Taking down the GameFront files

Dark0ne

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #68600281.

shaggoth wrote: awesome. now we have mods that cannot be find on gamefront, and hidden here. AWESOME

Yeah, I ran into this when I had to reinstall Knights of the Old Republic and couldn't find my favorite mods on Nexus anymore. They're all still here, just "hidden".

Unfortunately I can't find them on the new GameFront site either because the new site is so horribly broken. Search doesn't work in any meaningful way, and browsing categories is a mess. Is the mod I need under Clothing, Skins->Clothing, Graphics->Characters->Clothing, or Graphics->Skins->Characters->Clothing.

It's sad that the modding community has to suffer like this because GameFront doesn't know how to manage their IP.

• 2 weeks later...

In response to post #68600281.

shaggoth wrote: awesome. now we have mods that cannot be find on gamefront, and hidden here. AWESOME

Yeah, I ran into this when I had to reinstall Knights of the Old Republic and couldn't find my favorite mods on Nexus anymore. They're all still here, just "hidden".

Unfortunately I can't find them on the new GameFront site either because the new site is so horribly broken. Search doesn't work in any meaningful way, and browsing categories is a mess. Is the mod I need under Clothing, Skins->Clothing, Graphics->Characters->Clothing, or Graphics->Skins->Characters->Clothing.

It's sad that the modding community has to suffer like this because GameFront doesn't know how to manage their IP.

Again, you could, y'know, contact us directly and let us know the issues you're having so we can fix them.

The site isn't set in stone. We're constantly developing and improving it.

There seems to be a small group of people who like to say we're missing mods but when I do a search for them I find them in five seconds. If you're feeling like stuff is missing then you can let us know and we'll get it fixed.

Sorry but this is just bad. I was trying to look for some maps for CnC Generals and then I see this. Great. So I go to GameFront and find a category which contains all the maps people uploaded. No subcategories, no filters, just nothing except search, but it's useless if you don't look for a specific map. Are you really expecting me to click on every single damn map, load the file's page, and check the description if it mentions the amount of players and hope that it's the amount I'm looking for? The files don't even have preview pictures! Are you serious? Do you expect me to load every single map into the game and see if it's an actually playable one?

In this kind of situation I'll just have to live with not getting some of the gems from the past. THIS is not going to work. And this is only one game backup from old FileFront that I checked.

Edited by Phoenix4646

In response to post #67855866. #67880856 is also a reply to the same post.

RaceRed wrote: So what exactly is the big deal? tbh if they weren't archived they would of been gone forever you think the authors would of wanted that? Unless people had the mods already installed on the PC and they can back them up for others. It just seems to me GF is trying to get back on its feet by nixing some of newer competition. GF while was a great site died out multiple times can we be sure it wont happen again? IDK if it was a domain issue or what but other modding sites picked up the slack. No one knows where a lot of these modding authors went many did move on just let bygones be bygones.
axonis wrote:
if they weren't archived they would have been gone forever you think the authors would have wanted that?

That's exactly why GF was properly rescued instead of stealing the works of these authors in the name of "archiving".

Don't worry. The files were uploaded at GF by their authors and are now again at GF.

''stealing the works of these authors in the name of "archiving"'' rofl. Stop being a fool and stop crying about mods being ''stolen'' already. It's a stupid and invalid argument regarding Nexus. No one knew if the site was going to come back and it looked A LOT like it was gone forever. That's a fact. No one else took credit for it on Nexus and the original authors were still on their files. But sure, next time we should just do nothing because we can't ''steal'' these mods and just have to hope *something* happens that results in whatever page getting rescued / revived, as unlikely as it may be! Unicorns don't exist, btw. And if it doesn't come back, oh well, then the mods are gone. Who cares? /s

Sorry but this is just bad. I was trying to look for some maps for CnC Generals and then I see this. Great. So I go to GameFront and find a category which contains all the maps people uploaded. No subcategories, no filters, just nothing except search, but it's useless if you don't look for a specific map. Are you really expecting me to click on every single damn map, load the file's page, and check the description if it mentions the amount of players and hope that it's the amount I'm looking for? The files don't even have preview pictures! Are you serious? Do you expect me to load every single map into the game and see if it's an actually playable one?

In this kind of situation I'll just have to live with not getting some of the gems from the past. THIS is not going to work. And this is only one game backup from old FileFront that I checked.

1. Categories have subcatgories. Infact the categories on GameFront are EXACTLY the same as they would have been on here, cause, well, it's the same source data. The new site runs on the exact same category structure and database as the old site, and thus the category structure used here.

subcats.jpg

2. There are filters on some pages but we're working on adding more advanced filters and an advanced search.

3. We've already rolled out an update today that changes category views to use cards with preview screenshots, ratings and other information that makes this easier

category.png

Like we've said before we're not closed to feedback. Infact if people contact us directly with an issue we've been known to roll out fixes and test them within the day, sometimes hours. But for us to do that, you need to contact us directly. We aren't regularly monitoring this thread. We have a support ticket system on the site.

Honestly if there's something wrong and we can fix it we'll fix it, you just need to work with us. As you can see from today's update, it's already an improvement, and we'll roll out more in the next week, i.e. the filters etc.

Thread locked as it has now been several months. If you have any issues with the Game Front site or service please take it to them using their contact form, forum or Discord server. They're a friendly bunch -- promise!