92 replies to this topic

Site Bot

Site Bot

Fear me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017,834 posts
No Essential NPCs ini Tweak

No more essential NPCs - all with a simple tweak. Because essential NPCs don\'t deserve to live....

Anach

Anach

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,044 posts
Saving often wont really help, because NPCs can often die off-screen, and you won't know until much later, by which time it will be too late. However, this is good if you don't care about quests and just want to kill everything that moves.

knightspk2

knightspk2

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
In response to post #7671084.

I've never had a problem with an NPC dieing off-screen. I've done many, many quests with no essential NPCs, and the only problems I've had is NPCs dieing in front of me.

Anach

Anach

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,044 posts
In response to post #7671084. #7671136 is also a reply to the same post.

Never found Belethor dead and not been able to get into his shop, or have someone die from vampire, cultist or dragon attacks? I've seen all those happen numerous times during my 800 hours of play. You've been very lucky :)

Anyway, if you're going to reload after killing a quest NPC, then what's the point of having them killable in the first place, and how do you tell which NPC has a quest or not, especially if you haven't met the pre-requisites for that quest to become available from that NPC? Even after this much play time, I still find NPCs that have quests I never knew existed. This is why I like those mods that make them killable after their quests are complete.

The other problem is you break compatibility with brawling, and those other mods that you mentioned in your description, where as compatibility issues with an esp file are easily fixed with a custom merged patch using TES5Edit.

Nonetheless this is an interesting tweak I didn't know existed, and I might save it for when I've completed the game 100%, just for fun. :)

SupremeEpicness

SupremeEpicness

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
In response to post #7671084. #7671136, #7671269 are all replies on the same post.

Actually, due to the AI programming of skyrim a npc can die in solitude while your in whiterun. ncps continue on their daily paths even if the player is nowhere near them and if something like a dragon is outside morthal it can kill several npc even if the player is in a dungeon.

knightspk2

knightspk2

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
In response to post #7671084. #7671136, #7671269, #7671303 are all replies on the same post.

I've never found Belethor dead (why would he be dead?) or had someone die from a vampire, since I don't use Dawnguard. From the very few dragon attacks I've seen in cities, only a few have died for me. I must be lucky. You don't have to reload after a quest NPC dies. This tweak is for immersion. If an NPC dies, then he dies. Your quest to protect the NPC has failed. People die - it's simple as that. How many times have you seen "Quest Failed" in Skyrim? Not very many, I suppose. I don't think I've ever seen it. If you kill certain essential NPCs, you will get a Quest Failed message. It's your choice if you want to redo the quest by reloading. This tweak also promotes exploration. You shouldn't know if an NPC has a quest or not.

Edited by knightspk2, 26 March 2013 - 01:37 AM.

Anach

Anach

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,044 posts
In response to post #7671084. #7671136, #7671269, #7671303, #7671307 are all replies on the same post.

Belethor has a habit of dying under mysterious circumstances. So far it has happened to me on about 50% of the game's I've played. This can be very annoying early in the game. No idea how he ends up dead (probably tripped on a loose floorboard) The only sign is that the store is always closed, and his body is in the Whiterun hall of the dead.

nintai83

nintai83

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
In response to post #7671084. #7671136, #7671269, #7671303, #7671307, #7671515 are all replies on the same post.

I am not so sure about these theories. For one, I have 1000+ hours of gameplay over multiple characters and I have never seen Belethor die. Secondly, NPC don't do jack when I am not within the same cell. A great example would be when I fast traveled to Solitude today. There were several vampires attacking and a fight was ensuing. I saw no reason to involve myself since the vampires were outnumbered at least 3 to 1, so I entered the Winking Skeever and ignored the battle. I spent about six hours in there and exited the inn only to find the fight was still happening. Not even a moment in the battle had progressed in the six hours I spent in another cell. I can't imagine that the engine would vary so wildly from one game to another.

saikoraito

saikoraito

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
you know, you could break the quest if you kill essential npc.

knightspk2

knightspk2

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
In response to post #7672212.

You know, if you read the description, you would see that I mentioned that.

Page loaded in: 0.999 seconds