Official Vortex Beta Release

Dark0ne

In early 2017 we set out to develop an entirely new mod manager. It was our intention to create a mod manager that would be a suitable replacement for our ageing Nexus Mod Manager and combine its simplicity with a more powerful set of tools and features designed to make modding as accessible as possible to all types of modders - newcomers and veterans alike.

We gave this project the name Vortex, and our lead developer Tannin has been working on it along with our new Vortex developer Nagev to ensure that Vortex is powerful, easy to use, and accessible to a wide array of modders. If you’d like, you can get a breakdown of Vortex’s key features on our dedicated page.

After more than two years of development which involved an open alpha that started in January 2018, Vortex is now in a state where it is both stable and “feature complete”. That's not to say that we won't be adding plenty of new features to Vortex in the coming years, but the Vortex of today is one that will be a more than able mod management tool for the vast majority of mod users. We are therefore proud to roll out the Vortex beta to you, our community, in the hopes that Vortex will help you organise and fine tune your load orders and modding installations, as it has helped so many users during the alpha phase.

If you have a perfectly functioning load order and stable modded game then we highly recommend you do not move over to Vortex at this time. The main focus of Vortex is on making your game as easy to mod as possible, in the most stable way, with the least amount of effort and if your game is already stable, there's no point making even a small effort to move over. However, for many of you who have been plagued by mod conflicts and issues, or who are starting a new playthrough or who just want to try out something new, Vortex might be a great fit.

If you need help deciding whether Vortex is right for you, you can find out in our help center.

If you have decided for yourself that you want to give Vortex a try, you can download it here. We’ll also be updating anywhere on our website that points to Nexus Mod Manager.

Vortex beta

We’re releasing Vortex as a beta because there are likely to be more pesky bugs we need to squash, however, it’s currently very stable and we’re confident enough in both its abilities and its state to make it the primary mod manager of Nexus Mods.

The beta is not intended to last forever, we have a clear roadmap of where we want to be before we officially hit the 1.0 full release and we’ll be listening to your feedback along the way. It is our utmost and realistic hope that this beta phase will not last any longer than the alpha stage has lasted.

In preparation for this announcement, we’ve been hard at work writing some helpful documentation to explain Vortex’s various features. We chose to put this on the wiki so anyone in the community can add their own articles and advice for using Vortex, and to help us ensure the content is up to date.

If you make tools for modders or have an idea for a great extension for Vortex you can check out our development documentation here.

Nexus Mods API - Coming soon…

The beta release of Vortex is a major milestone in the future of Nexus Mods. With that in mind we have another project we’re working on in the background to announce, the Nexus Mods API.

To offer deeper integration with our website and services we will be opening our new API to the public in the near future. What this means is, 3rd party applications and websites will be able to access data from Nexus Mods in a more robust and modern way than they do currently.

At the moment, Nexus Mod Manager and Mod Organizer (among others) use our older hook to work with the site, but as we continue to bring our code base up to date these applications will need to be updated to use our new API. We won’t cut off support straight away though, we’ll be working with these developers to allow a fair transition period before the old systems are turned off entirely. Of course, older versions of these programs will no longer be able to download directly from Nexus Mods after this time, but they will still work for manual mod installations.

We’ll be bringing you more information on our API closer to the time, so stay tuned!

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds great! It's been a long long while since I used Vortex. I wasn't using Vortex because I couldn't alter how mods overwrite each other when it comes to loose files so arranging the texture mods was a PITA.

Is it possible now to alter the overwriting order of the mods in a easy manner?

Edited by omega2008

With Vortex you are able to resolve file conflicts on an individual level. Whether this meets your definition of easy will depend on you, but our team has done their best to make it as intuitive as possible.

We have also written documentation explaining the process, with a texture replacer as an example: https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Managing_File_Conflicts

I hope that helps to clear things up for you.

Edited by BigBizkit

In response to post #64234221. #64234331 is also a reply to the same post.

Katarsi wrote: So all of us who already have Vortex will have it updated to Beta? Or do we need to install it again?
BigBizkit wrote: The current build (0.16.8) is the beta. If you are up to date, you do not need to reinstall again or anything.

There was no new version released, 0.16.8 is still current, we just felt it was stable enough to be labeled "Beta".

Updates will continue like they did during alpha: when we have a new release it will first be put on the "testing" channel to get a more thorough check then we could do internally and if all is well it will be put on the "stable" channel. Edited by Tannin42

In response to post #64234211. #64234441 is also a reply to the same post.

omega2008 wrote: Sounds great! It's been a long long while since I used Vortex. I wasn't using Vortex because I couldn't alter how mods overwrite each other when it comes to loose files so arranging the texture mods was a PITA.

Is it possible now to alter the overwriting order of the mods in a easy manner?
BigBizkit wrote:

With Vortex you are able to resolve file conflicts on an individual level. Whether this meets your definition of easy will depend on you, but our team has done their best to make it as intuitive as possible.

We have also written documentation explaining the process, with a texture replacer as an example: https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Managing_File_Conflicts

I hope that helps to clear things up for you.

Thank you, I'll check it out.

In response to post #64234221. #64234331, #64234446 are all replies on the same post.

Katarsi wrote: So all of us who already have Vortex will have it updated to Beta? Or do we need to install it again?
BigBizkit wrote: The current build (0.16.8) is the beta. If you are up to date, you do not need to reinstall again or anything.
Tannin42 wrote: There was no new version released, 0.16.8 is still current, we just felt it was stable enough to be labeled "Beta".

Updates will continue like they did during alpha: when we have a new release it will first be put on the "testing" channel to get a more thorough check then we could do internally and if all is well it will be put on the "stable" channel.

Thanks for the prompt reply guys :)
I've only started modding Skyrim SE recently, and the first (and only) mod manager I've ever used for it is Vortex; I downloaded it around a month ago. It's awesome. It's fairly simple to understand its use. There is certainly room for improvements, but nothing has ever been achieved overnight. Keep up the good work!