Download speed cap increase for Supporters and non-Adblockers

Dark0ne

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would not be using nesuxmods anymore even if that means having no mods in my games, pretty stupid to pay for download speeds to be uncap mean while im already paying for fast internet

It's been this way practically since the site was founded. The only change is an increase in the cap. The cap has always been there.

In response to post #64110961. #64111471, #64111571, #64111716, #64111811, #64111971, #64112271, #64117736, #64118191, #64119421, #64121421, #64124636 are all replies on the same post.

piotrmil wrote: I'm still not satisfied with how you talk about people who use adblockers - these programs are, by definition, blocking something we don't want to see. Something no one wants to see, either because of annoyance or in rare cases danger of letting some alien script run in one's browser. So, we shouldn't be punished at all for using a tool that makes browsing internet better.

That being said, you could have done much worse, so at least there's that.
lyoko1 wrote: But you are viewing this wrongly, this is not punishing the use of adblock, but rewarding the not using of it, as 1MB was the non premium download speed all, now they provide an extra 1MB to make 2MB to people that supports this page either by watching ads, having a premium subscription in the past or purchasing the supporter rank.
people that use adblock still gets the speed that they where always capable off.

Even if you dont want to see a ad, servers are not cheap, and servers the size of nexus are very expensive, they need to pay for it, and it is payed whit the ads, the supporters and the premium, so this is not punishing adblock, this is rewarding the people that helps maintain nexus, is a very very different point of view, if you always have used adblock nothing is going to change for you.
piotrmil wrote: >this is not punishing the use of adblock, but rewarding the not using of it,

One's floor is another person's roof. We could get uncapped transfer as well, but just because we use some piece of software we suddenly can't.
lyoko1 wrote: Is not about you using a piece of software, that is egocentrically point of view, is about rewarding ppl that go a step further to help maintain nexus, if this was reducing bandwith for adblockers to 500KB and keep supporters and ad viewers to 1MB then you would have a point, but it is not, this is leaving the ppl that use adblock the same speed always was avaliable and rewarding the people that HELP maintain the nexus whit a extra 1MB of transfer speed making 2MB.
piotrmil wrote: That's why I said in another post that at least they're not pulling that stuff on us, so they could have gone way worse route. And given how many of us are there, it's not really egocentric at all.

But I do understand your point of view, try understanding ours.
lyoko1 wrote: Yeah but what i mean, is that this is not punishiment whatsoever, i get why use adblock, but this is for people that are okay whitout using it, there are people that really don't care that much about ads, and that are inteligent enought to not fall on ad scams, for those people and for supporters, this is a reward, a thank you, sience those people help to pay the page, and as such they obtain more resources out of it, because those resources cost money.
And for the people who can't or dont want to help, they still obtain what was always avaliable.
So this is not a bad thing, this is a good thing, this is not a punishiment for adblockers but a reward for ad watchers and supporters
piotrmil wrote: >that are inteligent enought to not fall on ad scams,

It's not being about being intelligent or falling for any ad scams. I still vividly remember when I first encountered my properly horrible ad on-line. I just had my PC fixed, I turned on one of the news sites, and then the screen went black. Completely, without any means to recover, no cursor, just black. I had heart in my throat, and then, when I was about to scream, an image of some new brand of car appeared in the middle of my not-so-dead screen via a full-screen flash ad. That day I switched from IE6 to Firefox, and never went back.

So it's about preventing the browser doing something you definitely don't want to, and if you do search a bit, you'll learn they can do much worse than that. If nexus has some ways of preventing such malicious (or just annoying) activities, then it's all and good, but their promise (or their ad providers' promise) is not enough for me, I have to make sure it's on my end as well.
JoseSnake wrote: This is 2018, and ads are constantly hijacked and used as malware. So using an ad-blocker is a no brainer, as much as I would like to support website X or Y, my personal security is not worth the risk.

I won't even mention the privacy concerns involved, as ads tend to tag you with an ID cookie and track you around the web.
BeneathThePlass wrote: You might just consider grabbing the supporter rank, then. I totally get where you're coming from, given how dangerous ads can be these days. I also get where Nexus is coming from. We are, no matter what we do, costing them money as long as we're using the site. If the 1mb speedcap is really a bother, throw a couple bucks at them, and you'll never have ads again, so long as you're logged in.

Otherwise. Eh. Personally, I never even noticed the speed cap. And as nice as having it at 2mb for myself is now, I probably still won't notice it unless I'm downloading something super huge. So. It is what it is?

Edit: Also, I know it's not always as easy at throwing a couple bucks at a site. I'm disabled and have no income, so trust me, I get it. But if you get the chance, it might not be a bad idea.
silencer711 wrote: @piotrmill: Haha I remember ads being pretty bad in the early 2000’s and as far back as the 90’s when they were the most used of all time (IMO). There existed such sloppy code to make those things and you never had an easy [ X ] or fancy maneuver to close out of them at the time.

Back to your main concern — privacy/security risk with using an Adblocker. I would always go with what ensures the security of self and others, so don’t compromise on that.

The target audience for this announcement is Supporters & Premium subscribers. Everyone else —Nothing has changed, business as usual. This was an update for supporters but viewable by the masses. There is no loss or gain for non-subscribers. There is no change for that tier. Treat this as nothing happened to you because just that—nothing happened to you. Business as usual. Your stance on this is on the defensive, but since there was no “deficit of bandwidth” issue before this announcement, there was no “offense” side to unbalance the scales out of your favor. Your argument is contextually-irrelevant.

@lyoko1: I get what you’re saying, however, I’m laughing inside at how you said it: “...this is not punishing the use of Adblock, but rewarding the not using of it...” lmao at how I’m going to take this concept and use it for personal gains (comedically of course) when debating with friends & family :D
ghaladh wrote: I am an adblock user, but after realizing that by using such software I am preventing Nexus to get a little income from my navigation, I decided to whitelist this site. I wouldn't disable adblock on anyone's site, but since I am using Nexus regularly I though it would be nice of me to do so.
Alas, I don't have a credit card so I can't buy Premium membership, otherwise i would.

To be fair, I think that too many people on internet are too self-entitled, demanding the best free services at their conditions, without even taking into consideration the possibility to give some financial support for the expenses that a internet site has to afford. The common mentality is often "why should I pay?" or, even worse, "why should I get less of those who pay?". I am not saying that's your case, OP, yet you are rising a sterile polemic.
piotrmil wrote: @JoseSnake: exactly my point.

@BeneathThePlass: probably not any time soon.

@silencer711: one one hand, you seem to understand where I come from, one the other you think my argument about ads in discussion about ads is irrelevant. Okay.

Absolutely.
I used to get virus infections on the regular before I discovered Adblockers. Since then, I have had none. Adblockers plus a good Antivirus makes for the safest experience overall. If you don't earn enough money because of Adblocking, you need to think of a better model.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
To all of THOSE PEOPLE, which think they are being ripped off somehow due to speeds being variable, it's called a business model. Those that are complaining are the types of people that hold their hands out and think everyone should put something in it for them doing nothing to earn anything. Do you like being able to find the mods that you are looking for? Do you use mods? If you are reading this the answer is YES! Stop waiting for handouts in life and do something to earn what you get. Nexusmods is earning their keep so get off their case or find somewhere else to get your mods! It's really that simple people.

• 2 weeks later...
In response to post #78970558.

bigleague wrote: To all of THOSE PEOPLE, which think they are being ripped off somehow due to speeds being variable, it's called a business model. Those that are complaining are the types of people that hold their hands out and think everyone should put something in it for them doing nothing to earn anything. Do you like being able to find the mods that you are looking for? Do you use mods? If you are reading this the answer is YES! Stop waiting for handouts in life and do something to earn what you get. Nexusmods is earning their keep so get off their case or find somewhere else to get your mods! It's really that simple people.

But 1mbps is just sad. The time it took me to download a mere 1GB file with that 1mbps, I've already downloaded 20+ games 40-50GB with my 1GBps LAN

In response to post #78970558. #79423548 is also a reply to the same post.

bigleague wrote: To all of THOSE PEOPLE, which think they are being ripped off somehow due to speeds being variable, it's called a business model. Those that are complaining are the types of people that hold their hands out and think everyone should put something in it for them doing nothing to earn anything. Do you like being able to find the mods that you are looking for? Do you use mods? If you are reading this the answer is YES! Stop waiting for handouts in life and do something to earn what you get. Nexusmods is earning their keep so get off their case or find somewhere else to get your mods! It's really that simple people.
NekoMeow29 wrote: But 1mbps is just sad. The time it took me to download a mere 1GB file with that 1mbps, I've already downloaded 20+ games 40-50GB with my 1GBps LAN

If they want to make money, then they should not have made it a free service. However, since they intended this website to be a free service, forcing premium ads down your throat is just obnoxious and pathetic. By making it a free service, they are *not entitled* to our money, it's like that twitch streamer who went on a rant about her viewers not donating or subscribing. We are not entitled either to have this for free, but they are giving the service for free, so we have the right to use it. So by making it a free service, they are not entitled to our money and should not try force us to give them our money. Edited by XxElite2015xX

In response to post #78970558. #79423548, #79594153, #79617493 are all replies on the same post.

NekoMeow29 wrote: But 1mbps is just sad. The time it took me to download a mere 1GB file with that 1mbps, I've already downloaded 20+ games 40-50GB with my 1GBps LAN
XxElite2015xX wrote: If they want to make money, then they should not have made it a free service. However, since they intended this website to be a free service, forcing premium ads down your throat is just obnoxious and pathetic. By making it a free service, they are *not entitled* to our money, it's like that twitch streamer who went on a rant about her viewers not donating or subscribing. We are not entitled either to have this for free, but they are giving the service for free, so we have the right to use it. So by making it a free service, they are not entitled to our money and should not try force us to give them our money.
aleaallee wrote: Stfu, it's 2020 and they are limiting the download speed for free users to 2 f*#@ING MEGABYTES PER SECOND, 10 years ago that would be a nice speed but nowadays almost everyone has a insanely larger internet connections. I have a 600mbps internet connection, I shouldn't have to download a mod at 2Mb/s. I think it should be increased to 5Mb/s. I can't even work to pay the premium because of this stupid quarantine.

if u can afford 1gbps lan u can afford the 2.99 premium download speed for a month.

• 1 month later...

I was so close to buying the $50 Lifetime plan, but then they snuck in a $12.50 tax right before I had to type in my credit card details...

Lying about being charged for the network speed is one thing, but saying something is $50, and then trying to sneak in another $12.50 is absurd.

I'll just stick to my 2mb/s download cap, download some mods, then most likely never use this "service" again.