Final Fantasy VII mod

MeguRyel

So now, Reno is done; one more hair until release.

Still can't upload the image, so you'll have to download the mod when done to see Reno and Vincent ;)

I'll definately make weapons, but I'll start with swords most likely (looks easier to me). If I wanted a Barret-gun, I would have to make it big enough to cover the hand, right? I think I can figure it out. But first, I will dig my way through a bunch of tutorials I found and make a bodies and clothing; my idea was to make three body types (like S, M, L) and different clothings - some will be onesize like powerarmor or brahminskin outfit, stuff that's not made to make you look elegant, you know... and others, those that show skin or are closer to the body like normal clothing will be avaiable in three sizes. So you make a char in size S for example, then you can wear clothes that are S or onesize, no M- or L-wear. Will make it little harder to find fitting clothes, but it allowes NPCs to have different bodytypes.

Ah by the way, is it possible to change the bodymesh/race after character-generation? Like: If you don't eat enough, you become slim. Anyway, my plan is to make three Races out of one, so you can choose between Caucasian - S, M, L etc. and tweek the NPCs a little so that some of them have different bodies.

But that's part two, I'm finishing the last hair tomorrow and the ugly male face.

So, I'm done with all modelling and texturing and am now testing the whole plugin; I started a new game, everythng works fine but then, all of a sudden the gene projector display turns black. Somewhere later there's a funny-coloured rectangle when the pipboy is opened. What could be my problem??

Happens sometimes, not always, still I'd like that issue corrected before releasing, but here is a first test version. I would appreciate any help fixing the bugs.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=8097

Few observations:

*May want to rename your hair files. Hairpack already uses hair01-09.

*Yuffie's hair (05). Bad UV mapping on the inside.

*Inefficient use of the texture space. They look really low resolution for 1k maps. You can probably pack the UV mapping a little tighter.

*Look at the hair in nifskope. There are patches of green color. You can fix the difference by going to the shape> double click on vertex color to turn it off> Save > load the file again, and double click vertex color to turn it back on. it'll turn all the vertex color to white.

*You may want to create child/old version of your race. So you can start the game with it.

Are there reasons that you're using a new headmesh? From what I can see, it isn't really needed. The changes you made were so minor that you can just edit the race inside the race facegen thing.

@johnny

Thanks, I don't have any training but I liked drawing since I was little so I did a lot ;) I have some of my works uploaded on deviantart, if you want to take a look:

http://engelryel.deviantart.com/gallery/

Always wanted to work somewhere in game design; maybe will sometime. But modding is a great hobby too.

laffin:

Yah I think I will rename the files; it's not so easy to repack the UVs for I draw them by hand. Having them packed on so little space makes that really difficult and I did not want to invest time in re-making all textures in this state. Maybe later, but I'll check on Yuffies hair.

Thanks for the tip with vertex-colours. Do you possibly know why the alpha doesn't work sometimes and makes the head peek out? I haven't found a system behind that.

Oh and the head-mesh: I admit the changes are minor, but they were not possible with the facegen. I wanted the lips to be more defined, and the exes to have a eyelid crease. Eyeform isn't changeable as much as I did want, some little things not everyone might notice but I just coudn't play a character I find ugly. That's why.

I'll speak with my team about this project, for I like modelling and texturing but adding the whole thing to the game and without conflicts with other mods is kinda hell to me. If I can get some help with that, I could concentrate on modelling, that would be much more fun to me.

Thanks for testing, anyway ;)

Megu: In regards to hair alpha, I assume you're asking about the overlapping alpha problem? You don't need to have NiAlphaProperties in the NIF. The transparencies work better without it for some reason. Delete it and see if it works better on your mesh. SydneyB showed me the way on this :D

Also. On the Yuffie hair, you really don't need to model the interior side of the hair. You can just put in NiStencilProperties, and it'll draw both side of the polygon. It may be easier than to mess around with the UV.

Been a little busy lately, or I'd contribute some stuff to this mod :(

Oh that's great information!!! Would mean I don't have to make two layers hair, right? Man that would really spare me some work... I think I'll take a little break for I've worked on this for the last few weeks without doing anything else, but thanks, really!

Most people seem to experience great problems with my mod, and I dunno why; it works great for me. Well ok, the new body is causing some texture problems with clothes that show skin right now, I'll have to fix that bit by bit.