Good day all.

I love the design of the vanilla Nordic Carved helmet and I'm thinking of using it for a bear themed warrior. However I vastly prefer closed faced helmets to open faced ones; as an example my other favorite vanilla helmets are the Dawnguard Full helm and the Steel Plate helm.

Looking at those two closed face helmets, especially the Dawnguard one, I can't help but think those closed faceplates would fit well inside the Nordic Carved helmet to make it a closed faced helm. I currently lack tools to load the models side by side but I think just clipping the Dawnguard helm inside the Nordic one would almost do the job by itself.

I'm operating under the assumption that combining already existing assets together would be the simplest thing; would combining the models for these two helmets in this way be straightforward? I have been using mods via Nexus for some time but have never tried to make one myself so I don't even know the first step. What would I need to begin this type of process and what steps would it take to complete?

unknown.png

Thanks to anyone for any time they can spare, have a wonderful day!

Edited by CaptainSunshine007

Here's a 2 part tutorial on armor mesh mashups. It's essentially using nifskope to copy the BSTriShape from one helmet and paste it onto the 0BSFadeNode of the other, with a few extra steps. It's a bit dated, but it helped me a lot.

There was a video tutorial on this by hothtrooper44 also, but I can't seem to find it anymore. Hopefully this one helps some.

You can use this process to import an existing FBX or OBJ file of a helmet if you decide not to use the Armour Mashup already mentioned.

100 Steps to Create Custom Armor

================================

Tools Needed:

-------------------

Creation Kit SSE (from Bethesda)

BAE Extracter (to open existing BSA files and export the .NIFs)

Gimp - Create texture and .dds files

NifSkope - to adjust the Nif

Outfit Studio - to copy bone weights

Steps to complete:

-----------------

BAE

1. Extract the NIF file reference using BAE from a .BSA reference library folder

2. Find a NIF file that is roughly the same as what you are making (ie. Daedric Helmet)

Creation Kit

3. Copy your reference NIF to your data directory under DATA\Meshes\(Your Mod Name)\(YourNifName).nif

4. Open Creation Kit...(Grab a cup of coffee while waiting).

5. Once open File > Save > (Your Mod Name). So you can make a mod .esp file

6. Go to Object Window (if you don't see it go to View in the upper banner and click to make visible again).

7. Search for all files that correspond to your reference file, (ie. daedric helmet) > right click and duplicate each file then rename for your new model. You should have 2 files that you are copying - AA (Armor Addon) and (Armor)

IMPORTANT: Always keep all game files the same and only change copies of files.

8. In your object that you just created for your model point to your reference NIF now named as your model - You will need this later to check out your model in game

9. Place your armor in Creation Kit in the game by opening a Render Window (ie. WhiterunBanneredMare) and dragging over the armor and place in game.

Outfit Studio

(Weight Painting - Only slightly less fun than counting the holes in your screen door)

8. Import the FBX or OBJ file of your new helmet model in to Outfit Studio and import your reference NIF file that was already extracted

9. Set your NIF file as the reference

10. Align your model as closely as possible and make sure neck opening/size are as close as possible and position are as close as possible. Check from all angles.

11. Right click on your model > Copy bone weights (default settings usually work for the first pass)

12. Once the bone weighting is done you can delete the reference otherwise it will show up with your model

13. Make sure you have SBP_30_HEAD as a Partitions

14. Export your model as NIF to the file you created in steps 3 to 7

15. Test in game.

Tip: If your helmet keeps disappearing in game if you get too close try re-sizing it down.

NifSkope

16. Add in texture files for new model .NIF

If everything is working...Thank the Skyrim Gods for this miracle of modding.

Good Luck!

Edited by Adventurer1111