What's new with Vortex? - 1.2.14 Update

BigBizkit

I just wanted to thank you for making the modding community an even better place. I've enjoyed using Vortex. Even more I so have enjoyed seeing the collaboration between the community and nexus to make modding more accessible.

One aspect that I think is not getting quite enough attention is Oblivion. Because Vortex doesn't support some of the alternative mod managers package BAIN/OMOD package formats. Most mods are packaged in those formats and it's nearly impossible to use Vortex without extensive restructuring each package to work appropriately. As new people are getting into Oblivion or earlier Bethesda titles they are going to be very frustrated. This potentially could harm the their respective modding communities over time.

Edited by zone22

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #82627708.

zone22 wrote: I just wanted to thank you for making the modding community an even better place. I've enjoyed using Vortex. Even more I so have enjoyed seeing the collaboration between the community and nexus to make modding more accessible.

One aspect that I think is not getting quite enough attention is Oblivion. Because Vortex doesn't support some of the alternative mod managers package BAIN/OMOD package formats. Most mods are packaged in those formats and it's nearly impossible to use Vortex without extensive restructuring each package to work appropriately. As new people are getting into Oblivion or earlier Bethesda titles they are going to be very frustrated. This potentially could harm the their respective modding communities over time.

Hey zone,

Glad you're enjoying Vortex and Nexus Mods :)

In regards to BAIN/OMOD installation, if someone in the community wants to step up and create an extension for it that'd be fine, but I'm not sure we'll be able to support those formats officially. I believe there are some security concerns with how they work too but I could be misremembering.

Look at the thing for Mount And Blade, how you can drag mods up and down in the load order. Did you ever do that for Skyrimr? The lack of such a button or mechanic means several Skyrim mods will not work. For that reason, I uninstalled Vortex, and continued using the old Nexus Mod Manager. Skyrim is simply not playable otherwise.

And before anyone says anything, LOOT also does not allow you to manually move mods. LOOT is simply a rough guideline, but you are stuck with what it gives you, so mods will still break.

So, if you have not already, do the same thing for Skyrim, and add a button or mechanic to manually move mods up and down in Skyrim load order.

Edited by Lindaleff

In response to post #82644678.

Lindaleff wrote: Look at the thing for Mount And Blade, how you can drag mods up and down in the load order. Did you ever do that for Skyrimr? The lack of such a button or mechanic means several Skyrim mods will not work. For that reason, I uninstalled Vortex, and continued using the old Nexus Mod Manager. Skyrim is simply not playable otherwise.

And before anyone says anything, LOOT also does not allow you to manually move mods. LOOT is simply a rough guideline, but you are stuck with what it gives you, so mods will still break.

So, if you have not already, do the same thing for Skyrim, and add a button or mechanic to manually move mods up and down in Skyrim load order.

this is mostly you not taking the 2 minutes to understand how this program works
https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Managing_your_Load_Order

In response to post #82644678. #82648508 is also a reply to the same post.

Lindaleff wrote: Look at the thing for Mount And Blade, how you can drag mods up and down in the load order. Did you ever do that for Skyrimr? The lack of such a button or mechanic means several Skyrim mods will not work. For that reason, I uninstalled Vortex, and continued using the old Nexus Mod Manager. Skyrim is simply not playable otherwise.

acidzebra wrote: this is mostly you not taking the 2 minutes to understand how this program works

That is almost word-for-word what someone told me when Vortex replaced the old Nexus Mod Manager. I looked at that page then, and looked at the thing in Vortex, and it was entirely too complex to understand. It literally wants you to learn how to program something, which I did not have the computer know-how to do then, and I still don't have now. It was not a "2 minutes" thing as you describe it. I spent hours on it, and could not figure out how to program it, much less program 150+ mods to work together.

The old Nexus Mod Manager has two simple arrow buttons, up and down. Click the up arrow to move the mod up, or click the down arrow to move the mod down. Easy to understand. Easy to use. Effective. This is what I want in Vortex. This article says the Mount And Blade section has been given a similar mechanic. Now we need the Skyrim section to have that same mechanic. Edited by Lindaleff

In response to post #82644678. #82648508, #82649243 are all replies on the same post.

acidzebra wrote: this is mostly you not taking the 2 minutes to understand how this program works
Lindaleff wrote: That is almost word-for-word what someone told me when Vortex replaced the old Nexus Mod Manager. I looked at that page then, and looked at the thing in Vortex, and it was entirely too complex to understand. It literally wants you to learn how to program something, which I did not have the computer know-how to do then, and I still don't have now. It was not a "2 minutes" thing as you describe it. I spent hours on it, and could not figure out how to program it, much less program 150+ mods to work together.

The old Nexus Mod Manager has two simple arrow buttons, up and down. Click the up arrow to move the mod up, or click the down arrow to move the mod down. Easy to understand. Easy to use. Effective. This is what I want in Vortex. This article says the Mount And Blade section has been given a similar mechanic. Now we need the Skyrim section to have that same mechanic.

I suspect you're messing with your load order more than is actually required. Most of the time you don't even need to look at the plugins tab. And even then in my 600-ish mod install I probably had about 10 custom rules or group changes for however many plugins I ended up with.

NMM drilled a bunch of bad habits into a lot of modders. If you let Vortex do it's thing and only adjust the load order if it's actually necessary you'll find it much easier. Edited by Pickysaurus

In response to post #82644678. #82648508, #82649243, #82649413 are all replies on the same post.

Lindaleff wrote: That is almost word-for-word what someone told me when Vortex replaced the old Nexus Mod Manager. I looked at that page then, and looked at the thing in Vortex, and it was entirely too complex to understand. It literally wants you to learn how to program something, which I did not have the computer know-how to do then, and I still don't have now. It was not a "2 minutes" thing as you describe it. I spent hours on it, and could not figure out how to program it, much less program 150+ mods to work together.

The old Nexus Mod Manager has two simple arrow buttons, up and down. Click the up arrow to move the mod up, or click the down arrow to move the mod down. Easy to understand. Easy to use. Effective. This is what I want in Vortex. This article says the Mount And Blade section has been given a similar mechanic. Now we need the Skyrim section to have that same mechanic.
Pickysaurus wrote: I suspect you're messing with your load order more than is actually required. Most of the time you don't even need to look at the plugins tab. And even then in my 600-ish mod install I probably had about 10 custom rules or group changes for however many plugins I ended up with.

NMM drilled a bunch of bad habits into a lot of modders. If you let Vortex do it's thing and only adjust the load order if it's actually necessary you'll find it much easier.

Exactly the opposite. I was not able TO change the load order, which is why mods were conflicting with each other. I did not have a way to move stuff up or down to resolve those conflicts.

Those simple up and down arrows in NMM allowed me to resolve any conflicts without needing to learn a complex programming language, which is exactly what Vortex wants me to do. Edited by Lindaleff

In response to post #82644678. #82648508, #82649243, #82649413, #82650088 are all replies on the same post.

Pickysaurus wrote: I suspect you're messing with your load order more than is actually required. Most of the time you don't even need to look at the plugins tab. And even then in my 600-ish mod install I probably had about 10 custom rules or group changes for however many plugins I ended up with.

NMM drilled a bunch of bad habits into a lot of modders. If you let Vortex do it's thing and only adjust the load order if it's actually necessary you'll find it much easier.
Lindaleff wrote: Exactly the opposite. I was not able TO change the load order, which is why mods were conflicting with each other. I did not have a way to move stuff up or down to resolve those conflicts.

Those simple up and down arrows in NMM allowed me to resolve any conflicts without needing to learn a complex programming language, which is exactly what Vortex wants me to do.

You can double click a plugin and use the group drop-down to reassign it. I'm not sure why you feel it's like a "programming language" but if you have constructive feedback please feel free to submit to through the app.

I would suggest reading this first though: https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/The_Vortex_approach_to_load_order_sorting Edited by Pickysaurus

In response to post #82644678. #82648508, #82649243, #82649413, #82650088, #82650933 are all replies on the same post.

Lindaleff wrote: Exactly the opposite. I was not able TO change the load order, which is why mods were conflicting with each other. I did not have a way to move stuff up or down to resolve those conflicts.

Those simple up and down arrows in NMM allowed me to resolve any conflicts without needing to learn a complex programming language, which is exactly what Vortex wants me to do.
Pickysaurus wrote: You can double click a plugin and use the group drop-down to reassign it. I'm not sure why you feel it's like a "programming language" but if you have constructive feedback please feel free to submit to through the app.

I would suggest reading this first though: https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/The_Vortex_approach_to_load_order_sorting

I really like Vortex, but it’s dependency on LOOT ( or rather it being a shell for LOOT ) has always been the beef I had with it. LOOT isn’t infallible. One needs to go through more hassle than necessary to manually adjust something.

I really wish the developers ( yes, looking at you Tannin42 :) ) would give us a choice:
LOOT version of Vortex
Non LOOT version of Vortex

I bet a lot more people would want to use Vortex because besides being tool for LOOT it really has some great features
Cheers
-=DD=-

In response to post #82644678. #82648508, #82649243, #82649413, #82650088, #82650933, #82705298 are all replies on the same post.

Pickysaurus wrote: You can double click a plugin and use the group drop-down to reassign it. I'm not sure why you feel it's like a "programming language" but if you have constructive feedback please feel free to submit to through the app.

I would suggest reading this first though: https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/The_Vortex_approach_to_load_order_sorting
DarkDominion wrote: I really like Vortex, but it’s dependency on LOOT ( or rather it being a shell for LOOT ) has always been the beef I had with it. LOOT isn’t infallible. One needs to go through more hassle than necessary to manually adjust something.

I really wish the developers ( yes, looking at you Tannin42 :) ) would give us a choice:
LOOT version of Vortex
Non LOOT version of Vortex

I bet a lot more people would want to use Vortex because besides being tool for LOOT it really has some great features
Cheers
-=DD=-

The flip side of "LOOT is not infallible" is that neither are you (or me). In general, I'd take large group consensus over individual opinion. However, if you have a mod that you consistently want somewhere other than where LOOT wants to place it (and in a list of ~300 skyrim VR mods I have about 5 or 6), just create a rule. Done. Now every time you deploy/sort, your mods will be placed in the exact same place you want them to.