Donation Points system now live for mod authors on Nexus Mods

Dark0ne

In response to post #60328346.

steve40 wrote:

There seems to be a bug with setting Permissions to earn donation points in the mod Permissions page - it defaults to "you have permission" if no option is ticked, however, no matter what option I select (yes, no, ask first), the permission changes to "you do not have permission". Also, this section appears greyed out compared with the other permissions options:

Capture.png

Result:

Capture1.png

Hey Steve. When selecting any of the "Yes" options in the assets permissions section, the DP permissions should become selectable. If this is not the case for you, please let us know. Thanks!

Ah, I see. It's a little confusing, as I want to set the asset use permissions to "ask first", and likewise for earning DP, but the way it's implemented I have to leave the DP option as "not allowed".

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if there shouldn't be a small section on the description page, saying that the mod is part of the donation system and that points are dstributed to modder A: 80% modder B 20% etc. This would let users know that the mod is part of the system, and also make it easy for users and modders to see that the author is playing fair. What we want to avoid is modders becoming paranoid and over-protective and transparancy is one way of combatting that.

In response to post #60323101. #60323591, #60323716, #60325346, #60329741 are all replies on the same post.

mrjack900 wrote: So the onus is on mod authors (or in my case, former mod author) who have generously allowed their work to be used in other mods, to search the site to find out which ones have opted into the DP system and then report the mods making money from our work.

I wish I never gave open permission for my work with the caveats of credit given and no money made because the one time I had to report another modder for using my assets without credit, I was ignored repeatedly by Nexus staff and specifically your community manager. The whole ordeal was a nightmare for me and I ended up taking my mods off the Nexus because of it. Obviously 300 000 downloads is chump change to you guys.

And NOW I have to go looking for more modders making money off my art work and go through the whole stressful and ineffectual process again?

Will we even be able to see if a mod author has opted the mod into the DP system or will it be up to us to contact every author? Because that worked out so well for me last time... Jesus.
axonis wrote: I think I have found a better solution than deleting my mods. A year ago I've started developing (and switching my mods) under this license:

You are free to include this work, modified or not, in your work as long as you offer others the same freedom by including this paragraph in your work’s license without any modifications or restrictions.

That means anyone can use my mod to profit, but they'll also need to allow everyone else the same freedom. This will keep all gold diggers away because gold diggers don't want to allow anyone else access to their gold ;)

On the other hand, I have no problem with the Nexus giving money to some authors, especially those who are in really dire financial straights.
Lordkabal26 wrote: Hopefully Nexus realizes that they may need to introduce a percentage split option for mods that make use of other mods.

Besides if you yourself don't want to earn money, you can choose instead to donate the DP to three charities that are listed on the store page.
Zaldiir wrote: Such a split option is already present.
SirSalami wrote: @mrjack900. I'm unsure why you feel this way as there was discussion and administration based on our previous conversation. I'll be PMing you soon in case you wish to discuss. Thanks.

So how's that tumblr page and the 21 likes working for you?
I prefer an open & free, dedicated platform like the Nexus where I get to download tons of mods for free and get a ton of exposure on my own which I mainly upload to contribute to the community, while not worrying too much about missing out on appropriate "credit" here and there or a couple of cents lost through 'stolen' DP. Edited by dikr

I have a question: How do we divvy the points fairly amongst the creators whose assets we have utilized? Is there some sort of ratio of how many points are deemed proper for a mod author to request in return for some of their creations being used?

Example: A mod focused on new settlements with lively NPCs with active schedules and dialog might use some custom hair and eyes from a great many creators.

How does this work if, say, Hair Modder #1 requests 20 dp, Hair Modder #2 only wants 5 dp and Hair Modder #3 says they don't care for any points at all. And that's not even touching on the custom eye creators.

What happens if you think that Hair Modder #1 is being a bit exorbitant? Do you go to Hair Modder #1 and attempt to get them to lower their point price, in short, resort to haggling? And if you wish to be fair to Hair Modders #2 and #3, what then?

If such a scenario would take place, it would seem like the joy of mod creation is going to be sucked dry by all the back-and-forth between various mod authors trying to ensure that everyone gets a fair deal.

I think we need some ground rules on the point system. How much is too much? How much is too little? And what if a mod author thinks that their assets are worth more points than some other creator's whose assets are being used in the exact same manner? Will we need a Nexus court system?

In response to post #60323101. #60323591, #60323716, #60325346, #60329741, #60332106 are all replies on the same post.

mrjack900 wrote: So the onus is on mod authors (or in my case, former mod author) who have generously allowed their work to be used in other mods, to search the site to find out which ones have opted into the DP system and then report the mods making money from our work.

I wish I never gave open permission for my work with the caveats of credit given and no money made because the one time I had to report another modder for using my assets without credit, I was ignored repeatedly by Nexus staff and specifically your community manager. The whole ordeal was a nightmare for me and I ended up taking my mods off the Nexus because of it. Obviously 300 000 downloads is chump change to you guys.

And NOW I have to go looking for more modders making money off my art work and go through the whole stressful and ineffectual process again?

Will we even be able to see if a mod author has opted the mod into the DP system or will it be up to us to contact every author? Because that worked out so well for me last time... Jesus.
axonis wrote: I think I have found a better solution than deleting my mods. A year ago I've started developing (and switching my mods) under this license:

You are free to include this work, modified or not, in your work as long as you offer others the same freedom by including this paragraph in your work’s license without any modifications or restrictions.

That means anyone can use my mod to profit, but they'll also need to allow everyone else the same freedom. This will keep all gold diggers away because gold diggers don't want to allow anyone else access to their gold ;)

On the other hand, I have no problem with the Nexus giving money to some authors, especially those who are in really dire financial straights.
Lordkabal26 wrote: Hopefully Nexus realizes that they may need to introduce a percentage split option for mods that make use of other mods.

Besides if you yourself don't want to earn money, you can choose instead to donate the DP to three charities that are listed on the store page.
Zaldiir wrote: Such a split option is already present.
SirSalami wrote: @mrjack900. I'm unsure why you feel this way as there was discussion and administration based on our previous conversation. I'll be PMing you soon in case you wish to discuss. Thanks.
dikr wrote: So how's that tumblr page and the 21 likes working for you?
I prefer an open & free, dedicated platform like the Nexus where I get to download tons of mods for free and get a ton of exposure on my own which I mainly upload to contribute to the community, while not worrying too much about missing out on appropriate "credit" here and there or a couple of cents lost through 'stolen' DP.

there ain't nobody going to make money from your assets.. or anyone's assets.. there would only be a few people that receive money from this and those that support this DP system have Stockholm syndrome. The Nexus has always been about parlor modders and this donation system is only going to cause more fighting within the community.. But I guess the Nexus believes in divide and conquer so they can keep all the control for themselves and own financial gains. . Edited by Ashes2Asherz

I'm excited to see how this does in the wild in the upcoming months. There will obviously be some obstacles that will need to be addressed, but I'm confident that the Nexus folks will do their best to make this system as fair and user friendly as possible. Are there any precautions the Moderators are taking for this potential influx of submissions?

In response to post #60328346. #60329511 is also a reply to the same post.

steve40 wrote:

There seems to be a bug with setting Permissions to earn donation points in the mod Permissions page - it defaults to "you have permission" if no option is ticked, however, no matter what option I select (yes, no, ask first), the permission changes to "you do not have permission". Also, this section appears greyed out compared with the other permissions options:

Capture.png

Result:

Capture1.png

SirSalami wrote: Hey Steve. When selecting any of the "Yes" options in the assets permissions section, the DP permissions should become selectable. If this is not the case for you, please let us know. Thanks!

I think this option needs to be available regardless of other permissions since they're all defaulted to enabled right now and we might only want to change it to "ask first" which is currently impossible without unlocking one of the other options.

I've opted in and look forward to seeing this system in full swing. But I would really still like to see the addition of renaming your account. I've been dying to for years ;( Edited by elderscrolliangamer

In response to post #60329956.

Neckon wrote: Hello everyone,

I like this idea a lot and it makes me want to contribute on a monthly basis. As of right now, I am a lifetime premium member and the only option to donate seems to be picking a monthly premium subscription.
Will my lifetime subscription continue being active if I decide to cancel the monthly payment later down the line?

Apologies if this has already been asked.

you could give premium to your friends