A Quality World Map

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

scrivener07

scrivener07

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,845 posts

This is a wip thread for a new version of A Quality World Map -with roads. I really wanted to do a throw back to the very well done Oblivion mod, Map Marker Overhaul by TheNiceOne
Would it be cool to toggle major/minor roads, cell grid/cords(for modders), region borders/names, map textures and other stuff on and off in game? How about camera settings, fast travelling, custom notes/markers? Then welcome to the wip thread. Nothing is really set or final so speak your mind.

Here I will post snap shots of how things are going every once in a while.

An example of what a colored local map would look like. This is something I will work more on later, but for now its way to buggy to use.
Posted Image

Im looking for feedback, ideas and comments. Read
Heres a list of things Im confident I will be able to include in the next release TBA
- full screen map menu
- full screen local map
- toggle map preferences such as major/minor roads
- cycle through different map textures
- easy install

And a list of features I will investigate as i go
- tag map markers with custom notes
- filter map markers by name or type
- toggle individual quest objectives in the map menu
- toggle map camera and world boundaries
- configure map camera settings such as zoom height and default view angle
- toggle fast travel on or off
- LOCK fast travel to off setting. Must edit external file to unlock setting again.
- map texture quality settings low/med/high
- drop and name custom map markers
- 'un-discover any map marker'
- toggle colored local maps

announce #1
announce #2
Please comment on my planned features or suggest your own :)

Kinei

Kinei

Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
They would all be great additions, and if you're already working on them, then it'd be great seeing a BETA version sometime soon. If you're waiting for feedback first, then it'd be great to see a BETA version with the basics, as you add those features in subsequent updates. I wish you luck in your endeavor, and I couldn't think of anything else you could add besides maybe an in-game item, I was thinking a map that uses the Elder scrolls' animation to open up the map (just a thought). How hard would it be to incorporate all of those features anyhow?

scrivener07

scrivener07

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,845 posts
An in game map item is an idea Ive been tossing around since the start. For my personal taste I would rather be required to purchase a map and keep it in my inventory before the map menu is available. Im sure most people would just consider this an annoyance but I suppose that doesnt mean I should ignore the minority and myself. Thanks, Ill add it to the list of map options.

About pushing an alpha out the door. Honestly, Im way excited but nervous to release the first working build right away. I really want the first alpha release to be solid and backed by a small private group of testers. What I dont mind doing right away is sharing my Git repository with who ever contacts me. Send a request to AQualityWorldMap @ gmail .com and I can hook up access to source code and early builds (use at your own risk).

fraquar

fraquar

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
I don't know if this is possible but I'd love a mining overlay, one which just shows mines/ore locations that have been discovered. If it's possible also have them color coded to reflect their availability status - or at the very least a timestamp as to when they were exhausted.

Edited by fraquar, 22 September 2012 - 11:47 AM.

steelrose0

steelrose0

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
first - love love this mod! can't play without it! :)

i also love your Riverwood screenie - it looks really terrific and gorgeous!! i still sometimes get confused identifying individual buildings/landmarks.. :) the colors make a HUGE difference! (and the more i play with the creation kit, the stranger the vanilla local map settings seem - like coffins having "show on local map" checked by default, yet i've never noticed a coffin on the map...)

regarding other ideas:
* i would also love a toggle-able ore map, even without a timer, though color-coding the markers to ore type would be nice. on that note..
* expanding on Colored Map Markers would be great too, though from the 10 secs i've spent researching it, it sounds like it's harder than it should be....
* i <3 your Cartographer menu - being able to make in-menu adjustments would be fantastic! i have no idea how, but could you add a keyboard shortcut to open the it? (the UI constantly annoys me by making me switch between mouse & keyboard..)
* in-game configuring map camera settings such as zoom height and default view angle - this would be awesome! i keep messing with .ini settings and still don't completely understand them. ;)

thank you for all your effort!!

PeacePiper

PeacePiper

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
In response to post #6214283.

I failed to comment, didn't mean to reply

Edited by PeacePiper, 03 June 2013 - 05:43 AM.

PeacePiper

PeacePiper

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
In response to post #6215902.

PeacePiper

PeacePiper

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
In response to post #6218452.

PeacePiper

PeacePiper

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello, noob to Skyrim modding. I used NMM to install this addon, opened Skyrim using the SKSE exe and it doesn't seem to change anything. I don't have the text "fMapWorldTransitionHeight" in any of my ini files. I'm a Steam user but have starting the game from the SKSE exe file from my desktop and from NMM. Please and thank you for any help.

MikeWootton

MikeWootton

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ive installed this mod correctly (main roads version), as well as the meshes needed, and I have the higher quality map but roads aren't being displayed. Any help?

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.025 seconds