Donation Points system now live for mod authors on Nexus Mods

Dark0ne

It's on a NET10-style system, so you only receive the DP that you earned from 3 months ago. So if you earned 5,000 DP in June, you'll get that DP in your Nexus DP wallet in September.

Edit: But more importantly, it doesn't look like you've signed up any of your mods for the donation points system.

Thanks for the answer, I did not know that I needed to register my mods.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #63121036.

newman55 wrote:

It's on a NET10-style system, so you only receive the DP that you earned from 3 months ago. So if you earned 5,000 DP in June, you'll get that DP in your Nexus DP wallet in September.

Edit: But more importantly, it doesn't look like you've signed up any of your mods for the donation points system.

Thanks for the answer, I did not know that I needed to register my mods.

The last paragraph in the opening post, or rather the links therein, explain in detail what exactly you need to do.

• 3 weeks later...

So I have opted in on a few mods I have uploaded. But for whatever reason I can't add the Wildlife Conservation at all I see an option in the bottom left corner but theres no way to click save on it. Any ideas?

Edit: thought I should add this. When I click save it wont do anything. When I exit it reverts back 100% to me.

Edited by Infamous95

• 3 weeks later...
In response to post #60434912. #60435157, #60439167, #60487932, #60495767, #60568452, #60581147, #63075281 are all replies on the same post.

JinKanzaki wrote: I wonder how many of the people complaining here have spent more than 10 bucks on mod donations in the past 10 years...
User_23213994 wrote: I don't donate and never will. Modding is a hobby and doesn't require money for compensation. Feedback is perfectly fine.
FLipdeezy wrote: Lol no offense but who made you the authority?
User_23213994 wrote: Okay, I'm going outside to the beach and making a sand castle every day. Why? because I like doing it. it's a hobby. If you don't throw cash at me, you are an inconsiderate individual because you can't understand how much effort, hard work and hours I've put into it just so people can look at it.

Pay me. Now.
MPDStudios wrote: Ikr
FLipdeezy wrote: That was incoherent and emotional
User_23213994 wrote: Emotional? I fail to see how it was emotional. Incoherent? No, you fail to see the picture.
piotrmil wrote: >Modding is a hobby and doesn't require money for compensation.

As a very humble mod author, I completely agree.

Neither do individuals like any of you get to decide what, for other people, may be "required", but also having the option to give someone money doesn't somehow make it a requirement.

Mod creators are just like any other creative artist or producer, all of those people complaining that mod creators should not be paid for a hobby is the most ridiculous thing ever. How many people actually do get paid for what starts out as a hobby ! Plenty of people ; in the creative world especially!! The option of donating to modders is there for those that really do appreciate their hard work. quite a number of years ago i created a map and mods for a non bethesda game i spent 6 months on it, i can tell you it was more than a hobby for me ,just becuase i didnt get paid for it doesnt mean it isnt work! in fact for the most part modding can be pretty damn hard work! ;) just wanted to say my bit on this topic.

• 3 weeks later...
In response to post #64250886.

ZMD78 wrote: Mod creators are just like any other creative artist or producer, all of those people complaining that mod creators should not be paid for a hobby is the most ridiculous thing ever. How many people actually do get paid for what starts out as a hobby ! Plenty of people ; in the creative world especially!! The option of donating to modders is there for those that really do appreciate their hard work. quite a number of years ago i created a map and mods for a non bethesda game i spent 6 months on it, i can tell you it was more than a hobby for me ,just becuase i didnt get paid for it doesnt mean it isnt work! in fact for the most part modding can be pretty damn hard work! ;) just wanted to say my bit on this topic.

Yeah, I don't really understand where they're coming from either honestly. personally I've sunk over 830 hours into the creation kit and it's not like playing a game and having fun; these are the same types of tools the developers work with. Far as I see it; it's basically like saying that the development team for the game shouldn't get paid because they're working on a game. Making music, art, and every other creative based outlet one can simple say "It's just a hobby, they shouldn't be allowed to accept money for it." and it just sounds stupid. Edited by Tentain

• 1 month later...

In response to post #60450772.

CaedesAposis wrote:

So this is how modding finally dies and becomes monetized. With thunderous applause from its last bastion of freedom. Shame really.

"User files: 0"

I shouldn't worry too much about that. Nexus will first and foremost be a free platform; free to download a metric ton of awesome user made content and free to share your own mods with others, that is. The donations come from the platform itself rather than directly from users (which few ever opt to do anyway), that's a notable difference compared to say, Creation Club. If anything, it's an added incentive for people to create and share mods and that's never a bad thing. As most of us modders are used to the fact that we don't earn anything with it and do it for fun and contribution anyhow.

Honestly, I could care less about your sand castle that you spent SO much hard work on.. I don't use it, nor do I want it.
However, I sincerely believe in paying someone for their time, especially if I use their product.
Your sand castle.. Moot point and a terrible analogy.
I realize this is a really old post but it was one of the first that I saw in looking into premium membership, and as of yesterday, I've become a supporter!
Edited by Sedality

• 6 months later...
In response to post #60434912. #60435157, #60439167, #60487932, #60495767, #60568452, #60581147, #63075281, #64229301 are all replies on the same post.

JinKanzaki wrote: I wonder how many of the people complaining here have spent more than 10 bucks on mod donations in the past 10 years...
User_23213994 wrote: I don't donate and never will. Modding is a hobby and doesn't require money for compensation. Feedback is perfectly fine.
User_23213994 wrote: Okay, I'm going outside to the beach and making a sand castle every day. Why? because I like doing it. it's a hobby. If you don't throw cash at me, you are an inconsiderate individual because you can't understand how much effort, hard work and hours I've put into it just so people can look at it.

Pay me. Now.
User_23213994 wrote: Emotional? I fail to see how it was emotional. Incoherent? No, you fail to see the picture.

Corrodias wrote: Neither do individuals like any of you get to decide what, for other people, may be "required", but also having the option to give someone money doesn't somehow make it a requirement.

I know this is an old thread but someone has to define the difference between a hobby and releasing mods for other people to use.

If you're fixing up a car as a hobby, you're using your time and money to get new parts and installing them into the car, and making modifications to it. Once you're done, it benefits nobody except you. You have a sweet new ride and you're not going to let just anyone drive it.

Making mods is a hobby too, sure. You're spending your time making modifications to a game, or adding new content to it. But the moment you release it for others to use, it becomes work, and i'll explain why:

When making mods for yourself, you don't have to care about how it's presented and if there's any potential bugs. I've made a scroll enchanting mod for Skyrim that I install every time I play the game, but I never released it because it has a few minor bugs that I personally know how to work around while I play (but could take me weeks of work to research and find fixes for), and the mod requires you to understand the concept of scroll enchanting which for me would require adding these instructions in some form (lore books, loading screen tips, etc). So in the case of this mod, it has 100% been a hobby, and as a result you don't get to play it.

But the moment you decide to release a mod, it adds work to your hobby. You have to fix every bug, worry about compatibility with other mods, make sure people understand it, write descriptions, instructions, changelogs, and take screenshots and make videos to present it well on the mod website.
On top of that, you're signing up to act as life-time customer support by responding to questions and getting requests for changes or fixes, and performing updates to the mod in case the game has an update which breaks your mod. (or people will complain and call you a bad mod creator).

Just today I had a comment on a Garry's Mod map I made 7 years ago, claiming there was a bug. As a result, I had to install the game, launch it, and perform tests until I could determine there was no bug and that it was caused by another addon that the user had installed, and then write a response to the comment explaining why it wasn't a bug and what they could do to troubleshoot.
If I had not done all this, other people would see the comment made by the user, and assume there was a bug and that the author no longer cared.

As a final note, going back to the car hobby example:
The moment you start dedicating your time to fixing someone else's car, it becomes work. Edited by Mornedil

• 4 weeks later...

In response to post #60434912. #60435157, #60439167, #60487932, #60495767, #60568452, #60581147, #63075281, #64229301 are all replies on the same post.

Pay me. Now.

Corrodias wrote: Neither do individuals like any of you get to decide what, for other people, may be "required", but also having the option to give someone money doesn't somehow make it a requirement.

I know this is an old thread but someone has to define the difference between a hobby and releasing mods for other people to use.

If you're fixing up a car as a hobby, you're using your time and money to get new parts and installing them into the car, and making modifications to it. Once you're done, it benefits nobody except you. You have a sweet new ride and you're not going to let just anyone drive it.

Making mods is a hobby too, sure. You're spending your time making modifications to a game, or adding new content to it. But the moment you release it for others to use, it becomes work, and i'll explain why:

When making mods for yourself, you don't have to care about how it's presented and if there's any potential bugs. I've made a scroll enchanting mod for Skyrim that I install every time I play the game, but I never released it because it has a few minor bugs that I personally know how to work around while I play (but could take me weeks of work to research and find fixes for), and the mod requires you to understand the concept of scroll enchanting which for me would require adding these instructions in some form (lore books, loading screen tips, etc). So in the case of this mod, it has 100% been a hobby, and as a result you don't get to play it.

But the moment you decide to release a mod, it adds work to your hobby. You have to fix every bug, worry about compatibility with other mods, make sure people understand it, write descriptions, instructions, changelogs, and take screenshots and make videos to present it well on the mod website.

On top of that, you're signing up to act as life-time customer support by responding to questions and getting requests for changes or fixes, and performing updates to the mod in case the game has an update which breaks your mod. (or people will complain and call you a bad mod creator).

Just today I had a comment on a Garry's Mod map I made 7 years ago, claiming there was a bug. As a result, I had to install the game, launch it, and perform tests until I could determine there was no bug and that it was caused by another addon that the user had installed, and then write a response to the comment explaining why it wasn't a bug and what they could do to troubleshoot.

If I had not done all this, other people would see the comment made by the user, and assume there was a bug and that the author no longer cared.

As a final note, going back to the car hobby example:

The moment you start dedicating your time to fixing someone else's car, it becomes work.

@ Mornedil,

I agree. Just recently I had a comment regarding a 'bug' in one of my mods that is about 8 years old, and the poster remarked that ...'it was unlikely to be 'fixed' as development has ended'. I felt the arm-twist in that false remark so to avoid anyone believing their claim, I now felt obliged to address it. Turned out there was no error at all, but it required me to re-download 3 versions of my mod, install each version and test and view the files in Photoshop to prove this, then reply back with my findings. Took me about an hour or so to do this. No response back....

But I had to do all this, as the accusation was that I had released a broken file and that comment would maybe put people off downloading the mod. Or my 'work' is shoddy. So it is "work" maintaining a mod, and replying to questions often for years on end is work too. A lot of time is spent that you don't want to spend, but feel obliged as you have a little pride in your work, and to fullfil community expectations of you. A lot of mods are better maintained than the games themselves, bugs fixed, questions answered- unlike a lot of the broken releases we all actually paid for. Try and get a developer to fix a bug or reply and you'll know what I mean. So, to ask for a little appreciation for your efforts is not a lot to ask. For those saying they won't donate, hey that's fine, we don't ask for a payment for each download. But it would be great if we could. And it makes it a nice gesture when someone actually takes the time and trouble to send a donation to you. You feel like it was genuinely appreciated- and guess what? It actually encourages you to maybe release another mod when you feel appreciated. If it wasn't for modders, Nexus woudn't exist and nor would your bespoke games. You would be left with the default release, replete with bugs, faults and standard features. Maybe we deserve a little credit, appreciation and *gasp* 'reward'? At least to cover costs like software, electricity etc. Let's be clear- there is a world of difference between being paid to do something, and a donation. We don't demand to be 'paid', but we do appreciate receiving a 'donation'. It's voluntary. Using analogies like 'building sandcastles' insinuates that it's all just a childish pursuit and not to be appreciated. Fair enough, some people are just like that I suppose. But in real life you don't often get strangers walking over and complaining about your sandcastle, asking you to fix it, change it, build it bigger and better, or kicking it apart because they don't like it. Unless it really does have a personal value to them of course...

That said, I am not a fan of the pooled points donation approach at all. I saw no issue with the direct donation via paypal situation, as it felt personal to you, a direct thank-you for your efforts from someone who downloaded your mod and liked it. Why there is now a middle man between you and direct donations and a storefront to negotiate and to spend your tokens in, says more about what modding really means to those who really control it. Is it a hobby to them?

Edited by NMC