Site Design Survey and Feedback Group

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

Pickysaurus

Pickysaurus

Community Manager

• Admin
  • 13,073 posts
How do you feel about the design of the Nexus Mods website? Since our sites current design went live in 2017? we’ve been listening to all the feedback, both good and bad, we've received from the community. Armed with that and having now filled our UI/UX designer position at the Nexus Mods office, our designer has been tasked with going through the current site layout and looking for ways it can be improved. 

Posted Image

We’ve spent some time looking at the analytics on our website, with a focus on the user's flow and how they navigate through the site. Although useful, this information can only tell us so much. To get a true measure of the user's experience on our site, we would like to give you the opportunity to tell us what you think about Nexus Mods. 

Initially, we’ll be focusing on the Nexus Mods homepage, navigation and mod pages. Starting out with a very short survey to gauge how our community feels about the experience we are currently offering. 

The survey is now closed. Thank you for your feedback.

The survey will run from 15th April 2019 to 26th April 2019. When giving your answers please try to be as constructive as possible. Honest feedback is welcome, but if you don't like something we'd love to know how you think it can be made better. 

At the end of the questions, you’ll notice we mention a Design Focus Group that will run a short time after the survey closes. Based on the responses we get from the community we’ll be hand-picking users across a wide demographic of site usage to participate in focused discussions about particular site features and functionality. 

Our hope is to cast a wide net to capture the opinions of all types of users including new users, veterans of the site (who went through the last redesign with us), mod authors, image/video share users and those who like to engage with others in the posts section or forums. 

It doesn’t stop there though. In the future, we may ask the community for more feedback on different parts of the site or invite additional users to our focus groups. Eventually, we plan to turn the designer’s creative eye to more areas of the site and Vortex. Make sure you pay attention to our site news for more on this over the coming months. 

Thank you for participating! 

chickmetalhead

chickmetalhead

Resident poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts
Well, I have one suggestion... Don't use google for anything - including surveys, because some of us block everything google because of the massive privacy invasion that google/youtube/etc pose! Or to be more clear... I can't see or use your survey! :biggrin:

ElSopa

ElSopa

Saitama

• Premium Member
  • 5,136 posts
In response to post #69371517.

Spoiler

If you think there isnt already a profile somewhere including updated detailed info about even what you think I've got bad news for you.
So, taking the survey is recommended.

zhoulia

zhoulia

Mod Creator

• Premium Member
  • 543 posts
Sent my feedback

villings

villings

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
In response to post #69371517. #69372033 is also a reply to the same post.

Spoiler

americans and their paranoia! xD

DjinnKiller

DjinnKiller

Old hand

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
When the new design was launched I was a very vocal, and maybe not very sober/matter-of-fact, opponent to the new design, sorry about that.

It has a lot of (imho) basic flaws, or at least designs, that leaves something to be desired.
HTML5 in the hands of designers good at UX or "fluid" design is a very powerful tool, I am not one of those designers, but I've been lucky enough to work with a few of them.

Basic anoyances:
1. No dark design, or semi-high contrast making thing easier to read for us with an eyesight not 20/20.

2. Menu-bleed through where the choice in one drop-down menu triggers another menu. Try choosing the uppermost item on the UPDATES-menu, and be a little bit unprecise (some pixels), the SUPPORT-menu triggers very fast.

3. The menus are buggy, they are not fluent. The mechanism that detects "mouse hover" rolls down the menu but if you don't click exactly on the item, within a few pixels, you have to move the mouse to trigger a new menu and then move i t back. Then try to click the item again. Case in point, hovering over the MODS-menu, trying to click "Tracking Centre", nothing happens, move the mouse to the IMAGES-menu and then back, and try again.

3. When you from the front page click the "View More" you get bumped back to the first item in the list. That is not "View More", that is "see the whole list, starting at the beginning". When I roll down and click view-more I expect to....view more, not the same, scroll down and then view more

4. "Your public profile" should be placed under "Change your settings" and removed from the front page. Changing my profile is a part of my user settings.

5. User settings should be organised into groups. All image/file related stuff should be grouped togheter regardless if it belongs to settings or my profile.

6. Security settings should be the default choice when clicking "Change your settings".

7. MFA (multi factor auth) should be default connected to auth-apps (Google, Authy, Microsoft), not the email account. If you are compromised, your email are probably too.

8. Links to "other" sites (in the top menu like the forum) should by default open in a new tab/window.

and a couple of other, but I'm gonna simmer down for now.

...probably gonna get a lot of flack for this, but you good people asked.... :D

Cheers
DK

Pickysaurus

Pickysaurus

Community Manager

• Admin
  • 13,073 posts
In response to post #69372181.

Spoiler

Thank you! :)

Pickysaurus

Pickysaurus

Community Manager

• Admin
  • 13,073 posts
In response to post #69372633.

Spoiler

Thanks for the detailed feedback DjinnKiller. You'll be pleased to know that at least a few of the points you raised have already been picked up.

I am not all that sure what you mean by "No dark design" though? The site itself is natively dark with coloured highlights based on game (at least in my eyes). There are a few places where the contrast could be improved though, I agree.

DjinnKiller

DjinnKiller

Old hand

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
In response to post #69372633. #69372889 is also a reply to the same post.

Spoiler

Thanks for the fast reply!

It is not a matter of how dark a site or service is, just a matter of preference.
I've been using this addon, https://darkreader.org/ since it was released, not because I "hate" NExus or other sites, just because they are to bright for my taste.

The dark theme is getting traction as a choice (luckily), just look at the latest from MS or other big ones, it is only a matter of choice and preference.

luxor8071

luxor8071

Master Chief

• Premium Member
  • 3,599 posts
Sent my feedback.

Page loaded in: 1.042 seconds