Taking down the GameFront files

Dark0ne

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what exactly is the big deal? tbh if they weren't archived they would of been gone forever you think the authors would of wanted that? Unless people had the mods already installed on the PC and they can back them up for others. It just seems to me GF is trying to get back on its feet by nixing some of newer competition. GF while was a great site died out multiple times can we be sure it wont happen again? IDK if it was a domain issue or what but other modding sites picked up the slack. No one knows where a lot of these modding authors went many did move on just let bygones be bygones.

In response to post #67855866.

RaceRed wrote: So what exactly is the big deal? tbh if they weren't archived they would of been gone forever you think the authors would of wanted that? Unless people had the mods already installed on the PC and they can back them up for others. It just seems to me GF is trying to get back on its feet by nixing some of newer competition. GF while was a great site died out multiple times can we be sure it wont happen again? IDK if it was a domain issue or what but other modding sites picked up the slack. No one knows where a lot of these modding authors went many did move on just let bygones be bygones.

if they weren't archived they would have been gone forever you think the authors would have wanted that?

That's exactly why GF was properly rescued instead of stealing the works of these authors in the name of "archiving".

Don't worry. The files were uploaded at GF by their authors and are now again at GF.

In response to post #67825291.

Asrakorn wrote: I don't download on GameFront because they wont let me, and I'm not sure why, this is a issue that has been happening for many years.
I'll guess it's because I'm from Brazil.

The old GameFront had country blocking, but the new one does not. When did you last try it? If it does not work let me know I'll get it looked into. ;)

After a long time away, I was searching for mods for a game and had two separate search-engine results that link to this site for two separate mods, give me a "hidden file" page with an explanation to the effect of "Game Front is now back therefore we can't let you access the mod because ya know stepping on toes or some such. Are you not entertained?"

I just don't see it. It seems like unnecessary and excessive self-deprecation on the part of Nexus Mods which has been steadfast to the gaming community -- while others, not so much.

Maybe I missed something. Wouldn't be the first time. As I said, been away from this site for awhile. Sigh. Off to GameFront to search for those mods.

Edited by BuzzParsec

In response to post #67714036. #67742636 is also a reply to the same post.

Crypto341 wrote: Well that sucks. I get where gamesfront is coming from but they couldve left them up on the nexus as a backup. Screw the other sites hosting anything since you had a legitimate reason for putting these on nexus. I would've never found mods for Stalker games if they weren't on nexus. I don't know other modding sites aside from GUN and i cant stand them; and now gamesfront i suppose.
axonis wrote:
Screw the other sites hosting anything since you had a legitimate reason for putting these on nexus.

As legitimate as anyone hosting mods without authorization. But in your logic, when the Nexus copies mods without authorization it's "archiving", when others do the same, it's "mod theft".

@axonis I disagree. According to the above write-up, the people who run Gamefront had reached an agreement with the Nexus. Other sites who hosted the files had no such agreement. The Nexus was under no obligation to renegotiate, but did so out of courtesy to their peer.

With that said, this entire issue of redistribution rights for freeware is simply not well addressed in the current body of IP law. There is little real recourse in such a dispute, and I think the Nexus absolutely took the high road in this situation!