an incentive program to steal mods.

This plan is not good, just wait, but what do I know? The Nexus is going to ignore it's older and experienced users and implement stuff that doesn't work

The Nexus is going to continue going ahead with bad ideas (Website redesign, mixing Skyrim SE with SkyRim VR, and Fallout 4 with Fallout 4 VR) while pretending to ask for User Input, while ignoring 100% of it.

now they've introduced an incentive program to steal mods

I think you're being overly dramatic about it. If a wave of mod thefts happens, a wave of banned users will follow shortly after. This ain't the Steam Workshop where we have to fight to stop this sort of thing from happening.

In response to post #60308196. #60308756, #60309801 are all replies on the same post.

Vanguardascendant wrote: Awesome. Worth the wait. Quick question that I couldn't find an answer for on the FAQ. Is it possible for mod users to donate $ directly to the pool? Or would we have to sign up for premium memberships, knowing that a portion of our membership dues will go to the pool?

Thanks.
Pickysaurus wrote: We'll be looking into this kind of thing as the system develops :)
Vanguardascendant wrote: Thanks for the info.

+1 on this idea!

In response to post #60322236. #60322816 is also a reply to the same post.

HadToRegister wrote:

Arthmoor wrote:
now they've introduced an incentive program to steal mods

I think you're being overly dramatic about it. If a wave of mod thefts happens, a wave of banned users will follow shortly after. This ain't the Steam Workshop where we have to fight to stop this sort of thing from happening.

OK, I'll give you that.
I need to draw it in a bit anyway, I'm dealing with a family death and personal issues, and I'm letting it bleed over into the internet.
My apologies to all for falling for the "Cable News" type hysteria Edited by HadToRegister

In response to post #60308196. #60308756, #60309801, #60323016 are all replies on the same post.

Vanguardascendant wrote: Awesome. Worth the wait. Quick question that I couldn't find an answer for on the FAQ. Is it possible for mod users to donate $ directly to the pool? Or would we have to sign up for premium memberships, knowing that a portion of our membership dues will go to the pool?

Thanks.
Pickysaurus wrote: We'll be looking into this kind of thing as the system develops :)
Vanguardascendant wrote: Thanks for the info.
Jebbalon wrote: +1 on this idea!

This is a good idea

So the onus is on mod authors (or in my case, former mod author) who have generously allowed their work to be used in other mods, to search the site to find out which ones have opted into the DP system and then report the mods making money from our work.

I wish I never gave open permission for my work with the caveats of credit given and no money made because the one time I had to report another modder for using my assets without credit, I was ignored repeatedly by Nexus staff and specifically your community manager. The whole ordeal was a nightmare for me and I ended up taking my mods off the Nexus because of it. Obviously 300 000 downloads is chump change to you guys.

And NOW I have to go looking for more modders making money off my art work and go through the whole stressful and ineffectual process again?

Will we even be able to see if a mod author has opted the mod into the DP system or will it be up to us to contact every author? Because that worked out so well for me last time... Jesus.

Edited by mrjack900

In response to post #60323101.

mrjack900 wrote: So the onus is on mod authors (or in my case, former mod author) who have generously allowed their work to be used in other mods, to search the site to find out which ones have opted into the DP system and then report the mods making money from our work.

I wish I never gave open permission for my work with the caveats of credit given and no money made because the one time I had to report another modder for using my assets without credit, I was ignored repeatedly by Nexus staff and specifically your community manager. The whole ordeal was a nightmare for me and I ended up taking my mods off the Nexus because of it. Obviously 300 000 downloads is chump change to you guys.

And NOW I have to go looking for more modders making money off my art work and go through the whole stressful and ineffectual process again?

Will we even be able to see if a mod author has opted the mod into the DP system or will it be up to us to contact every author? Because that worked out so well for me last time... Jesus.

I think I have found a better solution than deleting my mods. A year ago I've started developing (and switching my mods) under this license:

You are free to include this work, modified or not, in your work as long as you offer others the same freedom by including this paragraph in your work’s license without any modifications or restrictions.

That means anyone can use my mod to profit, but they'll also need to allow everyone else the same freedom. This will keep all gold diggers away because gold diggers don't want to allow anyone else access to their gold ;)

On the other hand, I have no problem with the Nexus giving money to some authors, especially those who are in really dire financial straights. Edited by axonis

In response to post #60323101. #60323591 is also a reply to the same post.

mrjack900 wrote: So the onus is on mod authors (or in my case, former mod author) who have generously allowed their work to be used in other mods, to search the site to find out which ones have opted into the DP system and then report the mods making money from our work.

axonis wrote: I think I have found a better solution than deleting my mods. A year ago I've started developing (and switching my mods) under this license:

You are free to include this work, modified or not, in your work as long as you offer others the same freedom by including this paragraph in your work’s license without any modifications or restrictions.

That means anyone can use my mod to profit, but they'll also need to allow everyone else the same freedom. This will keep all gold diggers away because gold diggers don't want to allow anyone else access to their gold ;)

On the other hand, I have no problem with the Nexus giving money to some authors, especially those who are in really dire financial straights.

Hopefully Nexus realizes that they may need to introduce a percentage split option for mods that make use of other mods.

Besides if you yourself don't want to earn money, you can choose instead to donate the DP to three charities that are listed on the store page.