Freezing during combat

simpliztik

simpliztik - Hello!

Sounds like the Fallout 3 multi core bug, the most common cause of Fallout 3 freezing.

Fallout 3 has trouble with multi core computers, mainly with ones that have more than two cores & use hyperthreading.

So if your computer is a multi core this is likely your trouble.

There is a fix, you need to edit your Fallout 3 .ini file.

The one you want to change is:

For XP:

My Documents\My Games\Fallout3\

For Vista & Win7:

Documents\My Games\Fallout3

The file you want will be called:

FALLOUT.ini

Open the .ini with Notepad & change this line:

bUseThreadedAI=0

to:

bUseThreadedAI=1

& insert this line under it:

iNumHWThreads=2

Save & close your ini.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Really appreciate the quick reply! Will try right now and will let anyone who is assisting me by tomorrow morning :wink:

UPDATE: I tried what you suggested but my game still seems to freeze during combat. I'm using the GOTY edition from Steam and the ini. that you mentioned that you thought was named "FALLOUT.ini" is "Fallout_default" and I assumed they were the same. I don't know if that makes any difference but I thought it was worth mentioning. I'm going to search for other ways to fix this problem.

Edited by simpliztik

simpliztik - Hello!

" and the ini. that you mentioned that you thought was named "FALLOUT.ini" is "Fallout_default" and I assumed they were the same."

They are not the same. :)

The Fallout_default.ini is in your Fallout 3 folder & is only used when the game needs to recreate the normal .ini.

It's a common mistake to make the changes to the Fallout_default.ini.

The FALLOUT.ini is the one that the game uses when in play & is the one you need to change.

That .ini will be in your Documents folder, check the details in my first post to find it's location depending on your operating system.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I've already done all of those things but for some reason the game still crashes. It seems to specifically be in close quarters when the enemy uses melee weapons and we are indoors like a house, metro station, vault 101 that sort of thing are there any other suggestions to fix. I also have no mods downloaded on my computer for fallout 3 so it couldn't be one of those. I am also using Fallout 3 GOTY edition.

• 10 months later...

simpliztik - Hello!

Sounds like the Fallout 3 multi core bug, the most common cause of Fallout 3 freezing.

Fallout 3 has trouble with multi core computers, mainly with ones that have more than two cores & use hyperthreading.

So if your computer is a multi core this is likely your trouble.

There is a fix, you need to edit your Fallout 3 .ini file.

The one you want to change is:

For XP:

My Documents\My Games\Fallout3\

For Vista & Win7:

Documents\My Games\Fallout3

The file you want will be called:

FALLOUT.ini

Open the .ini with Notepad & change this line:

bUseThreadedAI=0

to:

bUseThreadedAI=1

& insert this line under it:

iNumHWThreads=2

Save & close your ini.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Four years on and this post is still helping people. Me this time. Thanks for the good information, Prensa.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...