Important Security Notice

BigBizkit

In response to post #76838433. #76972673 is also a reply to the same post.

aragas11 wrote: "Always use unique and strong passwords of at least 12 characters for each service you use." Longer passwords don't guarantee security though.
CommandantShepard wrote: It's the unique and strong passwords part of this statement that really matters. Of course longer passwords will help, but ultimately having many complicated and unique passwords will potentially stop you from getting other accounts hacked. The best security guarantee is to not use any services, anything else is a compromise.

nothing guarantees security, but your biggest security threat is bots mass guessing a password, those bots will be scrolling through all potential passwords, and as such a COMPLEX password won't make a notable difference, but each extra character in length will make it take exponentially longer for the bot to guess

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #76636383. #76652203 is also a reply to the same post.

tirtan1 wrote: As a prem life time member already Please explain why you are asking me to pay again
PCGirl wrote: I am confused by your comment. Where in this news post do you see anything about paying again?

they probably got sent to the page asking them to sign up for premium

In response to post #76838433. #76972673, #77238293 are all replies on the same post.

aragas11 wrote: "Always use unique and strong passwords of at least 12 characters for each service you use." Longer passwords don't guarantee security though.
CommandantShepard wrote: It's the unique and strong passwords part of this statement that really matters. Of course longer passwords will help, but ultimately having many complicated and unique passwords will potentially stop you from getting other accounts hacked. The best security guarantee is to not use any services, anything else is a compromise.
splitwires wrote: nothing guarantees security, but your biggest security threat is bots mass guessing a password, those bots will be scrolling through all potential passwords, and as such a COMPLEX password won't make a notable difference, but each extra character in length will make it take exponentially longer for the bot to guess

Gonna hop in as I did my dissertation on the ease of modern password cracking and I wanna flex

Things note about passwords:
1. Each real dictionary word is essentially one character, as dictionary lists are the first things we use
2. Anything shorter than 6 characters is not a password
3. Using l33t sp33k is useless as rule lists try these with very little increase in effort
4. Using personal information in your password is a death sentence, this info can be fished/mined with ease
5. Don't use your good pwds on janky old websites, they probably use MD5 and that's pretty much raw text password storage
*PLEASE don't use those dice-roll sites they're terribly insecure passwords with modern cracking techniques.

The best passwords are, of course, randomly generated password from things like KeePass2. Though you'll have no chance of remembering them. I think the best passwords would be a short sentance of words purposly spelt wrong with random 'special' chars thrown into the words;

example: AS8/{00}dBl44ck\\othingNess#

In response to post #76636383. #76652203, #77238368 are all replies on the same post.

tirtan1 wrote: As a prem life time member already Please explain why you are asking me to pay again
PCGirl wrote: I am confused by your comment. Where in this news post do you see anything about paying again?
splitwires wrote: they probably got sent to the page asking them to sign up for premium

UVHRC6c.png

As you can see your account is not Premium. Perhaps you had another account with a different email address?

Send a copy of your purchase invoice to [email protected] and we'll help you track it down.

In response to post #76810703.

Regnier1919 wrote: My Avast told me it had safely aborted a connection to Skyrimgems.com because it was infected with HTML:script-inf(susp) Could someone clarify have I downloaded an infected file from Nexus or is this something else?

Get rid of Avast altogether (it's bad nowadays), and use something better - or, if you are on Windows 10 (and version 1903 or HIGHER), use the built-in protection.

This comes from 5+ years of personally USING THEIR SOFTWARE. Their code is so filled with bugs that it's a miracle that my PC hasn't required me to reinstall Windows from scratch yet.

(not listing every issue I have with Avast - the final straw I had with 'em was with their exclusion system not working AT ALL - quarantining files THAT I PUT ON THAT LIST as "malicious & dangerous" - EVEN THOUGH THOSE FILES WERE 100% CLEAN.) Edited by bvanharjr

In response to post #76151108. #76380798 is also a reply to the same post.

DaisukeNiwaKun wrote: Geeez people you are arguing about usernames, 12 letter passwords and god knows whatever else. I was mad too about my username but it's only a username it took me 5 min to understand this change. But one thing is really silly!

Well the site knows exactly with user is premium and who isn't. So why when clicking download it takes me to a sub site to choose slow download or fast download. I think people here made a bad decisions and users will gonna quit not only because of their usernames and passwords but also because of the psychological forcing to buy a premium subscription. Staff add only a button, but what the future will brings? 30 seconds timeout with ads for free users next?

Dear Nexus please stop where you are now because you choose the wrong side. The year 2020 should be better not worse! Do not let this happen.
P.s. The subscription lifetime plan is little to expensive, make a promo.
dragonagesusi wrote: amen!

I agree wholeheartedly with what you said about psychologically forcing premium, DaisukeNiwaKun. We all know how to opt for a premium account, and we all know that download speeds are capped unless you pay. So why do we need to be taken to a "choice" screen where we are shown - in the same way those tacky file share sites display it - how our choice to use the free version of Nexus is a bad one? The downloads don't take long even at slow speeds, many of them being small, and I have never downloaded anything for which I impatiently waited.

I have paid in the past (under a different account, which is gone now hence the new one; I used to be under the user name "centime") for a premium account, but this hard sell guarantees that I never will again. And I also agree about the price of a lifetime subscription...49.00 UK exchanges to $64.74 US; too much for a game modding site (in my opinion, which counts for nothing to anyone but me). Perhaps if I were younger...

Call me whatever you like, but there is no need for pushing our faces down into the idea of paying for a subscription. Again, we all know how to do it and what is at stake if we don't, but this new tactic will, I believe, turn off a lot of would-be financial contributors to Nexus. This has left such a bad taste I don't think I will be here for too long anyway. Greed is, to me, the most ugly of human attributes. Edited by crowsraven

• 2 weeks later...
In response to post #76810703. #77394508 is also a reply to the same post.

Regnier1919 wrote: My Avast told me it had safely aborted a connection to Skyrimgems.com because it was infected with HTML:script-inf(susp) Could someone clarify have I downloaded an infected file from Nexus or is this something else?
bvanharjr wrote: Get rid of Avast altogether (it's bad nowadays), and use something better - or, if you are on Windows 10 (and version 1903 or HIGHER), use the built-in protection.

This comes from 5+ years of personally USING THEIR SOFTWARE. Their code is so filled with bugs that it's a miracle that my PC hasn't required me to reinstall Windows from scratch yet.

(not listing every issue I have with Avast - the final straw I had with 'em was with their exclusion system not working AT ALL - quarantining files THAT I PUT ON THAT LIST as "malicious & dangerous" - EVEN THOUGH THOSE FILES WERE 100% CLEAN.)

Avast is actually pretty good. I use it and mod skyrim extensively. Not many complaints there. Edited by Dazner

Avast, (and AVG, they are owned by the same outfit now) flags many games' and mods' executables as malware. For example, they keep any game using the Frostbite engine from starting.

There are many alternatives, including free ones (e.g. "Windows Defender", which is built-in to Win10) that do a much better job.

Guest deleted34304850
In response to post #76810703. #77394508, #77676363 are all replies on the same post.

bvanharjr wrote: Get rid of Avast altogether (it's bad nowadays), and use something better - or, if you are on Windows 10 (and version 1903 or HIGHER), use the built-in protection.

(not listing every issue I have with Avast - the final straw I had with 'em was with their exclusion system not working AT ALL - quarantining files THAT I PUT ON THAT LIST as "malicious & dangerous" - EVEN THOUGH THOSE FILES WERE 100% CLEAN.)
Dazner wrote: Avast is actually pretty good. I use it and mod skyrim extensively. Not many complaints there.

Avast you say? Pretty good you say?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3a8vjk/czech-data-protection-authority-investigation-avast-jumpshot

In response to post #76810703. #77394508, #77676363, #77698568 are all replies on the same post.

Dazner wrote: Avast is actually pretty good. I use it and mod skyrim extensively. Not many complaints there.

I used Avast for around 2 years and found myself reinstalling Windows 2 times because of false positives on system files which after that had been removed, now I stick to Malwarebytes, it costs money for more protection than just weekly scans but if you donacdum on the internet that should be enough Edited by marijn211