Donation Points system now live for mod authors on Nexus Mods

Dark0ne

In response to post #60326631.

Treacleman wrote: Is there any possibility of adding a stat so that I can see how many unique downloads a mod has had this month, and how many total unique downloads all the mods in the donation system have had this month? Just so we can have a way of estimating what sort of numbers we can expect? :)

At the end of each month a report will be generated that will show you how many unique downloads your files received that month as well as the total number of unique downloads included in the pool across all files opted-in. From that, it will show you how many DP your files have generated/received.

Right now such figures would be pretty useless as mod authors are still opting their files in, so it would change all the time.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #60325966. #60326041, #60326946 are all replies on the same post.

steve40 wrote: Question for Dark0ne: if we choose to share DPs with someone else, will they be able to see in their wallet who shared them?
Pickysaurus wrote: Yes, on the page where you share DP, you can click the link above your mods that will show you any DP that's being shared with you.
ruddy88 wrote: Will you see the actual listed percentage you are getting? or just a total amount?
As mentioned in another comment, if I agree for someont to port a mod with the condition that I get 50% of DP, I would want to be able to confirm that I am not getting ripped off from someone only sharing 30%. If that makes sense.

I found the link, and can see someone is already sharing some DP with me.
ruddy88, I can see the percentage they are sharing.

Having Reread this, this post is rather long-winded. Apologies if there is any grammatical or send tax errors as I sm using Google mic to pick up my sentencing through phone.

Forenote: These are just some random inputs on so please take it with a grain of salt. However if they do sound of useful/plausible please discuss they just might be the thing that's needed to regulate something of this nature.

@picky..: perhaps.

Though,this got me thinking about several things. First, how would established caretaker account be managed now that DP currency has been implemented?

Further or second of all, now with currency being involved with mods here on nmm, there ought to be an query page of some sort. That being when uploading a file a popup or a page will be asking requesting what type of file is being uploaded.

example, should I click upload file, it will bring up a page asking which kind of upload am I putting up. Categories could be like Ports, group collaboration, original content. so, if I was to upload a port it will refer me to a different upload page. And if I was to upload a group or collaboration it will again refer me to another upload page. And lastly if I was to select the original content it will refer me to our current upload page.

In theory these different categories would help assist facilitating the royalties and or divvying the currencies between related parties. for example, the group collaboration page would first be established hidden when uploaded, and related parties would be sent invitation/terms via system side pm/ alert. And only when all parties have agreed with the system sent pm/ alert will the page be unhidden and mod be able opened for download. To prevent any Unwanted clogging of the mod database as well as possible backlog and promote the communication, include a system enforced deadline of two weeks to a month where if the terms does not get settled it will automatically be deleted. and to prevent this system from being abused, include a system enforced restriction on the amount of collaboration based mods from being uploaded within a said time span like say two weeks to a month.

as for Port based mods, there will be two possible options to choose from. One where there is an established mod author(s) option where are you with cite the mod author(s) and proof and one where contact is not possible due to reasons known or unknown.

this is where a system run account would be necessary. This account will function similarly as a bank would. That is to say this account would be used to store the royalties that will be divvied to the mod author(s) and or if left unclaimed for a set amount of time, let's say 2 weeks before Christmas, will donate a percentage of the total unclaimed royalties to charity. The important points of this account is that along with storing the divvying of currency, all mods opting for currency would be issued a tax rate for example sake let's say 15% which would be transferred into this account. For who the tax is applied to will be dependent on which type of option is selected. That is to say if it's collaboration, the 15% tax will be split between all related party. If it is a port or original based upload it will be carried by the file uploader.

But back on point. if it is a Port based mod it would be ethical to give a 20-50% royalty going to the mod author(s). with the mod author being given the power to decide the royalty percentage perhaps somewhere within the manage mod section. The remaining will go to the Porter. For the option where contact is not possible, the royalty will be 35% leaving the porter 50% currency after tax. this gives mod authors that have adequate proof who went off grid the chance to claim unclaimed and Future royalties should contact is re-establish.

now making this all possible would be difficult to say pleased as it would require some major site overhaul. However it may prove more beneficial in the long run as this would require much less oversight and possible problems revolving around legal and term issues as it is more or less automated and pushed onto the related parties involved as opposed to staff.

PS if it's possible can we make up a better currency name than DP? It sounds questionable when said / read out loud har har. May I suggest the name NC for nexus currency/coin?

PSS the logic for having taxes is so that the system side bank account does not run out of currency for divvying purposes especially so when factoring the proposed royalty distribution objective it is tasked to do. sadly, it's a necessary evil, however the % yearly charity makes it a interesting money sink and gives us knowledge that atleast the accumulated currency is being invested.

Edited by 3aq

Apologies for the double post, however it is short of tedious for me to edit such a long post through my cell phone. but to follow up on the previous post, there can also be an inclusion for mod uploads that uses other authors files so it'll be pretty much be a derivative of the port based option mentioned earlier.

There seems to be a bug with setting Permissions to earn donation points in the mod Permissions page - it defaults to "you have permission" if no option is ticked, however, no matter what option I select (yes, no, ask first), the permission changes to "you do not have permission". Also, this section appears greyed out compared with the other permissions options:

Capture.png

Result:

Capture1.png

Awesome move by Nexus and seems to be nicely implemented. I'm astonished how professional this platform has become over the years and apparently your strategy bore enough fruit to be able to have modders share in the proceeds. That's great! Also applauding the charity options. Curious how it will pan out in practice.

In response to post #60328346.

steve40 wrote:

There seems to be a bug with setting Permissions to earn donation points in the mod Permissions page - it defaults to "you have permission" if no option is ticked, however, no matter what option I select (yes, no, ask first), the permission changes to "you do not have permission". Also, this section appears greyed out compared with the other permissions options:

Capture.png

Result:

Capture1.png

Hey Steve. When selecting any of the "Yes" options in the assets permissions section, the DP permissions should become selectable. If this is not the case for you, please let us know. Thanks! Edited by SirSalami

In response to post #60323101. #60323591, #60323716, #60325346 are all replies on the same post.

mrjack900 wrote: So the onus is on mod authors (or in my case, former mod author) who have generously allowed their work to be used in other mods, to search the site to find out which ones have opted into the DP system and then report the mods making money from our work.

I wish I never gave open permission for my work with the caveats of credit given and no money made because the one time I had to report another modder for using my assets without credit, I was ignored repeatedly by Nexus staff and specifically your community manager. The whole ordeal was a nightmare for me and I ended up taking my mods off the Nexus because of it. Obviously 300 000 downloads is chump change to you guys.

And NOW I have to go looking for more modders making money off my art work and go through the whole stressful and ineffectual process again?

Will we even be able to see if a mod author has opted the mod into the DP system or will it be up to us to contact every author? Because that worked out so well for me last time... Jesus.
axonis wrote: I think I have found a better solution than deleting my mods. A year ago I've started developing (and switching my mods) under this license:

You are free to include this work, modified or not, in your work as long as you offer others the same freedom by including this paragraph in your work’s license without any modifications or restrictions.

That means anyone can use my mod to profit, but they'll also need to allow everyone else the same freedom. This will keep all gold diggers away because gold diggers don't want to allow anyone else access to their gold ;)

On the other hand, I have no problem with the Nexus giving money to some authors, especially those who are in really dire financial straights.
Lordkabal26 wrote: Hopefully Nexus realizes that they may need to introduce a percentage split option for mods that make use of other mods.

Besides if you yourself don't want to earn money, you can choose instead to donate the DP to three charities that are listed on the store page.
Zaldiir wrote: Such a split option is already present.

@mrjack900. I'm unsure why you feel this way as there was discussion and administration based on our previous conversation. I'll be PMing you soon in case you wish to discuss. Thanks.

Hello everyone,

I like this idea a lot and it makes me want to contribute on a monthly basis. As of right now, I am a lifetime premium member and the only option to donate seems to be picking a monthly premium subscription.

Will my lifetime subscription continue being active if I decide to cancel the monthly payment later down the line?

Apologies if this has already been asked.

Hello everyone,

I like this idea a lot and it makes me want to contribute on a monthly basis. As of right now, I am a lifetime premium member and the only option to donate seems to be picking a monthly premium subscription.

Will my lifetime subscription continue being active if I decide to cancel the monthly payment later down the line?

Apologies if this has already been asked.

Another way you may want to consider donating is gifting premium to your favourite mod authors?