Official Vortex Beta Release

Dark0ne

My main concern is migrating my MASSIVE Skyrim SE mod installation over to Vortex. If anyone remembers the infamous NMM 0.60+ migration debacle that literally destroyed many a user's modded game install, you'll know what I speak of here. Nearly the entire SOT TEAM (The Way of the Dovahkiin - Sands of Time authors) lost their modded game installs & had to re-install from scratch. Just ask tonycubed2 about said debacle. I'm not about to play Russian roulette with my massive mod install. I will not make the switch until Vortex is proven not to destroy an entire modded game installation. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Edited by ff7legend

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #64312911.

ff7legend wrote: My main concern is migrating my MASSIVE Skyrim SE mod installation over to Vortex. If anyone remembers the infamous NMM 0.60+ migration debacle that literally destroyed many a user's modded game install, you'll know what I speak of here. Nearly the entire SOT TEAM (The Way of the Dovahkiin - Sands of Time authors) lost their modded game installs & had to re-install from scratch. Just ask tonycubed about said debacle. I'm not about to play Russian roulette with my massive mod install. I will not make the switch until Vortex is proven not to destroy an entire modded game installation. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

We even say this in the very news post you're commenting on:

If you have a perfectly functioning load order and stable modded game then we highly recommend you do not move over to Vortex at this time. The main focus of Vortex is on making your game as easy to mod as possible, in the most stable way, with the least amount of effort and if your game is already stable, there's no point making even a small effort to move over. However, for many of you who have been plagued by mod conflicts and issues, or who are starting a new playthrough or who just want to try out something new, Vortex might be a great fit.

The inherent issue is that NMM is so bad and so..random..in its failings that it's nigh on impossible to make an importer that is going to 100% work in every single situation. It works for the vast majority of people, but there are going to be some NMM installations/mod setups out there that are so screwed, no importer would be 100% effective.

Hence why we are telling people to only move if (1) they want to and (2) they have little to lose.

Hey, I love Vortex so far and I am using it since it was out but i was wondering if it would be possible to ad a logo for SKSE Mods (like that logo after a song on spotify if a song it Explict, for example). So that way you could easy know what mod probably is not working if a new Skyrim SE Update is coming out and you could deactivate it until an update is out.

Hey!

I have just at that minute installed Vortex, and i still cant access it to download some mods for my games.

It's just with the logging in part i have nexus mod website open and its logged into my account ready for Vortex to transfer it to the app, But its not doing anything.

Please help!

In response to post #64313716.

ChloeBabe wrote: Hey!
I have just at that minute installed Vortex, and i still cant access it to download some mods for my games.

It's just with the logging in part i have nexus mod website open and its logged into my account ready for Vortex to transfer it to the app, But its not doing anything.

Please help!

You will need to disable your download hooks in NMM first then reapply them in Vortex to take effect.

In response to post #64312911. #64313051 is also a reply to the same post.

ff7legend wrote: My main concern is migrating my MASSIVE Skyrim SE mod installation over to Vortex. If anyone remembers the infamous NMM 0.60+ migration debacle that literally destroyed many a user's modded game install, you'll know what I speak of here. Nearly the entire SOT TEAM (The Way of the Dovahkiin - Sands of Time authors) lost their modded game installs & had to re-install from scratch. Just ask tonycubed2 about said debacle. I'm not about to play Russian roulette with my massive mod install. I will not make the switch until Vortex is proven not to destroy an entire modded game installation. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Dark0ne wrote: We even say this in the very news post you're commenting on:

If you have a perfectly functioning load order and stable modded game then we highly recommend you do not move over to Vortex at this time. The main focus of Vortex is on making your game as easy to mod as possible, in the most stable way, with the least amount of effort and if your game is already stable, there's no point making even a small effort to move over. However, for many of you who have been plagued by mod conflicts and issues, or who are starting a new playthrough or who just want to try out something new, Vortex might be a great fit.

The inherent issue is that NMM is so bad and so..random..in its failings that it's nigh on impossible to make an importer that is going to 100% work in every single situation. It works for the vast majority of people, but there are going to be some NMM installations/mod setups out there that are so screwed, no importer would be 100% effective.

Hence why we are telling people to only move if (1) they want to and (2) they have little to lose.

Yes, I read that but there will likely come a time where the user will be forced to migrate over to Vortex since NMM support will likely be cut at some point. Just like we were forced to migrate over to the new Nexus Mods website format that looks more like a smartphone interface than an actual website. Don't get me wrong - I like the new Nexus Mods layout, though it took quite a bit of getting used to. However, I really wish various websites would stop going for the smartphone-like interface. I don't own a smartphone & can't stand smartphones to be quite honest. Not only do smartphones cost way too much money, but half the features of a smartphone I would never even use. Don't even get me started on those ridiculously expensive data plans/data overage charges/throttled down streaming speeds either. I have no intention of making the switch to Vortex unless I'm forced to do so, which is a likely eventuality at some point. Edited by ff7legend

In response to post #64312911. #64313051, #64318821 are all replies on the same post.

ff7legend wrote: My main concern is migrating my MASSIVE Skyrim SE mod installation over to Vortex. If anyone remembers the infamous NMM 0.60+ migration debacle that literally destroyed many a user's modded game install, you'll know what I speak of here. Nearly the entire SOT TEAM (The Way of the Dovahkiin - Sands of Time authors) lost their modded game installs & had to re-install from scratch. Just ask tonycubed2 about said debacle. I'm not about to play Russian roulette with my massive mod install. I will not make the switch until Vortex is proven not to destroy an entire modded game installation. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

ff7legend wrote: Yes, I read that but there will likely come a time where the user will be forced to migrate over to Vortex since NMM support will likely be cut at some point. Just like we were forced to migrate over to the new Nexus Mods website format that looks more like a smartphone interface than an actual website. Don't get me wrong - I like the new Nexus Mods layout, though it took quite a bit of getting used to. However, I really wish various websites would stop going for the smartphone-like interface. I don't own a smartphone & can't stand smartphones to be quite honest. Not only do smartphones cost way too much money, but half the features of a smartphone I would never even use. Don't even get me started on those ridiculously expensive data plans/data overage charges/throttled down streaming speeds either. I have no intention of making the switch to Vortex unless I'm forced to do so, which is a likely eventuality at some point.

We cut NMM "support" two years ago. We no longer support it! But it is software, and it will continue to work unless a major new Windows OS comes out that breaks it.

There is no way we can force people to stop using NMM. All we can (and will do, at some point in the not too distant future) is turn off the web hooks that NMM uses. That doesn't break NMM or prevent it from performing its main function, which is managing mods, all it prevents is the ability to download automatically from within NMM and see new version updates. Adding new mods to NMM would then require a couple more clicks, downloading mods manually and then using the "Add file" functionality from within NMM.

That is, of course, unless someone updates NMM to work with our new API. In which case, all it will require is users to download an update.

Either way, we can't force people off NMM, even if we want to. Edited by Dark0ne

Okay, I've downloaded the alpha and I will give it a fair roll with SSE and FO4. I'll give it a shot. But after reading all the 'Who is Vortex for?' and 'Why Vortex?' pages, I'm a little trepidatious about this: I'm told that this is for people who play games I'm not interested in, for people who don't want to manage their own load orders, but it's Modern and has Close nexus Integration. Okay, but it's not at all clear what I have to gain here. I'll keep my legacy MO setups for FNV and Skyrim. I already have profiles and close nexus integration, but I see you're planning to take that away.

I sincerely hope it's not so, but after following this for two years, it seems Dark0ne may have erred in requiring a one-size-fits-all solution. Maybe it would have made more sense to fork the development at Bethesda and non-Bethesda. More difficult, yes, but a lot more durable. No offense intended, just an outsider's view. Time will tell and I do hope I'm wrong.

All the best, ff

In response to post #64312911. #64313051, #64318821, #64319546 are all replies on the same post.

ff7legend wrote: Yes, I read that but there will likely come a time where the user will be forced to migrate over to Vortex since NMM support will likely be cut at some point. Just like we were forced to migrate over to the new Nexus Mods website format that looks more like a smartphone interface than an actual website. Don't get me wrong - I like the new Nexus Mods layout, though it took quite a bit of getting used to. However, I really wish various websites would stop going for the smartphone-like interface. I don't own a smartphone & can't stand smartphones to be quite honest. Not only do smartphones cost way too much money, but half the features of a smartphone I would never even use. Don't even get me started on those ridiculously expensive data plans/data overage charges/throttled down streaming speeds either. I have no intention of making the switch to Vortex unless I'm forced to do so, which is a likely eventuality at some point.
Dark0ne wrote: We cut NMM "support" two years ago. We no longer support it! But it is software, and it will continue to work unless a major new Windows OS comes out that breaks it.

There is no way we can force people to stop using NMM. All we can (and will do, at some point in the not too distant future) is turn off the web hooks that NMM uses. That doesn't break NMM or prevent it from performing its main function, which is managing mods, all it prevents is the ability to download automatically from within NMM and see new version updates. Adding new mods to NMM would then require a couple more clicks, downloading mods manually and then using the "Add file" functionality from within NMM.

That is, of course, unless someone updates NMM to work with our new API. In which case, all it will require is users to download an update.

Either way, we can't force people off NMM, even if we want to.

Honestly? Don't even bother migrating. MO2 is far superior than NMM or Vortex, so for Bethesda games, there is very little incentive to use Vortex. For other games - perhaps.