19 replies to this topic

Site Bot

Site Bot

Fear me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291,023 posts
Immora Custom Master Level

Custom-made Master Level for Immora. Designed to be used with UberCringe's Challenge Restored mod.

Someguy363

Someguy363

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
Some feedback (played on Nightmare). Good ML, I liked what you did with the non arena encounters inside Immora such as the Marauder encounter or mock escalation. However, I feel that when you make a ML for TAG 2, you have to either fully commit towards matching the hammer's power or avoiding it, and this ML feels like it tries to do both.

By that I mean, it feels as if you intentionally avoided using enemies with weakpoints, such as Mancubi or Revenants, in arenas to avoid allowing easy refills of the hammer. But when encounters are balanced around using the hammer, yet you do not have a reliable source to refill your hammer at key points or enough hammer pickups, the pacing starts to fall apart. While it may be true that glory kills recharging your hammer is there for a reason, look at the base TAG 2. Arenas are filled with enemies that have weakpoints so it never feels like you have to go for glory kills and lock yourself into an animation to recharge it. When there is a lack of weakpoint enemies, you end up spending more time looking for fodder to get those glory kills to fill your hammer, and when the arena is tight and claustrophobic with heavies breathing down your neck at every corner, it starts to feel annoying.

Compare that to proteh's Reclaimed Earth master level. In the final arena, hammer pickups are everywhere, enemies with weakpoints are everywhere, and it's generally just a fun time because you can spam the hammer but the demon density still risks the chance of you dying if you don't pay attention. The final encounter in your ML has the player facing all the demons they've encountered in order of appearance, and it's pretty entertaining. But the problem is that the only demons who have weakpoints are 1/3 into the wave, so the rest of fight ends up feeling a lot more tedious as you have to rely on getting glory kills to refill your hammer, and when you've already been doing that for the majority of the level, it starts to feel tiring.

So a suggestion: add in some more Mancubi, Arachnotrons, or Revenants into arena fights. I don't think they need to be spawned in regularly, as this ML isn't balanced around spamming the hammer. Rather, have something like 2 Mancubi spawn at the start of a new wave and throw in a Revenant or two half way into a wave. That way you have something that can recharge your hammer in an instant to improve the pacing, and at the same time, if the player wastes those weakpoints the fault is on them and is more skill based compared to just putting an extra hammer pickup.

Edited by Someguy363, 05 May 2021 - 10:03 PM.

Konvaz

Konvaz

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
In response to post #94090578.

Spoiler

Oh man I didn't consider weakpoint hammer refills all that much when designing this. My personal playstyle is very glory-kill heavy anyways. Thank you for the feedback though. I think I might tweak some of the encounters in a later patch, adding more weakpoint-based demons.

Homievc

Homievc

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Reminds me of playing TAG1 pre-nerf where the level kicks off at a 10 and occasionally turns it up to 11 and even higher. Constantly keeps you on your toes and punishes sloppy play, exactly how a master level should be. Love all the extra grapple nodes, but I'd like an extra node or two for those laser-blocked doorways to make the traversal more fun (e.g. immediately after the first demonic troopers / marauders arena after you take the catapult into the city) as without any you're still just double jumping and double dashing in a straight line.
And I agree with someguy: more weakpoints in those arenas that were lacking would be a welcome addition.

Edited by Homievc, 06 May 2021 - 08:50 PM.

egewithin

egewithin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
This is one of the best community Master Levels I have ever played. I couldn't finish it yet because game kept crashing but I liked it so far.

First of all, thank you for giving us BFG ammo. Some ''designers'' don't like putting BFG ammo on their maps because they see it as ez button, but in reality it is a part of the solution. When and where to fire the BFG is important, and I really needed it in this master level. Not to mention the awsome Meat Hook platforming in the arenas.

There are some very clever encounters like putting Pinkies and Blood Maykrs at the same time. You always need to be on your toes and choose what to kil. Or multiple possesed Stone Imps in one arena. You just can't kill all the spirits at once so you have to kill them one by one. I can see that there is some thought in this work, it feels like an actualt desing.

Feeling the pre-patch TAG1 rush on my hands again was very fun. Great work! Again, I don't know what is the rest of the level but there was a lack of Whiplash. I don't remember seeing even one of them. Maybe there are some, who knows :)

Polygondonut

Polygondonut

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Best master level I've ever played. I had so much fun playing through this. The encounters are incredibly challenging and tense but doable and never tiring or boring.
[SPOILERS]
The use of cursed prowlers was perfect. It was so fun trying to take them out on the platform fight. It created an incredibly tense situation that I pulled myself out of.
The use of marauders was also amazing. With multiple triple marauder fights you would expect to get tired but the arenas provided the slayer with lots of open space, many meathook points, and easy hammer pickups which made them incredibly enjoyable.

My only critique is I would've preferred if the second escalation level kept the immora music instead of switching to world spear but thats totally fine cuz both are bangers

PS: that last arena was an absolute blast, felt almost like a horde mode where more and more waves just kept spawning. Very well paced with the breaks in between hordes aswell made it not tiring :)

Dany12345

Dany12345

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Fun level but I would've prefered more checkpoints, I had to quit at the final arena because I just didn't have any time left to finish and having to repeat another 5 minutes fighting the first waves is very time consuming and tedious.
Other than that I have no complaints

Konvaz

Konvaz

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
In response to post #95834948.

Spoiler

Doesn't the latest patch have a checkpoint in the final arena once the Marauders spawn? If that is not working, then I could try to fix it.

Ichisich

Ichisich

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
Glad to see you're still working on this map.
It slowly became my favourite custom Master-level there is.

Rowge1

Rowge1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ugh... too many screechers... Otherwise, another awesome ML :)

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.222 seconds